PDA

View Full Version : Hamster testicles in jelly- further escapades of hamster ownership

The Norks
22-10-2005, 13:08:41
So.... Little Bully's back legs are going and he can't walk very well as he's about 70-80 in human years, and when I last picked him up I noticed he had what looked like bitemarks on his testicles (male hamsters have very prominent cahoonas, but a retracted willy) and he'd lost some fur so I took him to the vet today. She said that because his legs are going (all splayed out when he walks) possibly due to arthritis (oh yes) his balls are dragging on the ground and getting grazed, hence the marks and fur loss. The worst bit is, in order to prevent him getting an infected wound or scratching himself too much, I now have to don rubber gloves and rub antibiotic jelly on his gonads!!!!

I am not happy about this, and I feel slightly soiled. :nervous:

This cost me 30. :cry:

Greg W
22-10-2005, 14:01:23
Let your balls hang low, let them wobble too and fro...

See, a quick firing up of the barbie and a couple of pieces of bread would solve all your problems, be far cheaper all round, and provide a tasty lunch.

And if you ever reply to my email, I'll think about being a tad more sympathetic. :p

Oerdin
22-10-2005, 16:05:16
I know your hampsters are a beloved pet but doesn't $60 seem like a lot of money to spend on a rodent which is on its last leg?

The Norks
22-10-2005, 17:13:55
Originally posted by Oerdin
I know your hampsters are a beloved pet but doesn't $60 seem like a lot of money to spend on a rodent which is on its last leg?

refer to the 'beloved pet' bit for your answer. I find it really irritating when people say things like this, I wouldn't say the same to others for having stinking fleabag mutts that cost hundreds of dollars in vet bills and drool/shit everywhere, so fuck right off!! :D

The Norks
22-10-2005, 17:14:31
Originally posted by Greg W
Let your balls hang low, let them wobble too and fro...

See, a quick firing up of the barbie and a couple of pieces of bread would solve all your problems, be far cheaper all round, and provide a tasty lunch.

And if you ever reply to my email, I'll think about being a tad more sympathetic. :p

I will, I will, you impatient antipodean!

Oerdin
22-10-2005, 17:16:27
Yeah, my fucking mutt costs a lot in vet bills.

Greg W
22-10-2005, 23:23:11
Originally posted by The Norks
I will, I will, you impatient antipodean! How much can a Koala bear? :p

self biased
23-10-2005, 04:11:39
i'm all for euthanization as an alternative to expensive vet bills.

Alexander's Horse
23-10-2005, 06:34:07
Drop a brick on it.

Oerdin
23-10-2005, 15:41:30
My take on pets is it depends upon how much time you have invested in training the animal and how much longer you can expect the animal to have a useful life. Training a new dog takes years so if the dog still has many good years left then it's worth opening up the wallet a bit but if the dog is 15 and on its last leg...

Beta1
23-10-2005, 16:24:02
must remember that tactic for when I'm 80

"Nurse, my legs are going, please rub some antibiotic gel into my gonads."

The Norks
23-10-2005, 17:23:02
My take on pets is it depends upon how much time you have invested in training the animal and how much longer you can expect the animal to have a useful life. Training a new dog takes years so if the dog still has many good years left then it's worth opening up the wallet a bit but if the dog is 15 and on its last leg...

I disagree, I think that when you take on an animal, whatever kind it is, you have a duty of care towards it because it can't look after itself or tell you what it needs (especially caged animals). If LB had no chance of a good quality of life, the vet would be the first person to tell me to have him put down, but he's perfectly happy and healthy apart from being a bit old and wobbly. Besides which, whatever you or anyone else thinks about the relative value of hamsters to other more useful or traditional pets, he is my pet and I love him, its not about his size or cost or usefulness, but the emotional bond I have formed with him over the last two years of watching him grow up, playing with him, and looking after him. Thats why he's a pet and not a working animal or a lab rat. That's why I bought him, not so I could do a cost vs usefulness equation.

The Norks
23-10-2005, 17:25:13
Originally posted by Beta1
must remember that tactic for when I'm 80

"Nurse, my legs are going, please rub some antibiotic gel into my gonads."

lol, it might work if you drag them along the ground!

Oerdin
23-10-2005, 18:17:27
Sounds painful.

devilmunchkin
24-10-2005, 01:42:05
maybe you can invent ..say... a hamster support cup. might solve the problem..or at least the scathed balls problem.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
24-10-2005, 01:58:01
Can't you just get him castrated?

Oerdin
24-10-2005, 02:07:48
He certainly wouldn't be dragging them after that.

devilmunchkin
24-10-2005, 03:08:53
wouldn't he be too old to survive that kind of procedure?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
24-10-2005, 03:12:43
I dunno, a bit of local anathetic, quick snip with some nail clippers, a bit of superglue, and he's good.

Greg W
24-10-2005, 10:46:10
All could be easily solved with a bit of Gaffa(spelling?) tape, properly applied to give them the needed lift. And also something smooth so there was no real rubbing.

Beta1
24-10-2005, 10:59:43
how about that teflon coated tape?

Gary
24-10-2005, 11:04:01
Just strap a little trolley underneath him, made from a matchbox, some cotton reels, and some sticky backed plastic, oh and see if you can find a use for a washing up liquid bottle too, while you're at it.

MDA
24-10-2005, 13:36:15

He's on his balls, not his last leg.

The Norks
24-10-2005, 16:39:11
Originally posted by Gary
Just strap a little trolley underneath him, made from a matchbox, some cotton reels, and some sticky backed plastic, oh and see if you can find a use for a washing up liquid bottle too, while you're at it.

heh heh, don't think i haven't considered it ;) Then again I also considered little Halloween outfits :nervous: