PDA

View Full Version : PES 5 - first thoughts

King_Ghidra
24-10-2005, 11:07:23
semi-traditional thread to talk about the new pes

overall - superb, best yet (quel surprise)

why?

good things

love the new ball movement, the way it bounces off challenges and doesn't seem to sit so conveniently at player's feet any more

the tackling dynamics are brilliant, players get chopped down much less easily by sliding challenges and often leap over them and retain possession. the improvements to stop abuse of the x button are good too

the players seem to have more solidity about them, they go shoulder to shoulder more often and also lose momentum when the run into other players

the medium and higher crosses are much better again, scored a few headers from whipped balls from the wing

edit mode returns with a vengeance, loads of choice and options, a massive improvement

disappointments

very little in the way of graphical improvements , though some of the animations are noticeably improved. i guess we are just reaching the limits of the ps2's powers

the commentary has been recycled

novacane
24-10-2005, 11:39:30
Ditto.

Overall, excellent for all the reasons above. Lots more loose play and tussles for the ball. I think the shooting has improved a lot. More accurate, more powerful (depending on the player). Seen lots of nice goals. Feels very realistic.

Only complaint is that the stadiums often appear half-empty, yet full when replays are shown. Perhaps a bug. Supporter levels are set to max as it is.

King_Ghidra
24-10-2005, 12:10:47
actually i heard something about the half-empty stadiums in an interview with sea bass, it was done for performance reasons

novacane
24-10-2005, 12:48:57
what do you mean? So the game performs better?

fp
24-10-2005, 12:51:43
Have they made many changes to the Master League this time around? If so, what?

I wasn't too happy with the direction they were taking it before. I didn't like my players aging and becoming worse and the game being flooded with 17 year old regen players in the third season. The transfer system was rubbish too. Although saying that I still played it loads. :D

fp
24-10-2005, 12:54:23
Originally posted by novacane
what do you mean? So the game performs better?

Yes. Even in Pro Evo 4 I noticed that the game would occasionally slow down for a few seconds during goal-mouth scrambles etc. Not every time, but it did it enough for it to get a little irrititating. If they've got the PS2 doing more work this time in terms of animation and physics calculations they may have had to lighten the load to make it run more smoothly.

On a different note, I'm not even sure why they bother with the commentary. It has also sucked something awful.

King_Ghidra
24-10-2005, 13:05:57
btw

A new advert promoting Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer 5 has been banned from our screens by UK censors.

The ad, which stars John Terry and Thierry Henry, depicts a lawnmower being driven over an electric cable - something which could cause serious injury in real life, such as your skeleton all flashing through your skin and your hair sticking up while all smoke comes off your clothes.

Problem is that little kiddies can't always tell the difference between telly and real life, apparently, and the particularly stupid ones tend to copy what they see on screen - so for health and safety issues, the ad has been banned.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61371

and as funny as that is, one of the user comments on the article made me laugh even more:

Jammy
24-Oct-05 12:44:29 they ban an advert about a guy mowing over a power cable, yet they allow men to dress up in drag and walk around Amsterdam in those bounty ads. it's a joke

:lol:x100

King_Ghidra
25-10-2005, 10:00:56
Originally posted by fp
Have they made many changes to the Master League this time around? If so, what?

I wasn't too happy with the direction they were taking it before. I didn't like my players aging and becoming worse and the game being flooded with 17 year old regen players in the third season. The transfer system was rubbish too. Although saying that I still played it loads. :D

not too many changes, coming up to the end of the first season and so far it has been very similar. the league structure and competitions are all the same as pes4.

the player development graphs seem to be a bit more generous, so older current players don't just stagnate and fall off in skills immediately. i haven't seen any regens yet but i am pretty sure they will be there as before (what was it you hated about them fp? i only ever had a dozen or so at most each season)

transfers are basically the same too, although it's a bit less confusing and also easier to target half-decent players who will actually sign for you

the training off-season is a lot more automated and less trouble too

overall despite being very similar, it's a lot more friendly and less hard work

fp
25-10-2005, 10:12:34
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
i haven't seen any regens yet but i am pretty sure they will be there as before (what was it you hated about them fp? i only ever had a dozen or so at most each season)

Too good and too cheap. For example, the real Oliver Kahn was a very expensive goalie because his stats were so high. However, he retires after the first season in Pro Evo 4 and you can pick up his regen in the off-season for next to nothing.

fp
25-10-2005, 10:13:21

overall despite being very similar, it's a lot more friendly and less hard work

:beer:

Gary
25-10-2005, 13:23:31
what do you mean? So the game performs better? Naw... so the team plays better. They get awkward and embarrassed if there's too many watching :)

Funko
26-10-2005, 09:20:26
Hopefully the game has arrived at Tizzy's work so I can play it this evening. Woo!

Tizzy
26-10-2005, 10:02:45
Jesjes :D

Funko
26-10-2005, 10:12:16
:beer:

Nills Lagerbaak
26-10-2005, 10:13:58
The commentry in theis series of games was always a selling point for me. Dispite the excellent playing action, many a stoned night in was spent getting the players to repeatedly head the ball to each other.

"head......header.....it's a good header.......heheads it......THAT BOY'S GOT A STEEL SKULL!!!!.....head.......header......"

etc. etc. Most amusing!

Debaser
26-10-2005, 10:37:42
"He must have a head like a donkey!"

Happy days...

King_Ghidra
26-10-2005, 10:41:56
yes it's a loss less amusing and a lot more pedestrian these days, funny how those early attempts at sophistication had such a great naive charm, and now that the commentary does sound like real football comentary it's just deathly boring (like real football commentary)

Funko
26-10-2005, 10:43:13
I used to love hearing

GERMANY! are behind.

Nills Lagerbaak
26-10-2005, 10:56:20
Yes, most amusing.

"It's TEN -NIL!!!! Well, anything could happen in this game." :DMuch more entertaining than "real" commentry.

Funko
26-10-2005, 11:00:26
:lol:

Although that reminds me of the classic game of International Superstar Soccer where you scored right at the start said "this is going to be a thrashing" and I beat you 10-1 ;)

Nills Lagerbaak
26-10-2005, 11:11:02
:lol: I thought I was going to thrash you too :(

Still I remember when I beat you at warcraft so bad you stole my controller and tried to make me kill myself :lol:

My death and decay was always your undoing!

Funko
26-10-2005, 11:15:06
That was cheating. :(

You should have got warcraft III when you had an internet connection.

