PDA

View Full Version : 1st day new job.

BigGameHunter
13-10-2005, 15:01:17
How should I impress. Cold and steely? Warm and friendly? One of the guys? Hardcore?
What should the new boss do to get people on board right off...without being a doormat?

Drekkus
13-10-2005, 15:06:20
Hey, did I miss the posts about making a final decision, and the messy quiting of the old job???

Anyway, appear friendly, bright, focussed and reasonable.

mr.G
13-10-2005, 15:11:31
Fart and Burp
the ladys just loveeeee that.

Venom
13-10-2005, 15:15:34
You must be all those things. Stern but fair. Warm, but steely. Hardcore worker, yet know when to relax.

Debaser
13-10-2005, 15:15:44
At least pretend to take time to listen to what your underlings have to say. Appreciate that they've been there longer than you and probably have issues with previous management, so be seen to take an interest and act like you're all part of the same team now so their concerns are your concerns. Then waltz off for a 3hr lunch, before ordering yourself a new expensive chair and desk tidy, locking your office door, and playing Freecell for the rest of the afternoon.

Japher
13-10-2005, 15:19:48
Friendly is probably best, it takes time to figure out the inner workings of the office and how to boss certain ppl around without them knowing you are bossing them around. Ask lots of questions, especially if you don't know something, don't expect to figure it out later; because if you don't figure it out and then ask, you look like an idiot.

Don't volunteer any information rather stay quiet until you have all the facts. Just be friendly, for now.

Alexander's Horse
13-10-2005, 15:21:32
It depends on the job

BigGameHunter
13-10-2005, 15:48:47
So...non-commital? :)
Setting the tone is key...I was a little soft on my last team--while they always came through when the chips were down, they tended to slack a bit during "normal" times.

Drekkus...as much as I desired to put my foot up the old bosse's ass, I tried to exit gracefully. Didn't give jack for notice, however. Word is he's still beating up on his remaining execs...so now they'll have to turn on each other. One has told me he is going to quit ASAP. Christmas should be a real treat there...and I'll get to see it as I only live 2 miles away.... :)

Lurker the Second
13-10-2005, 15:52:30
Wear a pink shirt. Pink shirts say lots of things.

Drekkus
13-10-2005, 15:54:27
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
So...non-commital? :)
Setting the tone is key...I was a little soft on my last team--while they always came through when the chips were down, they tended to slack a bit during "normal" times.

Drekkus...as much as I desired to put my foot up the old bosse's ass, I tried to exit gracefully. Didn't give jack for notice, however. Word is he's still beating up on his remaining execs...so now they'll have to turn on each other. One has told me he is going to quit ASAP. Christmas should be a real treat there...and I'll get to see it as I only live 2 miles away.... :) And you're making more now? :beer:

Gary
13-10-2005, 16:28:09
You start as you mean to go on.