PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Forever.

Oerdin
13-10-2005, 18:35:06
I'm off to Yosemite for a three day weekend with my cousins and my sister's two boys. I am supposed to teach the boys how to fish, camp, and backpack like a man since their dad (who is in all other ways a great guy) is a geeky computer programer who rarely goes outdoors. I'm hoping to hike up to the top of Half Dome and maybe Bright Angel Falls tough it will depend upon how the 9 year old and a 7 year old hold up. If they don't turn out to be proper troopers I guess we'll just explore the valley floor.

Normally there are to many tourists in the valley to truly enjoy things but since it is now fall most of the foreign twats should be gone and now we'll only have to deal with the local twats.

See you all Monday.

Lurker the Second
13-10-2005, 19:04:01
I fished there for an afternoon once and only caught one damned fish.

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-10-2005, 19:07:39
Using your penis as bait?

Lurker the Second
13-10-2005, 19:11:48
Nah, I like to fish for top feeders, not the fish that are way down deep.

mr.G
13-10-2005, 20:21:30
way down deep in that cold cold water?

Lurker the Second
13-10-2005, 20:32:20
One of the all time classics.

Oerdin
14-10-2005, 03:18:42
Just got home from work and I'm dfoing some last minute packing. I also found my MP3 player's battery is dead so I'm charging that and making sure I download all of my new music on to it before I leave. This will be a long drive so I want good music.

Greg W
14-10-2005, 03:23:30
Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. ;)

Have fun, Yosemite is cool. :)

Oerdin
14-10-2005, 07:54:15
Thanks. I'm off now.

Oerdin
17-10-2005, 14:22:57
I didn't get much fishing in but it was still a great trip. Two days in the valley and one day where we drove over Tioga Pass and over to the east side of the Sierra. Great stuff. The kids weren't up to hiking very far so we never went higher then Vernal Falls but there was still a lot to do in the valley.

We saw the ancient redwoods, more waterfalls then you could shake a stick at (including 2 of the world's 10 largest) , lots of wild life, and interesting geologic features. A couple a few tents down had their car royal fucked up by a bear. There are signs every where not to keep food in your car since the bears will rip the doors off in order to get to it. Well, one of their three kids had stashed something in their Honda so the bear broke the back window then crawled in and clawed the back seats until he got what he wanted. The car was fucked up and the rangers then ticketed the family for not following the rules and impounded the car. :lol: It certainly made we triple check to make sure one of the kids didn't leave anything in the car.

Sunday we went through Toulume Meadows in the high country then down the east side to Mono Lake. Mono Lake is a 3 million year old salt lake which doesn't drain into the ocean so it is 2.5 times as salty as the sea and (due to weathering of granite) is highly alkali. The water is never the less filled with cloubs of brine shrimp and these unique salt flies which cover everything with in the first 1-2 feet of the water (so thick you can't see the ground). Birds love this place as there's so much food but I liked the tufa towers and other unique geology. Tufa is a type of mineral deposit which forms huge standing towers ; they were originally underwater but as the water level has dropped (due to LA diverting all the water to create green lawns there) the towers have been exposed. Next we went to Devil's Post Pile which has some basalitic collumns which have cooled to form perfectly geometric hexigons. The only other thing I've ever heard like it is Giant's Causeway in Ireland.

There is also so more interesting stuff on the east side of the Sierra Nevadas to see but we were running out of time. I would liked to have gone to see the bristlecone pine forests of the White Mountains (those trees are the oldest living things in the world), stopped at Manzinar National Historic Monument (where the Japanese were interned during WW2), or taken a side trip to Death Valley. We were just moving to slow though and we ran out of time. Still loads of fun and better then sitting at home on the weekend.

MOBIUS
17-10-2005, 20:23:53
That's an awesome part of the country I wish I'd had time to see...

We were just down the road from Mono Lake at Lone Pine coming from Death Valley. We saw Mt Whitney and then headed south through the Joshua Trees into the foothills of the Sierra Nevada and then up to the Sequoia Natl Park...

I heard a guy chopped down one of those Methuselah trees to see how old it was and since then by getting core samples they haven't found an older one - so basically he killed the oldest living thing on Earth...:bash::(

alsieboo
17-10-2005, 21:54:12
You left and came back in such a short space of time, I hardly had time to miss you. And I swear I kept seeing the word 'gf' in your posts

LoD
17-10-2005, 21:54:51
I love the Wikipedia entry for Mono Lake.

Black Point is the remnant of a cinder cone volcano that erupted under water in prehistoric times, when Mono Lake was much larger (and referred to as Lake Russell).

"Ugah, ugah, Lake Russell!"

Oerdin
18-10-2005, 04:26:02
Originally posted by alsieboo
You left and came back in such a short space of time, I hardly had time to miss you.

It is all part of my master plan to get everyone's hopes up then crush them. <evil laugh>