Nills Lagerbaak
26-10-2005, 11:17:52
I did, but I borrowed your copy so only one of us could play it!

Funko
26-10-2005, 11:19:34
Yes, I meant bought so we could play against each other. :)

Nills Lagerbaak
26-10-2005, 11:39:54
I know what you meant! I almost did buy it. Damn it would have been fun to whoop your ass again :D

Zopperoni
26-10-2005, 18:15:25
I just played it a bit. It's good, not revolutionary better than PES4, but fortunately not worse.

I'm anxiously awaiting the new Wolf patch though before seriously playing.

fp
26-10-2005, 19:18:56
Wolf patch?

Zopperoni
26-10-2005, 19:35:32
There was a patch for PES4, made by Wolf, that had all the right kits, stadium names, player names et cetera.

Funko
27-10-2005, 10:43:20
Played a few games last night, did a bit of training.

Played Chelsea Arsenal as the first match, scored twice in the first half and was worried it was too easy but that turned out to be a bit of a fluke! Ended up 2-2 after I relaxed second half.

It is definitely better. Much more difficult to work into shooting positions (at least at the moment) but when you get into good positions it seems you are more likely to score.

It's also a lot harder to ping round loads of one touch passes without really thinking about it.

Nav
27-10-2005, 11:52:51
There's a head to head review between this game and the latest Fifa in todays Guardian. Basically they said that while Fifa is still not as good as PES it is catching up, commentary is much better as well as lots of different menu music.

Thinking of getting this on the PC rather than the Playstation. Just need to buy a PS2 controller convertor.

Debaser
27-10-2005, 11:57:15
I often buy games because they have good menu music.

King_Ghidra
27-10-2005, 12:04:46

the thing is, i had think about that to make sure you were joking

Funko
27-10-2005, 12:23:36
Originally posted by Nav
There's a head to head review between this game and the latest Fifa in todays Guardian. Basically they said that while Fifa is still not as good as PES it is catching up, commentary is much better as well as lots of different menu music.

Thinking of getting this on the PC rather than the Playstation. Just need to buy a PS2 controller convertor.

You can buy a PS2 style controller for the PC...

fp
27-10-2005, 12:51:49
It's easier just to buy a USB adaptor and driver CD so you can use your existing PS2 controller though. IMHO.

Zopperoni
27-10-2005, 13:03:16
Yea, and the PS clone is made by Logitech, which means that it poops out on you after six months.

Just like mine did.

Funko
27-10-2005, 14:01:32
Fair enough. :)

I'm just getting a PS2 network adapter... we'll see how that works I guess.

Funko
28-10-2005, 08:32:40
Had another quick game this morning before work, I'm officially getting worse with every match. :lol:

fp
28-10-2005, 08:43:56
Inspired partly by this thread and partly by the north london derby today, I played as Spurs against Arsenal on Pro Evo 4 last night (diff level 6, 15 min game). Robbie Keane got a hat-trick on the way to a 4-0 Spurs rout of the gooners. A sign of things to come perhaps?

King_Ghidra
28-10-2005, 09:05:27
no

and the north london derby is tomorrow not today

Funko
28-10-2005, 09:07:45
One of the best things about 5, in a way, is it forces you to lose any bad habits you might have picked up.

Things like holding X to tackle, which was already stamped down on in 4, is now a total no no. You can swoop in and steal the ball off a players feet with great timing but steaming in to a player in a challenge is almost always a foul.

On the plus side they seem to have put a lot of subtle but good work into sliding tackles and a good sliding tackle is much less likely to end in a foul than it was on 4. I haven't had a "why the hell was that a foul I got the ball!" circle challenge yet... Oh and if you hit O to do a sliding challenge when you are miles from an opponent (accidently changes man or whatever) it makes the player start to slide but pull out of the challenge which gets them on their feet faster.

You also can't just ping the ball around without really thinking where your players are any more. The AI is much better at positioning itself and intercepting loose passes even on ***. You need to work every pass properly.

It's also a lot less forgiving at badly timed headers, and just hammering the buttons doesn't help you.

Of course, you lot might not do that stuff anyway but I did some of it some of the time. :)

Funko
28-10-2005, 09:16:56
ps. I've predicted 1-0 to tottenham as Henry's injured so that should truly fuck Spurs chances, sorry.

King_Ghidra
28-10-2005, 10:05:02
no i think you're spot on about forcing away the bad habits.

it's brilliant, i can't find fault with the gameplay yet. the defensive ai is definitely much better, in particular, when a through ball finds some forward completely umarked in the middle now it's normally because he's offside, not because the left back you can't even see has somehow forgotten where he is and played him onside

one thing i will say, i have scored a lot of goals from certain types of corners, i haven't experimented much with higher skill levels or played enough vs human yet to know if it can be followed through though

novacane
28-10-2005, 10:24:55
Think I'm still yet to score from a corner which seems odd. Don't think I've seen a red card yet either. Also a little undecided about whether foul play is punished enough. You can still get away with cynically breaking up the play with little fouls when you know your opponent is superior. This is and always has been Gramercy's favourite tactic. However, we discussed that the other day and in fairness, it is a tactic some teams choose to employ so I guess its all fair game. Bloody frustrating sometimes though.

Its still a great game. The shooting has improved ten fold. Not nearly as wayward. Much more responsive. The possibility of scoring a great, yet realistic goal seems to be increased significantly. Gone are the days when a great move is ruined by a duff looking finish. I scored a goal with Andrew Cole the other day which had his shooting technique to a tee. It really looked like an Andrew Cole type of goal. But as we've all agreed, the general gameplay and flow is the most impressive improvement. Pretty faultless

fp
28-10-2005, 10:26:00
no

and the north london derby is tomorrow not today

doh!

I have today off work so it feels like a Saturday! :D

Funko
28-10-2005, 10:38:26
I've only had time to play a handful of matches so far (including getting up a bit early for one this morning) so I'm hoping for a lot more play over the weekend.

However: re the Free Kick situation. From what little I've played so far I think giving away lots of free kicks will be a very bad thing to do once people get more to grips with the improved free kick system.

The fact that you can select the power of passes and through balls from free kicks as well as crosses and high balls means you can do some clever things. Haven't scored from one (yet) but I've had a few Endsleigh Goalmouth Scrambles after Free Kicks even from relatively far out.

