PDA

View Full Version : Just got Freedom Force!

BigGameHunter
14-04-2002, 07:16:22
Looks pretty cool so far...superhero RPG, RTS...interesting. Only problem is, needs 96RAM and I've only got 64...can only get through intro mission before it blue screens on me... :(
Now who's going to tell me how much and how hard it is to get some more memory and add it?

Darkstar
14-04-2002, 08:32:53
Gee... that sounds like the problem I had with FF. Blue Screening when I completed the first mission. I hope they get the patch out for that soon.

Good luck with the memory thing... ;)

Sean
14-04-2002, 10:29:59
The best time to buy memory was a few months back. Shame.

BigGameHunter
16-04-2002, 18:51:35
I went all out and bought the 256MB Ram card...cost me $60 (after a rebate I'll probably never send in). Now my computer is kicking freaking butt! Why didn't I do this before?!?
But now my PC doesn't seem to see my internal modem any longer....phuck!
Anyone have internal modem problems after putting in memory, or did I just unplug something when I changed the card?

Anyhow...Freedom Force rocks...lots of fun and very slick....maybe I should do a review?
How do I go about submitting it?

Venom
16-04-2002, 19:10:24
There's a link on the front page where you can send the article to the management.

Darkstar, some of us have played the game for weeks now without any problems.

Nav
16-04-2002, 22:01:53
it's submissions@counterglow.net btw.

BigGameHunter
17-04-2002, 02:14:56
I think the only reason why I was blue screening was because I was playing it with 64megs...now that it is at 256, no problems...other than the fact that I somehow jimmy-jacked my modem card and have to take that bitch apart again....keeping in mind I have no clue what I'm looking for on the repair...hopefully just a jarred card or something.

How are you liking the game Venom? MP any good? I find the control of characters a little spazzy and have to pause and command each one frequently in every melee...and that's just in the first couple of missions...but it seems like a great game so far.

The Mad Monk
17-04-2002, 06:10:03
You may want to make sure the chipset can handle 256 Megs (never been a problem for me, but I've heard it can happen).

Venom
17-04-2002, 13:37:21
I haven't played MP yet. But I do enjoy the game. The control scheme is a little goofy and I can't believe they didn't include an overhead map you can click on to easily navigate the city. I hate it when my team separates and I have to pause and look for them. Double clicking on the hero icons just isn't good enough. I want a fricken map. Pretty fun game though, and the cheese factor is just perfect for it being a comic book game.

BigGameHunter
17-04-2002, 19:05:37
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
You may want to make sure the chipset can handle 256 Megs (never been a problem for me, but I've heard it can happen).
Could you elaborate on this a little bit? If I find that there is nothing physically wrong with the modem, do I have to reset some values, or is the indication that my modem is just a frilly piece of crap that can't handle the upgraded RAM?

Aargh...

Venom...yes...the lack of radar or map is a major oversight IMO. Also, the bad guys tend to pop up out of nowhere, so original orders are often void when you give "distance" commands.
I haven't quite figured out how XP and CP etc are allotted...seems like the character who accomplishes the objective gets the points? In the pumphouse mission, Diablo and Mentor didn't seem to get jack shit for points and Minuteman got the lion's share...since he's the one I usually pick to destroy and kick butt...Mentor doesn't seem to get any points for waylaying opponents....plus, he's a pain because I order him to do something and it seems like he runs right into a pack of baddies to do his mojo....I guess my ADD is costing me strategy moves as usual...don't feel like mincing him up to the perimeter of his range and doing it that way. But maybe it is necessary?

Venom
18-04-2002, 12:00:49
Mentor will get much better when you upgrage him to his electron ray. Then he has a good ranged damaging weapon. Experience points for me have always been distributed pretty evenly for those who go on the missions, but I tend to use everyone as much as I can. I think everytime everyone who has gone on the mission ended up getting the same experience.

BigGameHunter
18-04-2002, 18:43:09
There's a lot going on in the game. I haven't really gotten into the whole "who is resistant/vulnerable to what" routine yet. I'm about to go on the first "real" mission I think--the carrier--and that is probably where I'll have to really start paying attention to the various components of attack and defense.
I'm just looking forward to completing the game and then starting over with the myriad skins/heros available online.
Unfortunately, the Monster In Law is coming to stay for a day or so, rendering computer fun obsolete and introducing 36 hours of teeth grinding and forced neutral platitudes in a vain attempt to not impose upon her fragile, butterfly wing thin ego.
She doesn't like me because she finds my vocabulary intimidating and "arrogant".

Geez...excuse me for reading books all my life you stupid beeeeatch!
:mad:

Venom
18-04-2002, 19:25:25
Damn you and your education.

The carrier mission is easy. Just use the barrels and look out of the carriers gatling guns.