PDA

View Full Version : SAD

The Norks
18-10-2005, 22:53:53
Does anyone else find themselves suffering from a sudden decline in mood at this time of year? The last couple of days I've been feeling really crap in a horribly non-specific way, and this happens every year at this time. I just want to curl up in a warm duvet, listen to the Cure Disintegration and eat carbs for 6 months. I had to go and buy some St John's Wort today in the hopes it will perk me up.

I'm going to pursue the herbal/exercise route and see if that works, but I'm not looking forward to the next six months. It seems to get more acute and come on more sharply every year. Maybe I should drink through it like the scandinavians.

Fucking British weather. :mad:

Debaser
18-10-2005, 22:56:12
I love winter 'cos you get to wear coats and scarves and stuff.

Nothing wrong with listening to Disintegration either...

HelloKitty
18-10-2005, 23:02:06
Get a sun lamp or time at a tanning salon. Go twice a week and do half the time they recommend. You won't tan at all but your body should respond.

Provost Harrison
18-10-2005, 23:09:46
Originally posted by The Norks
Does anyone else find themselves suffering from a sudden decline in mood at this time of year? The last couple of days I've been feeling really crap in a horribly non-specific way, and this happens every year at this time. I just want to curl up in a warm duvet, listen to the Cure Disintegration and eat carbs for 6 months. I had to go and buy some St John's Wort today in the hopes it will perk me up.

I'm going to pursue the herbal/exercise route and see if that works, but I'm not looking forward to the next six months. It seems to get more acute and come on more sharply every year. Maybe I should drink through it like the scandinavians.

Fucking British weather. :mad:

My God you have no idea just how badly hit I have been recently. I have felt so depressed and stressed for the past few days (I was even off work it was so bad on Monday). I have not been chilled and relaxed - in fact I've felt like taking an axe to anyone who annoys me - and still do...ARGHHHH! :shoot: :bash: :mad:

The Norks
19-10-2005, 00:20:41
Originally posted by HelloKitty
Get a sun lamp or time at a tanning salon. Go twice a week and do half the time they recommend. You won't tan at all but your body should respond.

yeah the skin cancer should take my mind off the depression :hmm:

The Norks
19-10-2005, 00:22:14
Originally posted by Debaser
I love winter 'cos you get to wear coats and scarves and stuff.

Nothing wrong with listening to Disintegration either...

well thats the weird thing- I like winter, I like long nights, I like not having to expose my pallid Scottish flesh to the elements, but my brain just shuts down and I feel all depressed and maudlin.

The Norks
19-10-2005, 00:22:46
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
My God you have no idea just how badly hit I have been recently. I have felt so depressed and stressed for the past few days (I was even off work it was so bad on Monday). I have not been chilled and relaxed - in fact I've felt like taking an axe to anyone who annoys me - and still do...ARGHHHH! :shoot: :bash: :mad:

maybe we should go two's on a lightbox lol

Greg W
19-10-2005, 02:19:19
Well, I just came down yesterday with a bad virus. Didn't sleep at all last night (well, up until 4.30am, I think I slept after that). So, I'm feeling rather crappy at the moment.

But, coming into summer here, not cos of the weather.

There's an idea. Travel to alternate hemispheres every 6 months. Then it'll always be summer (well, or spring if you time it right), and no need to be depressed cos of the weather.

devilmunchkin
19-10-2005, 02:25:05
ditto..but it's the norm for me norks. it's got nothing to do with the time of the year. :/ generally i perk up in fall and winter...i like that time of year.

HelloKitty
19-10-2005, 04:08:57
I wasn't kidding about the sun lamp or the tanning salon. If you are using it properly the increase in risk of skin cancer is about the same as if you take a week long trip to the beach every couple of years.

The best proven treatment for SAD (true SAD) is light therapy with a 60-90% response rate depending on the study.

Now tanning is not ideal because your eyes are covered. However it is cheap.

If you want a real solution get a lightbox or light visor. The wavelength of the light doesn't seem to matter, but the intensity does.