Funko
28-10-2005, 11:46:53
PC users - patch out later today:

http://pesfan.com/bulletin/showthread.php?t=90526

Funko
28-10-2005, 11:48:27
PS2 patch already out:

http://www.pesfan.com/bulletin/showthread.php?t=87057

Nav
28-10-2005, 12:18:55
Well bought the PC version and controller convertor from Play. Still cheaper than the PS2 version!

a PS2 patch how is that possible? (cant see thread)

Funko
28-10-2005, 12:22:44
via a usb thingy.

Funko
28-10-2005, 12:56:52
It's well worth registering at PESFan if you haven't already.

Just found some great stats* about exactly what the happy/sad arrows mean. I've known for ages that they were "almost more important than stats" but this tells you exactly what bonuses/negatives they give you.

http://pesfan.com/bulletin/showthread.php?t=83044

eg. a player with 70 kick power on full red arrow gets +12 which would put him on 82
a player with 94 kick power on a full grey down arrow would get -12 putting them on 82. Some stats go as low as -18 on the down grey arrow.

So a mediocre player on full red could actually be better than your star player on a full down grey. Also, if they are injured but come back on they are going to be utter shite...

*He only has the PES3 stats but I imagine it's similar on the later versions...

Oh yeah, and it's also reminded me about the massively improved formation settings. how many varieties of 4-4-2 etc? - loads.

maroule
28-10-2005, 14:05:22
I bought PES because of KG and Funko raving about it (I was a fifa player, up until PES came out on the xbox)

This game is indeed much better than fifa, I grant you that, but I'm either remarkably crap, or it's very difficult. i never moved up from 3 stars difficulty (6 in total), and that's after playing tens of hours.

For a start, I never use the trick buttons (little black oneon the xbox controler) and I don't dribble much (you should use the pad and not the lest stick on the xbox controller, but I hate the pad).

I'm probably missing something. Is there a fan site giving tips (apart from Funko's link above)?

Funko
28-10-2005, 14:22:05
It's both very difficult and you are crap. :)

You need to dribble a fair amount... how crap would a team be if they just passed from standing still and didn't dribble much? Especially important in the final third of the pitch to beat defenders and set up or score goals.

What are the 'trick buttons'? On the PS2 the tricks are performed mostly by combinations of directions and the two sprint buttons/change player button. That seems to be the case on the X-box for PES5 as well.

Also...

There is some debate on the fan forums that 3 stars is one of the more difficult skill levels (this is in PES4, PES5 is too new) because the computer sits back and defends so deep. It is better attacking on higher levels but also more adventurous which leaves gaps in between.

King_Ghidra
28-10-2005, 14:31:39
well you definitely need to make full use of the 'special' moves. the key ones imho are:

the 1-2 (on ps2 hold L1 and pass, the passer will run on to receive a return pass - this is actually possible in pes5 through another method as well.) but this is a key skill for making space and beating the last couple of defenders, though i tend to use it in all parts of the pitch, it always helps to beat marking

the lofted through ball (on ps2 hold L1 and triangle for a through pass, and you get a nice through ball that will go over defenders heads) - great again for letting pacy attackers beat defenders

the low cross (a triple press of the cross button, need to press it very quickly but you get a very fast low cross that can cause own goals or easy tap ins)

you should also acquaint yourself with using the sidestep (which is now activated by simply pressing a direction 90 degrees from the the direction of run) to go round players

on defense:

make use of the pressure button (square on ps2) to bring up a computer controlled defender to assist (you have to be careful because it can cause fouls but it can really help)

on free kicks:

apply curl (left or right as the power bar rises) whenever possible. when i started doing this i got loads more goals from corners.

other than that not too much to say, keep at it, don't be afraid to use free practice to try things out :D

maroule
28-10-2005, 14:51:13
fuck, I haven't done any of this...
I still win the master's league regularly, but I have to buy all the best players in the world to do that (including maradone, platuni, Kruyff, and all other mispelt heros)

what I find SUPER irritating is that world class players still take an amazing amount of time simply to control the ball (esp defenders, when changing directions, they have hips in concrete or what?). Fuck, even I control the bal quicker.

Funko
28-10-2005, 15:32:05
There are different ways to do that. Using the slow spint button (R2 on the PS2) when stationary turns you way faster for instance.

Zopperoni
28-10-2005, 20:16:44
Thanks for the tip, Mike. I just downloaded and installed the PC patch, and it's brilliant.

fp
30-10-2005, 18:20:09
Originally posted by maroule

I'm probably missing something. Is there a fan site giving tips (apart from Funko's link above)?

You're posting on it. :D

Funko
31-10-2005, 14:47:38
Was PES4 this hard?

Damn good though. Won the world cup (yay) and have started a masterleague (2nd place, I am the king of the 1-0 victory!)

Starting to get the hang of things though and I've scored some great goals. :beer:

Nav
31-10-2005, 15:19:34
I bought out my copy of PES for a match this weekend before the new one arrived this week. To my horror I discovered I only had PES 2!! Things might have changed a bit between 2 and 5...

Funko
31-10-2005, 15:28:18
Just a bit!

Funko
31-10-2005, 15:57:10
Oh...

Other little touches I like -

Rooney's spotty face :lol:

In the match stats the little star for the man of the match and comments on who did well in a game (gonna get boring once I've seen them all a few times but currently a novelty)

Getting 8/8.5 for a performance (never managed that in PES4, even when I scored 4 goals with one player in a game he only got 7.5)

Oh, in the master league you can 'regulate condition' without having to play a mini bit of football, and it tells you what happened to everyone really clearly. Still not sure if it's worth doing or not, if the players are all happy maybe you shouldn't train them? Anyone know any more about that?

King_Ghidra
31-10-2005, 16:20:02
well in my experience, it certainly increases the chance of players either going up to a green or having a yellow or red arrow, although it does occasionally drop them to a blue.

i use it every time i remember to :D

Funko
03-11-2005, 09:36:00
I have my network adaptor! Woo.

Tonight I'm going to try playing online. Will let you know how it goes.

Nav
03-11-2005, 09:52:42
It arrived yesterday! Played a few games and actually managed to score a couple of goals!

One a was a lucky rebound the other a very large deflection, though the cross preceeding the former and the cutback for the latter were sublime skill. ;)

Now I've actually read and understood how the controls have changed since v. 2, I might fare a bit better.

Will have to try it online too... Can PC play verses PS2? :D

Funko
03-11-2005, 09:57:20
Yep... apparently all formats are compatible online.

Nav
03-11-2005, 10:13:09
Cool, let me know if you manage to get online and we can have a match!

Funko
03-11-2005, 10:24:22
OK! :beer:

Funko
03-11-2005, 17:22:38
Just been reading a guide to getting your PS2 online because I don't really believe how easy it is... but it seems it really is as easy as sticking the network adaptor in, plugging in to your modem, putting in the config information (if your ISP isn't already on the disk) and playing.

And totally free! :beer:

fp
04-11-2005, 07:01:49
Hope it turned out OK... :D

Funko
04-11-2005, 09:11:55
Didn't work. :(

Seems that if the different formats are compatible (which is what I read) you don't end up in the same place to play against each other so... really they aren't. Was going to look into that today.

I did get the PS2 up and running with the online stuff though and it seems really comprehensive. There's a point and league structure etc. And the servers have different lobbies, some of which are only for people at a certain level. Might try playing some random people and see how good/fast the online play is.

Funko
04-11-2005, 09:12:53
Here's where I read that:

http://uk.gs.konami-europe.com/game/news.do;jsessionid=76757091F8CB21B6E05C6DB7927CDFC B.srv01?idGameNews=118&idGame=88&idGamePlatformInfo=

Funko
04-11-2005, 09:18:38
It's possible that I misread it and what it actually means is that all formats will be "compatible with online play" not "compatible with online play against each other" which is a shame.

Nav
04-11-2005, 09:55:49
Yeah online play against different formats would have been really cool. Maybe something for PES6!

Get it on the PC too it's only 18 on play.com, the USB PS2 gamepad adaptor is 8 . Then we can play online! ;)

Funko
04-11-2005, 09:57:39
Does it require the disk in the drive to play it? :cute:

Nav
04-11-2005, 10:03:16
ha ha, probably not when the 'patch' comes out. ;)

Funko
07-11-2005, 09:38:49
Played a few games against K_G last night (my first vs human action on PES 5) and it was pretty good. Very tight... it really is much better than PES4.

King_Ghidra
07-11-2005, 10:08:29
very kind of you not to mention that i didn't manage to beat you in any of the three games :D

1-0, 1-1, 1-1? was that right?

Funko
07-11-2005, 11:06:07
:)

The last one, Inter Valencia was 0-0?

King_Ghidra
07-11-2005, 11:13:26
Ah yes. 1 goal in 3 games. My attacking efforts certainly weren't rewarded :cry:

Funko
07-11-2005, 11:21:28
Just realised we have the relevant avatars for the Chelsea ManU matches.

I think it helped me in the first two matches that even though I've maybe not played quite as much I've played with Chelsea a lot. I was doing a lot worse with Inter in the third game and was lucky to come away with a 0-0. I didn't ever really have any chances in that one.

Funko
11-11-2005, 11:34:00
Apparently PES5 has been the fastest selling football game of all time. (in the UK)

Nav
11-11-2005, 12:47:23
That's wicked. Shove it up FIFA's arse! :p

oh and I haven't had much practice as intended, didnt get home till 1am lastnight damnit. Though I did comtemplate staying up all night playing... ;)

JM^3
11-11-2005, 12:48:27
I thought wining eleven seven or something like that was the best?

(note I only played once or twice..)

JM

Nav
11-11-2005, 12:49:55
same game different branding. (at least I think that's how it works)

Funko
11-11-2005, 13:06:09
Yes, Winning Eleven is the US/Japanese name for the same series.

PES5 is the equivalent of Winning Eleven 9 I think.

Venom
11-11-2005, 13:12:30
Oh what a day it will be when we have Winning Eleven 11.

And if they're the same, why are the numbers off?

Funko
11-11-2005, 13:42:44
This is the Playstation/PS2 series only (if you add in Nintendo console titles it gets even more complicated)

Japan - Europe - US (where different from Japan)

Perfect Eleven - International Superstar Soccer
Fighting Eleven - International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
Winning Eleven - Goal Storm
Winning Eleven '97 - Goal Storm 97
Perfect Striker - International Superstar Soccer Professional
Winning Eleven 3 World Cup France '98 - ISS 98
Winning Eleven 4 - ISS Pro Evolution
Winning Eleven 2000 - ISS Pro Evolution 2 - ESPN MLS Gamenight
Winning Eleven 5- Pro Evolution Soccer
Winning Eleven 6 - Pro Evolution Soccer 2
Winning Eleven 7 - Pro Evolution Soccer 3
Winning Eleven 8 - Pro Evolution Soccer 4
Winning Eleven 9 - Pro Evolution Soccer 5

novacane
11-11-2005, 16:06:53
They should bring back Fighting Eleven.

Funko
11-11-2005, 16:11:27
I liked Perfect Striker

King_Ghidra
18-11-2005, 09:44:01
I am struggling with pes5

i've won all kinds of trophies but only on 3 and 4 star. playing the european championship on 4 star with spain was like having my teeth pulled

i am getting very frustrated with several gameplay aspects: the sluggishness of the players, the fact that half of my passes, even simple short ones, seem to go awry, the fact that the 1-2's seem to be much less useful, the way that the improved goalie AI means every lofted through ball is easily cut out, the fact that the triple tap low cross is completely anaemic, to name but a few

having probably now played a good 75+ games, i can't believe most of my results are still 1-0 or 0-0. I don't think i've ever played a pes game for so long where putting a decent attacking move together is so hard

either pes5 is much harder, i suck (highly unlikely :cute: ), or i haven't adapted properly yet

Nav
18-11-2005, 10:00:06
I'm struggling to cope with defending. Playing teams of a similar level I have a real struggle. The AI is always really tight on me, and I struggle to do the same with them. Have scored 1 goal in 4 games at 3star now. :(

Funko
18-11-2005, 10:15:16
I think it's bit of all three of those. ;)

It's definitely harder but I am also finding it more satisfying. That said I've played way, way fewer than 75 games, probably half that, so not sure if I'll plateau at some point. With my Chelsea ML team (real players) on 3* I'm starting to get more regular 2-0 wins rather than 1-0s or 0-0s.

I've scored from moves using triple tap crosses, lofted through balls and 1-2s but they are all a lot harder to pull off than before. You need the players in the right spot, the right strikers/defenders etc. I think maybe before those moves were a little too easy to pull off? They still work but they are hard. The double tap cross has also been toned down but the single tap cross is improved. Which seems more realistic. Normal 'header' crosses are back on the menu. :beer: Oooh, and the early cross is great. Either for switching play to the other wing or scoring from. I find that makes a lot of space especially with the 2 winger formation that so many teams have by default.

