PDA

View Full Version : So...

Kitsuki
13-10-2005, 09:59:02
... I'm at work, waiting to get a phone call saying my gran has died. She degenerated yesterday and will pass away in her sleep today.

And I just feel really numb - I don't think I even feel very sad for some really odd reason. I was/am really close to Gran but this is pretty much the oddest feeling I have ever had. She's also too far away for me to get there in time to see her before she dies, not that I'm sure I want to - so there's literally nothing I can do and I feel absolutely helpless. :(

Sorry for splurging this on here, but I dont want to talk to my workmates about it.

Gary
13-10-2005, 10:15:51
That's ok splurg on as much as you wish.

Sorry to hear. Yes have been in a similar situation myself in the past. It's strange how one reacts, and the reaction can change with time / events too.

Just have to hang on in there mate, as it progresses.

Funko
13-10-2005, 10:19:56
I'm really sorry to hear that Kitsuki. :(

It is a really helpless feeling, I know what you mean.

Maybe you should think about taking compassionate leave and heading up there... you'd only have to talk to your boss. I don't know if your mum/dad are up there but it can be good to be with family at a time like this.

MoSe
13-10-2005, 10:33:48
Really sorry Kitsuki.

Lost mine 2.5 yrs ago and still miss her. Cling on to good memories, take on the torch.

Kitsuki
13-10-2005, 10:37:28
Originally posted by Funko
I'm really sorry to hear that Kitsuki. :(

It is a really helpless feeling, I know what you mean.

Maybe you should think about taking compassionate leave and heading up there... you'd only have to talk to your boss. I don't know if your mum/dad are up there but it can be good to be with family at a time like this.

Yeah, I'm getting 3 days off next week - funeral and day either side, so boss is being great. Just feel so numb and helpless though.

mr.G
13-10-2005, 10:54:10
:(

Tizzy
13-10-2005, 12:28:09
Sorry to hear that. :(
I reckon I'd be on my way already if I was you, you may not get there in time but at least you'll feel like you're doing something.

Kitsuki
13-10-2005, 12:38:02
Gran's in a nursing home, that despite being really expensive, I hate. She isn't compis mentis, and my journey back is over 6 hours anyway...

Im doing a speech/funeral at the funeral so that's distracting me now.

Drekkus
13-10-2005, 13:49:50
sorry to hear it, kitsuki

Japher
13-10-2005, 14:06:30
My grandma's ashes are being spread this weekend, she died in April. I won't be able to attend the funeral, but was very close to her.

Her ashes are being spread outside of Sacramento, CA and being in Ohio doesn't lend itself well to getting there. All my family from Denver will be there. I wish I could too, but for my mom. It was my mom and our family who took care of her for the past 15 years since my grandpa died. I justify my absence by telling myself that I was there for her in life, when it counted.

My Grandma died alone. We had just left, drove the 2 miles home and got a call that she had passed.

The Norks
13-10-2005, 20:33:02
Sorry to hear that Kitsuki, my grandad died this time last year and I felt (still feel) the same, but I just felt that it was his time and we couldn't have done anything differently or better. It sounds like you care a lot about her, and I'm sure she knows/knew that, so keep that in your heart.

Doing a eulogy is tough, but you'll feel better for it afterwards and you'll bring comfort to others. Remember too, that no matter how you feel right now, your parent is feeling it more intensely, so be there for them as much as you can.

best of luck, and I hope your Gran passes peacefully, and that you remember the happy times.

((((Kitsuki))))