Light boxes are expensive but most medical supply companies carry and can get you one. Use it once a day per instructions and you will probably have no more SAD. Lightboxes are of a wavelength that do not cause tanning or burning.

A cheap alternative that is better than a tanning salon is a sun lamp. It needs to be at least 10k lux though. Turn it on and read alittle or just lie with it shining on your face a little while each day. Not enough to actually tan, but long enough to get the benefiets.

Exercise, while always good for any type of depression, has a very low efficacy at decreasing SOD. Pharmacological treatments also have mixed results. Herbal treatments are going to be more dependant on the placebo effect than anything else.

Oerdin
19-10-2005, 06:41:15
The Cure rocks! I've never gotten down in the winter but supposedly they have determined their is a seasonal depression which many people suffer during the winter months. Not sure why that would be but I hear it is so.

HelloKitty
19-10-2005, 07:24:06
Originally posted by Oerdin
The Cure rocks! I've never gotten down in the winter but supposedly they have determined their is a seasonal depression which many people suffer during the winter months. Not sure why that would be but I hear it is so.

Did you give your password to Drekkus?

SAD = Seasonal Affective Disorder

4 of 6 or greater sufferers are women.

In the northern hemisphere by definition begins between late sept and mid/late Nov. Clears up around april.

Need to have the exact symptoms at least 2 years in a row to definitivly diagnose.

Is a differential diagnosis of Major Depression, formerly a subset until better data in the mid 80s defined it.

Hard to study and treat effectivly because of the relative short duration and unclear mechanism.

Strongly linked to serotonergic pathways. Curent studies show that meletonin only has a weak relationship with SAD (contradictng the prevelent theories froma few years ago that were never proved but still widely believed). Also some correlation with dopamanergic systems, but again, nothing very strong.

Another major myth was that Northern climates were more probe, seems to only have a very weak link to rates.

High sucess rate with simple light therepy.

Some newer treatments involve timed dimmer lights in the patient's bedroom. They brighten slowly in the morning over an hour or so before the alarm goes off to simulate a summer sunrise. Not sure how well this one works. Other goofy treatments are also being looked at.

Still widely misinterpreted in medical texts. In fact Griffith's still lists MAO inhibitors with the same effectivness as fluoxitine (bioeq of Prozac) and that the only suspected cause is meletonin release! Not only that it is still classified as "Neurotic Depression" by GPs (The AMA and APA dumped the term neurotic completely over 10 years ago from all diseases). At least they do list phototherepy as the "preferential" treatment.

Oerdin
19-10-2005, 07:41:14
I think Drekkus did hack my login.

Greg W
19-10-2005, 07:51:24
You all need to come live in Australia for 6 months of the year. Mind you, with you lot of psychos here, I might go live in Colombia for 6 months of the year. It'd be safer, I am sure.

HelloKitty
19-10-2005, 07:52:54
She is apparently afraid of skin cancer, you may as well recommend she moves to Mercury.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
19-10-2005, 07:59:23
Darkstarkitty

Greg W
19-10-2005, 08:01:29
:gotit: One way trips to Mercury. Only problem is finding the funding for it...

Nills Lagerbaak
19-10-2005, 08:06:47
Yeah, I've been feelling preety crap recently..... I love this weathert when it's slightly drizzly and the leaves are all over the ground but when it gets cols and dark I hates it!

Still in a couple of months I shall be going to Oz for a nice long holiday, so shouldn't complain. Still it will be very strange being arirbourne on Christmas eve/day!

Gary
19-10-2005, 08:08:24
I think I must suffer from SAD, but in my case it is the 4 seasons variety.

Funko
19-10-2005, 08:22:58
I actually prefer the winter I think.

Beta1
19-10-2005, 09:00:02
inverse-SAD then

Drekkus
19-10-2005, 09:01:52
I like this time of year, when the sun is low and nature is britgtly coloured. But if it's grey and wet like this, it sucks.

Tizzy
19-10-2005, 09:08:46
I only like winter when it's snowing.

Funko
19-10-2005, 09:25:25
I just hate hot weather and hay fever.

Nills Lagerbaak
19-10-2005, 09:28:11
Ah yeah, hay feaver / allergies can really put a downer on Summer.

I don't like weather when it's so hot that the only relief is lying on your back on a stone floor in a dark room. That's too hot!

Greg W
19-10-2005, 10:00:26
God you lot are wimps. Come and experience 40 degree celcius days, standing out in the sun playing cricket. Now that's hot. You twats run inside for the air conditioning when it reaches 25. :lol:

How on earth are you ever going to survive summer in Oz Nills? :hmm:

Nills Lagerbaak
19-10-2005, 10:01:49
Greg I have no idea. I have been before in winter and that was pleasant, this is gonna be insanity.

Funko
19-10-2005, 10:02:08
I have no intention of ever experiencing 40 degrees celcius days but if I am forced to there's no way I'd be crazy enough to play cricket.

Funko
19-10-2005, 10:03:03
Originally posted by Greg W
God you lot are wimps. Come and experience 40 degree celcius days, standing out in the sun playing cricket. Now that's hot. You twats run inside for the air conditioning when it reaches 25. :lol:

BTW, we don't have air conditioning mostly. Some offices have. I've never been in a home in the UK with aircon. Why would we have it?

mr.G
19-10-2005, 10:03:35

Fucking British weather. :mad: jep whenever the leaves fall of the trees, bought a solarium just for that....... and jesjes it helps

Greg W
19-10-2005, 10:13:38
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Greg I have no idea. I have been before in winter and that was pleasant, this is gonna be insanity. Well, if nothing else, you'll discover why we drink our beer cold. :beer:

Our winter would probably be the equivalent of your spring at a guess. Or maybe Autumn. But our summer will be like nothing you'll experience in England. Well, unless you spend it in Tassie. :D

And Funko, it was more of a point of not letting the temperature bother you. 40 degrees isn't that hot unless there's very high humidity, and you only really get that up north.

Funko
19-10-2005, 10:16:57
Depends what you are used to. We get a few days of 25C every few years so it seems hot to us. Plus our humidity is always high at all times of year.

Some of the Aussies who come here to work are totally floored by our (very mild) winters which the likes of the Canadians laugh at us for.

It's to do with not letting the temperature bother you - yeah, but it's also to do with having the right clothes and knowing how to deal with the environment etc.

Nills Lagerbaak
19-10-2005, 10:17:38
Maybe I should escape to Tassie then, but I can't stand big scary insects. Damn.

Funko
19-10-2005, 10:17:55
Try and find a map of it anyway

Nills Lagerbaak
19-10-2005, 10:22:25
Yeah, if all I find on holiday is a mapatassi, I wouldn't mind!

LoD
19-10-2005, 10:28:54
Originally posted by Funko
Try and find a map of it anyway

Look for South Korea.

Drekkus
19-10-2005, 10:37:10
:lol:

Chris
19-10-2005, 10:57:24
The fall is my favorite of the year, from now through new years.

MDA
19-10-2005, 11:01:51
Time to get out my winterclothes. :beer:

I have Disintegration on cassette. I'll bet its ruined by now. Great album as a "whole album".

MoSe
19-10-2005, 11:16:27
I thought you only got SAD in extreme conditions, say not south of Oslo...

I actually like any season, I just hate change...
I begin to get used to summer, and there comes the fall
I get over the shock that I grew 20 sizes and I don't fit I last year winter clothes, begin to enjoy cold brisk weather, and here comes spring's turmoil, and then again in cycles...

I should live in Singapore!!!!!

