PDA

View Full Version : It is funny how life works sometimes.

Oerdin
27-10-2005, 05:56:02
When I was 8 my aunt and uncle adopted two children. They were unable to have their own children but they thought they had a lot to offer and they had to wait for years on a waiting list before they were allowed to adopt. It turned out the boy and the girl they adopted where both drug babies (2 of 13 that their crack head parents had) only they didn't know the children were developmentally disabled (the state hadn't shared that information with them) when they adopted the children. Any way they raised my cousins though both had to take medications and had metal disorders due to their birth mother using cocaine and heroine while pregnant.

As they grew up all the doctors said the older girl Tammy was "more normal" while her younger brother Roy was supposedly much more developmentally disabled. Tammy saw a number of doctors and had to take medication but was well enough off that she could attend public schools and (as long as she was on her medication) seemed like a perfectly normal young girl. Roy however had major problems and needed to be in a live in facility due to his major outbursts of anger (he'd sometimes fly into uncontrollable rages over simple things where he'd break things and once even jumped out of a second story window when he was 14). I'm sorry to say it but everyone expected Roy to have a more difficult life while Tammy was, so the experts said, more or less normal despite her birth mother's extensive drug use.

Fast forward to today and Tammy has a major speed habit. She moved out at 18 and has bounced around from one boyfriend to the next for the last 4 years (her parents did everything short of locking her in the basement to prevent it but nothing worked), usually she'd break up with one boyfriend because she was caught cheating on him, and last year had a baby with her on again off again boyfriend and the state took away the baby because she was high when she gave birth. My aunt and uncle (my aunt's second husband) became foster parents for the baby and the state agreed Tammy could have the baby back if she completed a one year drug rehabilitation program and a parenting program. In the last year she's bothered to show up to a grand total of 2 meetings. Her life is fucked up.

For all the doubting people had about Roy and all the professional help he needed when he was younger Roy has actually turned out pretty good. He has a steady job, he's going to junior college, and he shares an apartment with three other guys his own age. Today was Roy's 21st birthday so my other cousins and I took him out on the town. It was pretty nice as we hit up a few pubs, went to a nice restaurant on the harbor, then we went to a fund raiser for the city's maritime museum held on the WW2 era aircraft carrier the USS Midway. It was fun since Hootie & the Blowfish played, people danced, and there was an open bar. At the end of the night they set off fire works from the aircraft carrier's deck.

About the only "abnormal" (and most people wouldn't even call it that; certainly not me) thing about Roy is that he has decided he is gay. Everyone in the family has accepted that except his dad (my aunt and uncle divorced a few years back partially because of disagreements over how to handle the children and partially because regular marital problems) and Roy's boyfriend came out with us tonight. He is a very nice Asian guy who is two years older then Roy. They seem to be doing very well together.

I just got home and I couldn't help but think about how funny life is sometimes. The one who everyone thought would turn out ok is all fucked up while the one everyone said was going to have a fucked up life seems to have everything together.

JM^3
27-10-2005, 06:16:30
there are a lot of emotional issues that can occur.. and that might be not apparent until the child gets of age... (when they start living 'their' life)

Jon Miller

Drekkus
27-10-2005, 07:21:13
My parents had high hopes for me, but I turned out to be a internet posting loser. Funny how that turns out to be.

Greg W
27-10-2005, 07:27:39
It's like the things people always say after 20 year school reunions. The cool ones are fat and ugly, and the ones you hated are nice, regular (lots of bran I suppose) people.

mr.G
27-10-2005, 07:29:12
and i am a retard, wooohoooooooo
and jolly jolly jolly

Drekkus
27-10-2005, 07:30:17
brain, or bran?

Oerdin
27-10-2005, 07:31:53
Atleast Mr. G has a nice bathroom.

mr.G
27-10-2005, 07:39:14
thank you,
but only the design is mine well that's the best part.

funny tho how for some ppl history repeats, I do think it's a hard thing to adopt children, don't think i can do that.

KrazyHorse@home
27-10-2005, 07:43:20
Hootie & the Blowfish played

I'm so sorry. :(

fp
27-10-2005, 07:53:09
Originally posted by Drekkus
brain, or bran?

Bran. It keeps you regular.

DaShi
27-10-2005, 09:17:23
That's pretty common. I was normal as a kid.

Tizzy
27-10-2005, 09:23:56
Life never goes exactly to plan.
When we were younger, I was always the cleverer one who everyone expected to do really well at university and do great things.
As it is, I didn't go to university and now spend my days talking gibberish on the interweb, whereas my "not quite so clever" sister will soon be a qualified accountant.

MoSe
27-10-2005, 10:40:32
in Basildon? and balding?

MoSe
27-10-2005, 10:44:47
anyway, when I enterd primary at five, I guess my parents thought I mgith eventually become a new einstein

Now, the fact that I have graduated (took me 15 years uni), I have a job (altho a bit underpaid), I've not become a drug addict and have failed yet to kill myself with obesity, is regarded as an achievement already
:coolgrin:
of course it would be perfect for my mom if I'd finally move out, but you can't have everything.
I'm working on that, it will take some more time :cute:

Tizzy
27-10-2005, 10:49:15
Originally posted by MoSe
in Basildon? and balding?

No. And no.
Well, maybe, I haven't seen her for a while :hmm:

Venom
27-10-2005, 12:19:03
Once again, Oerdin posts the plot to a bad Lifetime movie.

The Norks
27-10-2005, 18:31:28
I think he's channelling Darkstar too :D

Oerdin
28-10-2005, 00:56:49
Ir must be the long post which reminds you of darkstar because I sure didn't post some half-witted revisionist nonsense. :p

Cruddy
28-10-2005, 02:53:07
Oh, I wouldn't judge either of them untl they hit 40.

MoSe
28-10-2005, 08:22:54
Originally posted by Oerdin
Ir must be the long post which reminds you of darkstar because I sure didn't post some half-witted revisionist nonsense. :p

Why, did you think we READ his posts??????

MoSe
28-10-2005, 08:23:36
Originally posted by Cruddy
Oh, I wouldn't judge either of them untl they hit 40.

40 pages of either Darkstar's or Oerdin's posts??????

BigGameHunter
31-10-2005, 06:59:37
I was a fucking child prodigy and look at me now...pretty classic for brilliant kids, eh? Ever heard of someone starting out like Doogie Howser and ending up ok? No? Didn't think so.
But I'll show them...I'm going to be a late bloomer as well.
Mwhaahahahahahahaah!

King_Ghidra
31-10-2005, 09:13:53
in this country BGH, the child prodigies end up having sex changes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,541633,00.html

Lauren Harries, similarly, became a minor celebrity earlier this year on the back of a single television appearance in 1990 when she was 12 and a (still male) child antiques genius called James. She stopped going to school at 14 because of bullying, the same year as she published a book on how to make money out of jumble sales. In March she had a sex-change operation, and, now 23, would like a career in television.