I had a great series of games against Nav last weekend. He won more than me, often against the run of play because he scored freely when he had chances. We did both have a 3-1 win though. I think, possibly, in a way him not having had PES 3 and PES 4 is an advantage because he has less to unlearn.

I'm actually really enjoying the vs computer play as well. For the first time it really feels very similar to playing a human which is a great advance for the AI I think. 4 was better but even then it felt like it cheated when it scored sometimes. Like it'd suddenly put together a perfect move out of nowhere. PES5 seems much more real.

I wonder if it's also partly down to individual style, I found PES 4 a real struggle. It took me a lot of games to get to grips with that but PES 3 was really natural.

Funko
18-11-2005, 10:16:16
x-post. Looks like my defeats were maybe due to defensive lapses then. :lol:

novacane
18-11-2005, 10:16:36
I think its just incredibly realistic. Football is a frustrating game when moves break down and passes go astray but thats the nature of the game. i think that has been captured near perfectly on the game. Do we really want a game where every 1-2 or low cross works and finds its target? I'd soon get bored of that. You have to grind results out a bit on PES5 but I've had some comfortable wins on 5 stars. I find that the first goal can often be crucial. Gramercy and I have had a couple of attempts at winning the World Cup with England on 5 stars and we've beaten some good teams along the way and come very close without taking the prize. Again, very realistic!! I don't think it right to moan that your tried and tested moves aren't working anymore. Its challenging. Rise to the challenge.

Debaser (Inter), Gramercy (Valencia) and I (Kiev) had a Tournoi last night.

Results
Inter 1-1 Dinamo Kiev
Valencia 1-1 Inter
Dinamo Kiev 2-2 Valencia
(played in snow with an orange ball - class!)

Funko
18-11-2005, 10:17:54
Quality. I'll have to get in on a tournoi with you guys soon. :beer:

novacane
18-11-2005, 10:40:12
Yeah, we'll sort one out soon. Now that we're all familiar with PES5.

Funko
18-11-2005, 10:42:35
before K_G gets good? ;)

Nav
18-11-2005, 10:44:16
Originally posted by Funko
x-post. Looks like my defeats were maybe due to defensive lapses then. :lol: :D I can think of one scuffed pass into goal in-particular, but I did score a few screamers (one from Gerrard in particular) that were pure skill. ;)

Funko
18-11-2005, 10:50:47
Those were in the same game as well. Gerrard got 2 screamers but that scuff in was a joke. :cry:

If I could remember who the Fulham keeper was I'd slag him off...

Funko
18-11-2005, 10:52:27
For those not there...

Nav put a through ball into the edge of the box. My defender intercepted but didn't control it properly and just knocked it into the path of baros who also miscontrolled it so it slowly dribbled into the goal past the stationary keeper. :cry:

And then, as I was still protesting the crapness and unfairness of the goal he scored an absolute screamer from 30 yards with Gerrard. :bash:

God I love PES. :D

King_Ghidra
18-11-2005, 10:54:38

novacane, i do agree about the realism aspect, and i still think it's the best pes ever, but i just find it a little frustrating in that it feels as though i am not quite as in control of things as i was in pes4 (for whatever reason).

sometimes it is like banging your head a against a brick wall as your fifth consecutive through ball is conveniently overhit and neatly scooped up by the keeper, or as your striker is far too early with his run, leading to an inevitable offside. these things may be skill related but i'm not sure, some of them seem rather beyond my control

Funko
18-11-2005, 11:02:35
I don't think the lofted through balls ever work if you are too close to the goal. The limit for using them is further out than it used to be in 4. I've not successfully used one from much outside my own half.

But you can fire them to wide men from closer.

Funko
18-11-2005, 11:08:54
The passes going astray thing can be annoying.

I am definitely sometimes not sure if I pressed the wrong direction or not...

Funko
18-11-2005, 11:09:25
Wow, that sentence is really shit.

novacane
18-11-2005, 11:15:24
I'm playing devil's advocate here slightly because I have also found the game unbearably frustrating on a number of occasions.

Sounds like you might be trying to be a bit ambitious with some of your play though. How often are lofted through balls spot on? Its quite rare. As Funko says, there should be (and are) only certain areas of the pitch where this can work from. IMO, the players on my team seem to take up good positions and I've found that keeping the ball on the deck is much more fruitful. As it should be.

There are little things in the game which can help with through balls, like each players D-line control setting. If that is set as a special ability, the players make more intelligent runs and are more likely to spring the offside trap. But, its just practice I think.

I've not bothered with 3/4 stars either cos I think it makes stepping up to 5 stars much harder.

Funko
18-11-2005, 11:17:17
" like each players D-line control setting. If that is set as a special ability,"

Huh?!

Funko
18-11-2005, 11:21:52
I think I tend to see the frustrating moments as me sucking. :lol:

novacane
18-11-2005, 11:28:30
" like each players D-line control setting. If that is set as a special ability,"

Huh?!

Its in the editing menu under special abilities. I don't really bother with it but I am aware that it exists. Might make a difference to runs onto lofted through balls. But its still easy to overhit them. True to life.

Funko
18-11-2005, 11:30:20
I haven't even opened the editing menu. :D

What I'm confused about is what is "D-line control setting"?

novacane
18-11-2005, 11:33:44
I don't know why its called that, but when you go into special abilities, it gives scrolling instructions on what each one does, if activated. For attackers the D-line control means that they make more intelligent forward runs. For defenders, it means they play a better offside trap. So maybe "D" stands for defensive or something. I'm not sure whether it would make much difference, I'd imagine Henry, Adriano etc would already have this activated.

Funko
18-11-2005, 11:35:15
Ah right. I see. That makes sense. Yes, the special abilities are really important. I tend to kind of learn a team by practice rather than knowing what the abilities really mean at the moment.

Funko
18-11-2005, 11:37:05
God.. I am hungover but there's no excuse for these ridiculous sentences. Brain no worky.

King_Ghidra
18-11-2005, 11:46:50
it is really important, as i was saying to you the other day mike, i had a player in pes4 who was always offside, and i realised it was because he had the 'scoring' star, which made him make more aggressive runs, but increased risk of being offside. By playing quicker through balls and more lofted through balls to him he was really effective, whereas i had been tearing my hair out before as he kept ruining my short passing game.

Funko
18-11-2005, 11:48:13
Yeah... I tend to learn that by playing with a team rather than by looking at the abilities. I should probably study up.