In last years I only begin to feel comfortable above 30C, although I admit that enduring 40C can be a little testing.
The thing I hate most tho is people who complain about weather and climate :bash:
Also, about light exposition rather than temperature, I never let my moods get influenced by that, as a youth I lived at night and didn't seek sun.
Now, if I have some physical task, say housechores, and it's grim and overcast, or just have to get up early and it's still dark, I just can't force myself... that can't be just sheer laziness ;)

mr.G
19-10-2005, 11:32:54
Originally posted by MoSe

The thing I hate most tho is people who complain about weather and climate :bash: jesjes me too, and this lousy english weather

Gary
19-10-2005, 11:34:51
Surely there are lots more hateful things than that ? How about folk who drown puppies ?

MoSe
19-10-2005, 11:47:51
fine, as long as they don't annoy me with inane complaints

Drekkus
19-10-2005, 11:48:16
As long as they don't complain about it. :cute:

Drekkus
19-10-2005, 11:49:08
:lol:

mr.G
19-10-2005, 11:50:17
nice X post :lol:

Greg W
19-10-2005, 12:40:04
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Maybe I should escape to Tassie then, but I can't stand big scary insects. Damn. Um. I don't claim to be an expert, but they're probably less common in Tassie, cos it's colder and all. And this is the country for nasty stuff that can kill you. Snakes, spiders, sharks, jellyfish (yes, jellyfish), octopii...god, there's so many that I forget them all.

So, if the heat won't kill you, then the fauna will. :D

Oh, and go into the Tasmanian Tourism Beareau, and ask for a map. They've never heard that one before. ;)

Funko
19-10-2005, 12:42:18
What if you genuinely did want a map?

Greg W
19-10-2005, 12:49:41
Assuming that you didn't ask like a leering tourist after a glimpse of snatch, you'd probably get a map.

MoSe
19-10-2005, 12:50:02
why, could they think you're joking???

Funko
19-10-2005, 12:51:45
mapatasi n. Aus.

(ma-pa-ta-zee) Minge. As in: "Show us yer mapatasi, Sheila". abbr. Map of Tasmania. From the similarity in shape of said island to a muff.

Greg W
19-10-2005, 12:52:56
Mose... Um... Go have a look at a map of Tasmania. See if anything springs to mind. ;)

Greg W
19-10-2005, 12:54:07
Or just let Funko PHd the joke. ;)

Funko
19-10-2005, 12:55:04
I'm just quoting from the Profanisaurus.

Greg W
19-10-2005, 13:00:51
The bizarre thing is that we actually do pronounce "map of tassie" as ma-pa-ta-zee. Maybe I shouldn't hassle the Yanks about their mangling of the language any more. ;)

MoSe
19-10-2005, 13:54:40
MULTIMAP OF TAZZY (http://tinyurl.com/7g7ob)

are you crazy?
do women downunder have it shaped like THAT?????

that's nothing even remotely resembling!!!!!!

now, don't you all dare tgo ever say again that *****I***** have a sick mind, sheeeesh!

pervs
:rolleyes:

Greg W
20-10-2005, 00:14:25
It looks like their bush, fuzz, lower beard or to be blunt - pubic triangle. No, it's not exact, but it is close, so what do you expect? Bloody picky French Italians.

Gary
20-10-2005, 07:53:06
You have to think of it more neatly trimmed MoSe

Provost Harrison
20-10-2005, 21:56:02
The Borough of Greenwich has a very similar shape :lol:

Colon
20-10-2005, 22:40:51
God damn it, does everything need to be sexified these days? Leave Tasmania alone!

Provost Harrison
20-10-2005, 22:48:09
Oooh errrr missus ;)

Colon
20-10-2005, 22:50:39
And the Borough of Greenwich too!

Provost Harrison
20-10-2005, 22:51:31
That ones gonna be very hard, as I live there :p

Colon
20-10-2005, 22:55:07
So you snoggle on it daily huh?

Provost Harrison
20-10-2005, 22:58:26
Stop sexifying everything! :p

Colon
20-10-2005, 23:00:49
Yes! God damn it. Arse.

KrazyHorse@home
20-10-2005, 23:47:04
Does anyone else find themselves suffering from a sudden decline in mood at this time of year?

Yes.

:(