PDA

View Full Version : So, what's the most extreme form of popular music then?

Scabrous Birdseed
18-10-2005, 20:45:54
Right, my music history course got reduced to an afternoon preliminary. Rather than cover everything, therefore, I'm gonna talk about general features of pop music history instead.

One of the biggest ones is obviously that music's changed incredibly much.

I want to illustrate just how much. What are the the musics today furthest divorced from what was cutting edge in 1955 (Doo-wop, rockabilly, etc.)? I want to make a nice collage of them to terrorize the class.

Scabrous Birdseed
18-10-2005, 20:48:55
So far I've got some speedcore (incredibly annoying 400+ BPM gabba hardcore techno) and some drone doom (weird, atonal, snail's pace minimalist metal).

devilmunchkin
19-10-2005, 02:34:17
.hmm..what about ppl who put out music that might be..nothing more than the sound of dripping water..or a hammer. yes..this exists.

also, i think death metal is pretty far away from the 1950s....

Nills Lagerbaak
19-10-2005, 08:03:19
By pop music do you mean music that has sold thousands in the form of singles?

For example I believe Incredible by General Levy made it to the top 5 as did SL2 on a ragga tip!

You could say those are pretty far removed from old pop....

Scabrous Birdseed
19-10-2005, 09:26:27
No, I mean music that's considered popular rather than "folk" or "art".

Funko
19-10-2005, 09:35:19
Merzbow?

Japanese guy who's the most famous proponent of 'noisecore'. It's barely music.

Funko
19-10-2005, 09:37:08
Squarepusher... extreme/experimental drum and bass.

Nills Lagerbaak
19-10-2005, 09:51:50
You've already talked about Mr. Bungle.

Guess future sound of london were pretry insane

Scabrous Birdseed
19-10-2005, 09:53:01
Does any of it beat Sunn O))) for weird?

Funko
19-10-2005, 09:56:29
never heard of them. :)

I was just trying to find electronica acts as you seemed to have the extremes of guitar music covered.

Mr. Bas
19-10-2005, 10:21:50
Gabber (hardcore techno, basically) was very, very popular in the mid 90's here in the Netherlands, you already mentioned it. You can no doubt find some unlistenable tracks from that genre.

Some grindcore/mathcore might work as well, bands like the Dillinger escape plan, old man gloom, nasum and today is the day are responsible for some incredibly heavy music. Actually, old man gloom might fit your definition of drone doom, come to think about it. Let's see if I can think of some more.

Scabrous Birdseed
19-10-2005, 11:58:22
The hardcore crowd here in Umeå is so big and prolific that I suspect most of the people I'm talking to (they're all attending a music course full-time) will have heard quite a bit of grind, I mean Nasum has performed up here regularly.

I do have a DEP album somewhere I might possibly use...

I'm thinking something maybe as another extreme something that's either multilayered and overproduced ad absurdum, or extremely childlike, bright and unusual.

Mr. Bas
19-10-2005, 12:06:56
True, home town of Refused after all, right? Strapping young lad or one of Devin Townsend's other projects might be worth checking, although it's a bit in the same vein. Eklektikos might know more about other extreme rock genres...

I'll try and think of some more.

Debaser
19-10-2005, 12:09:20
What about things like Endtroducing or The Avalanches album. They don't sound particularly extreme, but when you think about how those tunes are made, just loads of little bits of other records stuck together, they're the complete opposite of classic "songs". Kind of.

Scabrous Birdseed
19-10-2005, 12:16:42
That's a good idea. Or maybe some extreme turntabulism of some kind? X-ecutioners or something.

Nills Lagerbaak
19-10-2005, 12:57:55
Don't forget Killa Kella and Rahzel! Both make music entirely woth their mouths.

By that token I guess you'd also better put Scatman john in there...

Eklektikos
19-10-2005, 13:02:46
Aphex Twin, perhaps? Amon Tobin?

Eklektikos
19-10-2005, 13:31:34
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
I think I'd probably take Khanate over Sunn O))) for extremism in the drone doom stakes. Same guitarist but a more punishingly unpleasant sound on the whole, certainly on their second album.

Naked City's hardcore minatures on their eponymous album and Grand Guignol might be worth a look, given that they feature jazz instrumentation and Yamantaka Eye of the Boredoms having vocal seizures over the top.

Dälek could be useful considering their use of harsh industrial noise soundscapes and turntablism to create a sound akin to a dark, hip-hop version of My Bloody Valentine.

Looks like you've probably got the speed-metal side of things sewn up, but you could take a look at Fuck... I'm Dead, Sleep Terror, Agoraphobic Nosebleed and Cryptopsy if you want another example of nasty high speed stuff.

If you're interested in childlike, bright and unusual then perhaps eX-Girl would work. Not sure whether that's the sort of thing you would have been thinking of, though.

Nills Lagerbaak
20-10-2005, 10:47:48
Ah looks like I'm finally goign to get to see Khanate!

The Norks
20-10-2005, 20:00:37
The Cheeky Girls? They're extremely shit.

Nills Lagerbaak
21-10-2005, 08:50:57
Oi leave them a lone, I love the cheeky girls.....oooh cheeky!

Lazarus and the Gimp
21-10-2005, 16:48:21
Seeing as Rock'n'Roll and R'n'B were both heavily focussed on the beat, the logical conclusion is that music with no beat is the extreme departure.

By that token, I'll go for the Isolationist genre- particularly Tomas Koner and the later works of Main.

Mr. Bas
21-10-2005, 21:06:41
I'm listening to Khanate at the moment, and liking it. Definitely not as extreme as I expected, heavy and screamy but mainly just very slow.

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-10-2005, 07:35:19
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed

Try a Nurse With Wound album.

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-10-2005, 07:43:06
The most "extreme" things in my collection-

Nurse With Wound- "Homotopy to Marie". Deeply odd and rather disturbing Dadaist sound collages. "Soliloquies for Lilith" is another extreme one, though it's almost ambient.

Tomas Koner- "Permafrost". Austere and glacial isolationist tones.

The Kronos Quartet- "Black Angels". Avant-garde string quartet makes songs that appear to have been written by a schizophrenic war veteran in hell.

Diamanda Galas- "Defixiones: Will and Testament". Sung/howled almost entirely in Armenian, it's a double-album about genocide that's possibly the most harrowing record ever made.

Main- "Firmament 2". Sounds like it wasn't made by humans, and was definitely never intended to be overheard by them.

Colon
02-11-2005, 23:27:05
Checked Texas Faggot or Mandalavandalz already?