I am definitely much better with teams I know well than ones I've never played. Significantly so.

Funko
18-11-2005, 11:48:37
Oh, has anyone got the hang of the "middle shoot" special ability yet? (might not be called that exactly... Lampard and Gerrard have it, supposed to end up in some spectactular goals.)

novacane
18-11-2005, 11:59:00
I've generally found that the long-range shooting is much better on PES5. Not sure about the impact of the middle-shoot thing but I guess that would increase the chances of scoring from long/mid-range.

BTW, I'm up for a tournoi tonight if you guys are free. Planning to stay in, as is Gramercy and Debaser said he "might" be round. Only thing I wanna watch on TV is Peep Show at 10, but obviously Gramercy may have other ideas. I think Emmerdale, Corrie and Eastenders are on too. :rolleyes:

Funko
18-11-2005, 12:06:22
It's supposed to really take effect on the long shots with the new 'controlled shot' option but you need to be running at the right speed etc as well. I haven't managed to do it yet I don't think...

Funko
18-11-2005, 12:10:43
Tonight - maybe. It does sound good. :) But I am knackered and me and Tizzy are supposed to be having a quiet night in.

Will let you know later.

Funko
18-11-2005, 12:15:45
Anyone fancy going to the pub for Arsenal vs Wigan on Sunday? I'd be happy to host some PES action after that, or something.

maroule
18-11-2005, 16:08:35
I'm playing on 2 stars and winning too easily, or playing 3 stars and mostly loosing 1-0, which drives me nuts. i think that, as I'm getting older I have lost the will and the dexterity to excell at 'action' video games (where the brain-hands motivation is important). Only turn-based games will do, for the next 50 years... very sad...

King_Ghidra
18-11-2005, 16:25:13
BTW, I'm up for a tournoi tonight if you guys are free

i'm there. batty boy can go and watch the cockneys fight in his bedroom if he can't deal with it

King_Ghidra
18-11-2005, 16:25:36
and maroule

you suck

Funko
18-11-2005, 16:29:31
go and watch the cockneys fight in his bedroom

That's a euphemism I'm not familiar with!

Funko
18-11-2005, 16:56:19
BTW - I have a feeling you guys are British Sea Power fans? They are playing at the Uni tonight.

novacane
18-11-2005, 17:03:54
Yeah, Katherine just texted me to say she has 2 complimentary tix going spare if anyone fancies it. I think they're really dull.

King_Ghidra
18-11-2005, 17:04:36
heresey!

i'm not much up for it myself, but i think debaser was looking for tickets, and i'm sure gramercy would like to go too

Funko
18-11-2005, 17:05:07
x-post. damn you K_G

novacane
18-11-2005, 17:06:03
I better buy some phone credit then. :rolleyes:

Why can't they be on CG when you need them?

Thats rhetorical

King_Ghidra
18-11-2005, 17:07:59
x-post. damn you K_G

30 i may be, but i still got it :smoke:

King_Ghidra
21-11-2005, 12:02:57
friday night's games:

gramercy (USA) 1 - 0 K_G (mexico)
gramercy (?) 0 - 2 novacane (?)
novacane (australia) 0 - 2 K_G (slovakia)

slovakia were much better than mexico, that's for sure, i scored a lovely direct free kick with djordevic

and novacane got two men sent off against me, the clod, whereas gramercy's more subtle and disruptive fouling went unpunished and was far more effective

Funko
21-11-2005, 12:09:26
I had a brief update on that game from novacane about that match on Saturday night.

I haven't had a man sent off yet but Nav did against me and his team seemed to cover the gaps very well without him changing his formation, which was annoying (but again, good AI)

novacane
21-11-2005, 12:13:30
You were Serbia & Montenegro against me. My game v Gramercy was Paraguay v Ukraine.

Your win against me counts for very little really. Australia were stat-deficient in all departments and I obviously have no answer to free-kick takers who boast 90+ ability. I can't even remember the red cards. Really, you should be a little concerned that you could only beat a 9-man (at half-time) Australia 2-0, one goal of which was more down to your free-kick takers ability than your own.

I can lose with grace, but not under such circumstances.

King_Ghidra
21-11-2005, 13:23:58
:lol: i'm not rising to that half-baked bunch of lies and whining

suffice to say, a) you seemed to get on all right with shevchenko when you took apart poor gramercy, and b) i thoroughly enjoyed taking the piss out of your 9 men for the second half

and you know i am always up for another match, any time any place. I think i have turned the corner, prepare for another year of that horrible feeling of having me humiliate you in your own home

Funko
21-11-2005, 13:31:49
Followed by some games of PES?

novacane
21-11-2005, 13:49:58
amen

Funko
21-11-2005, 13:55:22
PES this Friday?

novacane
21-11-2005, 14:10:15
Yeah, sounds like a goer. I have no other plans.

Funko
21-11-2005, 14:22:21
Goal of the month prize this month on PES Fan is an x-box 360!

Funko
25-11-2005, 09:36:17
Anyone still up for PES tonight? Either that or Club V for me but there's no-one I'm particularly bothered about seeing at Club V.

King_Ghidra
25-11-2005, 10:20:38
i've been sick as a dog all week, but i've been at this course in london so no rest for me :( so no drink this weekend but i'm up for any non-hectic fun

Funko
25-11-2005, 10:28:12
I am honestly not sure whether an evening of PES counts as 'non hectic fun' or not. :lol:

King_Ghidra
25-11-2005, 12:37:48
if i win, it's cool, anything else, too dangerous for my health

Funko
25-11-2005, 13:25:06
Ok, so if it's still happening, you'd better stay at home. :hmm:

King_Ghidra
28-11-2005, 13:54:00
because everyone cares...official results of biggest Reading pes5 tournoi evah11!!!11!!

line-up:

debaser: Internazionale
funko: Chelsea
gramercy: Juventus
k_g: Real Madrid
novacane: Barcelona

the scores (missing a couple and not sure if they are all exactly right)

funko 2-0 debaser
k_g 1-1 gramercy
funko 1-1 k_g
funko 4-1 gramercy
novacane 3-1 gramercy
novacane 2-1 debaser
k_g 4-1 debaser
k_g 3-0 novacane
novacane 0-0 funko

final table

w d l
2 2 0 k_g
2 2 0 funko
2 1 1 novacane
1 1 2 gramercy
0 0 4 debaser

it was a great tournoi with some scinitillating games and goals and a finish of massive drama:

going into the final game, k_g was top, and novacane and funko were the only ones left to play. if novacane won, he would be champion; if funko won, he would be champion; if nobody won, k_g and good football would be the champion. In the end, despite plenty of scoring chances, they bottled it and gave the title to the people's champion

both funko and i scored with direct free kicks, but the one i hit to wrap up beckham's hat-trick and the 3-0 defeat of barca in the super classico felt very good

postscript: bizarrely in 5 games against funko i still haven't beaten him yet..(1 win for funko and 4 draws) and i'm pretty sure i haven't beaten gramercy yet either

Funko
28-11-2005, 14:01:05
Why is that bizarre? ;)

I was going to post all this but I still have a bitter taste in my mouth about the tournament winner. :D Second by one fewer on goal difference!!! :bash: :lol:

Getting Joe Cole, Robben and Duff injured in the win against Gramercy meant I went into the last game a little light on wingers but I don't think it made a huge difference, that was a very tough match.

