PDA

View Full Version : Something to brighten up your day, Not

Gary
21-10-2005, 10:20:42
Girl slashed in classroom attack

A 12-year-old girl was almost blinded after being slashed across the face by another pupil in a classroom attack. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/4361724.stm)

Ok in this country it isn't guns yet, but... very depressing.

It's about time all this nonsense about kids rights got a dose of reality. No one wants to abuse rights but kids need to learn respect, and boundaries, and discipline. Not the ability to run to the law every time they're done something that calls for punishment. Bit bloody late after there's a victim to decide to bring charges, society needs to teach that some things are unacceptable before this sort of thing happens.

Or maybe it's all ok now, maybe it's me getting too old and not understanding the new modern way is to carry on destroying and maiming and such like. Maybe I should look forward to the first school bombers here.

MattHiggs
21-10-2005, 10:26:15
I'm sure the same kind of things happened 50 years ago. Nothing's changed - you're just getting older.

King_Ghidra
21-10-2005, 10:28:33
i can't say if anyone ever got slashed with a knife in school in the fifties or sixites, or pre-war or whatever, but i can't say it much surprises me.

we know there are kids out there carrying knives, that's no secret. and if kids carry knives there will be kids who use knives.

the most amazing thing is the sheer stupidty and disregard for the consequences of their actions. for some reason these kids are not afraid of the consequences of slashing someone else with a knife in broad daylight. i find that incredible.

Nills Lagerbaak
21-10-2005, 10:30:34
Well it was a craft knife in school. Apparantly she had intevened in a bullying incident before. And the problem is the kid does it and then says "There's nothing you can do to me, miss". And there isn't.

Nills Lagerbaak
21-10-2005, 10:31:49
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
i can't say if anyone ever got slashed with a knife in school in the fifties or sixites, or pre-war or whatever, but i can't say it much surprises me.

we know there are kids out there carrying knives, that's no secret. and if kids carry knives there will be kids who use knives.

the most amazing thing is the sheer stupidty and disregard for the consequences of their actions. for some reason these kids are not afraid of the consequences of slashing someone else with a knife in broad daylight. i find that incredible.

Trouble is, there is no real consequence except being expelled, and for someone who will slash a kinds face with a knife that ain't no punishment.

Gary
21-10-2005, 10:33:25
I don't recall classroom incidents such as this before. Gangs of youths at the coast (or wherever) on the weekend, yes, but not where there is supposed to be authority in control/charge.

12 years olds ?

King_Ghidra
21-10-2005, 10:44:37
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Well it was a craft knife in school. Apparantly she had intevened in a bullying incident before. And the problem is the kid does it and then says "There's nothing you can do to me, miss". And there isn't.

yeah but that's quite right, the teacher isn't the instrument of state punishment.

It's not true to say that you can't do anything except expel a child from school, children are subject to the same laws of the land as adults (albeit in a different way). If they commit a crime they can be convicted and punished the same as anyone else. The main difference is that the legal system tends towards attempts to rehabilitate, and quite rightly so.

Currently something like 4000 under 16's are held in jail.

King_Ghidra
21-10-2005, 10:46:54
Despite the requirement of international law that prison should be a last resort for children, the advent of the Detention and Training Orderin 1998, children as young as 12 can now be jailed, if they commit an offence which would be punishable by prison if committed by an adult. Following the Crime and Disorder Act of 1998, the Home Secretary has the power to lower the age of detention to 10 years old. The proportion of children in the prison population is higher in England and Wales than in any other European country except Greece and Germany.

Nills Lagerbaak
21-10-2005, 10:49:08
Yes I suppose so, but within the classroom where the teachers are supposed to be in effect stand in parents they have no control. A retarded 12 year old from shitty parents is unlikely to think through the letter of the law...even in cases as extreme as this. At that point the classroom is ill prepared to deal with it.

Also, say they hadn't actually slashed the child but threatened to...again absolutely nothing to be done.

Beta1
21-10-2005, 16:05:26
true not much we can do.

If that threat was made in my current school we would have the kid removed to the internal exclusion unit on the spot.

On the other hand if they refuse to go short of calling in the police we can neither force them to leave or force them to remain.