All my scores are right there... but one of novacane's must be wrong. He had 7 points in the end 2 wins and a draw, he must have beaten Debaser and Gramercy? I think it was 3-1 against Gramercy, Me Guily was rampant in the first half.

Debaser was unlucky not to get any points. He was victim of a few late goals.

King_Ghidra
28-11-2005, 14:06:01
ah, good point about poor novacane - edited

Funko
28-11-2005, 14:09:11
I think the only one you are missing now is Gramercy Debaser, can't remember the score in that one...

Funko
28-11-2005, 14:13:13
It was great that it went down to the last game very exciting. 4th and 5th place was also decided in the second last game.

I was talking to Ross about this last night and he's very keen on getting involved if we have another one - that'd be 15 matches! Might require a saturday/earlier start.

novacane
28-11-2005, 14:14:40
Factor in K_G's "I'm ill, so can't drink or smoke as much as you guys" advantage and I'm sure the table would have looked very different. :cute:

I can still see that shot against the inside of the post vs Funko in the last game. Cruel. And the 2 disallowed goals, one of which I still question. :rolleyes:

But, yeah, to rise to a gentlemanly level, it was a highly enjoyable tournoi if ultimately, a gut-wrenching outcome ;)

Funko
28-11-2005, 14:39:47
We also shouldn't forget that after 2 draws in his opening games K_G was threatening to throw his game against you in a bid to prevent me from winning. We should never have pointed out he could still win the tournament! :D

That last match against you definitely felt like the toughest match of the night for me. Possibly at least in part down to the pressure and the booze.

Funko
06-12-2005, 12:46:04
You may have seen in the papers/online that yesterday was the annual Chelsea Pro Evo Soccer Tournament.

You can choose your own team but not everyone is Chelsea. A few lads have swerved to be Barcelona. It will upset the neighbours but I'll pop some chocolates through their doors afterwards.
Chelsea Captain John Terry looks forward to hosting an evening of virtual football game Pro Evolution Soccer for his team-mates.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/4498894.stm

And yes it is PES 5.

King_Ghidra
06-12-2005, 12:57:00
'not everyone is chelsea' :lol:

Funko
06-12-2005, 13:01:20
I wonder if you are, say, Glen Johnson would you always pick yourself even though there are better players in your position? What if you're on a grey down arrow? :D

Funko
06-12-2005, 13:02:33
Maybe the shitter players dodge that bullet by picking Barcelona.

(I actually think that Barcelona don't have a great squad outside their fist team in PES5, would pick Milan or someone ahead of them. Couple of injuries and you are in trouble.)

King_Ghidra
06-12-2005, 13:11:01
'their fist team'? :eek: :brwncard:

umm yes i'm not sure i agree with you on that though, they have good cover in most positions if you play a 4-3-3

Funko
06-12-2005, 13:32:44
Possibly... I am mainly basing it on one game where I was very unlucky. I had Ronaldinho, Guily and Eto'o crocked, so it could have been partly psychological.

King_Ghidra
06-12-2005, 13:53:48
hmm maybe the wing cover isn't so good actually

larsson can certainly replace eto'o

but replacing giuly and ronaldinho is obviously hard... shame messi's stats aren't good enough

i was thinking they had good cover across central midfield and along the back line it is ok, but yeah i think the cover on the wings is not so good actually

maybe a 4-4-2 would be better in that situation

Funko
06-12-2005, 13:56:37
Yeah, and with my preferred 4-3-3 losing wingers is a killer. I haven't really got the hang of 4-4-2 in this yet.

Funko
07-12-2005, 09:18:43
SWP won the Chelsea tournament (as revealed in the champions league game last night)

Funko
16-03-2006, 08:56:16
Last night saw my first foray into using the online capabilities (vs. Chris Rebus).

It's impressive. Absolutely no network lag at all. Just like you are playing a game with someone in the same room.

The game is mostly the same as normal MP except each player has a limited number of pauses which are basically time-outs where you can alter your strategy settings etc. You can only activate these when there's a break in play and these pauses are limited to 60 seconds. The default is 3 time-outs which works well. I never used more than 2, and that doesn't include 80 seconds tinker time at half time. Of course, if you finish faster you don't have to wait out the minute.

You can also "chat" to the other player by using R2 using replays to send one of several stock chat phrases. Defaults are "Goal!" "So Close!" etc but you can edit those to your own phrases.

If you already have a PS2, broadband and PES5 it might not be a bad investment spending 15 on the network adaptor.

maroule
16-03-2006, 09:16:50
I'm slowly getting better, but this game is infuratingly hard. Still on 3 star difficulty, and every goal is an event. Which I suppose is the point.

I'm growing to really like the feel of it, despite some genuine annoyances : as Inter, I have the quickest player in the game (Martins), but any opposing donkey defender runs equally quickly. I have players blessed with outstanding technical skills (veron, Recoba) but still they struggle to control a simple ball (rotating around the ball as if they had just received a hip concrete replacement), or to adjust a simple pass 3 meters away.

I was so furious at this game that for the first time in my life I bought the official guide (15 euros). I'm ashamed, but it did improve my game a lot though. I now have a clear explanation of about everything, from performance maluses associated with the colour arrows, to all kind of special subtleties (for taking free kicks for example) I didn't know about.

I'm starting my third season with Inter, and I bought Gerrard, Robinho, Cassano, Joe Cole, Rio Ferdinand (and a player I made up, called Maroule, very promising, great stats), getting rid of Recoba, Stankovic, Figo, and a few others. I should steamroll opponents with such a team, but every 1-0 victory feels like an achievement. Very irritating, and ultimately enjoyable.

King_Ghidra
16-03-2006, 09:38:15
I can echo that (though on 5 star :)) because this is definitely the most frustrating pes i have played so far. I still don't feel comfortable with it, still haven't found a formation i feel really happy with, and i still don't can't score more than 1 or 2 goals versus the computer in any particular game (often 0, but the computer rarely scores against me either.)

Something that you may or may not be aware of is that there is a great deal of discussion on pesfan about the way the computer plays on the various levels. As i uderstand it, the consensus is that the higher the difficulty the more the computer comes forward and attacks - ironically this means that it leaves more gaps allowing you (potentially) to score more goals.
So for example, many people believe 3 star is extremely difficult, simply because the computer does not commit men forward. Though of course on the flip side, the 5 star version will tend to convert the chances it does get and generally play better, so it's a matter of preference. I think you should step up to 4 and see how it goes, i breezed through the master league on that setting, and the computer was a noticeably worse shot than on 5 star, tending to balloon most chances over the bar.

maroule
16-03-2006, 09:57:02
will try tonight
that would be a big shoot in the arm of my battered self-esteem

Funko
16-03-2006, 10:43:05
I'd echo what K_G said. I've been playing on 3 star master league. Well I haven't played since the last tournoi we talked about in here so I decided that I needed a quick warm up before playing a human and my Master League is in the close season so I played a few practice games on 6* against the computer.

Wigan vs West Brom I won 1-0
Barcelona vs Milan I won 1-0
Chelsea vs Milan I lost 0-3 (by that point I'd found out my opponent favoured Milan ;) )

It was hard, but better. The computer tried to play football rather than on 3* where it feels like the computer is shutting up shop 10 men behind the ball and (very) occasionally scoring wonder goals on the break if you fuck up.

I had similar frustrations to K_G on PES 4, I'm finding PES 5 a lot more natural. Maybe we have different enough playing styles that the differences between versions suit us differently. Dunno. But I'm certainly no more shit vs the computer than I was on 4. :)

vs Humans is where it's at though. It's a very different game than vs the AI, and I think a much better one. I think I'll be trying a lot more online, possibly even against people I don't know! *gasp*

Hey, Maroule, if you get the network adaptor we can play against each other. When I log into the network the French servers are right there with the English ones. :D

Funko
16-03-2006, 10:44:42
Also, on higher difficulties your players appear to make better/more intelligent runs, that's hearsay from pesfan and it seems true but it could easily be just a case of seeing what you want to see to prove the hypothesis.

maroule
16-03-2006, 10:46:40
Tht'd be nice, but I'm not sure we can connect : I'll be on xbox live shortly enough (in a month or so), but you're on a different system no?

Funko
16-03-2006, 10:52:54
Ah yes. Damn. :(

Funko
16-03-2006, 16:09:50
Last night saw my first foray into using the online capabilities (vs. Chris Rebus).

He just sent me this:

______ W_D_L__ F_A_ GD__Pts
Felon__ 1_2_0___6_5__+1___5
Funko__0_2_1___5_6__ -1___2

:cry:

Funko 0-1 Felon : he had one shot one goal and it was 90th minute. :cry:
Funko 3-3 Felon
Funko 2-2 Felon

maroule
16-03-2006, 16:45:16
BTW, isn't the computer cheating at times?
Like being crap the whole match, I score, and then immediately after they build up an action worth of Pele and Cruyff together and equalise immediately

that pisses me of immensely

fp
23-03-2006, 11:44:03
A quote today, in his BBC website column, from Jason "King_Ghidra" Roberts.

Finally, I need to make an admission about the computer game Pro Evolution Soccer.

A couple of weeks ago I said I could beat anyone in the world, but I had a league with some mates last weekend and I actually came last.

But it was a long weekend and I was tired - I reckon if we did it again I would definitely win!

;)

King_Ghidra
23-03-2006, 12:26:20
haha you arsehole

despite taking a 4-0 thumping from gramercy (despite me having more shots, more possession yadda yadda) in a tournoi on the weekend, i recovered to beat novacane and debaser, and until 30 virtual minutes from the end of gramercy's game with debaser was set to win the tournoi

i'm still not quite there with the game but i made a major breakthrough the other day when i realised you could stop the computer's new horrible auto player switching behaviour and get it back to the old pseudo manual style. feels a lot better now.

playing on 6 stars lately against the computer and having about 50% wins with my very average master league team made up of the cheap japanese players

novacane
23-03-2006, 13:25:31
I felt very harshly done by in our game.

I vividly remember the moment when I shot from 25 yards and it looked destined for the bottom corner. I take my hands off the pad, preparing to celebrate in your face but the ball crashes against the foot of the post. I regain my composure to score from the rebound, celebrate again, and then found it was disallowed for offside. Its a cruel game. But I think he was offside.

There were fine lines in that tournoi. I should still be kicking myself for gifting Gramercy a late equaliser following some over-indulgent play at the back.

:bash:

King_Ghidra
23-03-2006, 14:03:49
Hey at least you didn't have to find ways of creatively explaining a thrashing.

King_Ghidra
04-04-2006, 12:13:46
Oh something i meant to say before, i expect others have seen it, but when you are in the pre-season in Master League, you can play special teams in friendlies who are not normally available.

The actual list of special teams seems to be randomly generated each pre-season, but generally it consist of teams like World all-stars, European all-stars, African all-stars, etc. However as well as these there are normally one or two themed special teams available, and this is where the fun really lies.

So far i have seen:

A team made up entirely of left-footers
A team made up entirely of very tall players
A team made up entirely of goalies
A team made up entirely of bald players(!)

I played the goalies and the giants last night on six star. I beat the goalies 1-0 and drew with the giants 1-1. The goalies had an awesome line-up of legends, including jerzy dudek on the left wing, jose luis chilavert in the middle of the park, and schmeichel in central defence. Despite their lack of outfield ability, they were a hell of a challenge, basically because the computer doesn't give much away on six star. Still the sight of dudek doing cruyff turns on the wing did fill me with a desperate desire to win.

Funko
04-04-2006, 12:50:29

Never seen that but it's great. :)

fp
04-04-2006, 18:44:48
Also,

A team made up entirely of players with high fitness

The baldie team sounds awesome - I've never seen that one!

Funko
05-04-2006, 08:02:01
I assume Hasselbaink is captain of the high fitness team?