PDA

View Full Version : Who knows some good places to visit in South/Central America?

Greg W
12-10-2005, 13:42:00
Thinking about a 5 week trip there in 2006. I'm on leave from Feb 24th or so for 5 weeks. About all I know that I want to see is Machu Pichu. Other than that though, I am open to suggestions. So suggest away, preferebly with links to show me what the heck you are talking about. ;)

As for what I prefer to see...

I like ancient stuff. Ruins such as Machu Pichu do a lot more for me than a big city. Natural stuff is good too, such as national parks, stunning mountain ranges, forests, etc.

Stuff I have seen and loved (not in order):
- The Great Wall of China
- The Forbidden City
- The castle in the middle of Tokyo (forget the name)
- Westminster Abbey (the sense of history)
- All the castles I visited in England, Scotland and Wales
- Ancient Rome (as in all the old stuff)
- Pompeii
- Yosemite National Park
- The Ocean Road in California
- Austrian landscape - beautiful country
- The palace of Versailles
- Notre Dam (most old churches really)
- Venice (all the old buildings, magnificent)
- The museum in London (all the old greek stuff and so on)

Stuff that was kinda "meh"
- Los Angeles (baseball was good, the city itself was "meh" with a few good bits, though I didn't see it all)
- Paris (thought the city itself was... "meh")
- Monaco (pretty and everything, but... "meh")
- The Van Gough(?) gallery (art exhibitions shit me)
- The Louvre (yawn - yes, I am a philestine, so shoot me)
- The Eiful tower (so it's a big tower...next)
- Hong Kong (Nice to see once, but... "meh")

So, as you can see. Historical stuff, or natural beauty tend to be what does it for me. Incan and Aztec ruins would rock. As would the Andes in all likelihood. And probably the Amazon. But where in particular. Tell me tell me do...

Greg W
12-10-2005, 13:43:45
Oh, and somewhere to rest on a beach for a week might not be such a bad thing either. ;)

MDA
12-10-2005, 13:45:54
Chichen Itza was nice, but Machu Pichu looks even more impressive. Incan>Mayan?

Venom
12-10-2005, 13:46:30
If you can find it, a Water Treatment Facility.

mr.G
12-10-2005, 13:48:14
Originally posted by Greg W

Stuff that was kinda "meh"

- Paris (thought the city itself was... "meh")
- The Van Gough(?) gallery (art exhibitions shit me)
- The Louvre (yawn - yes, I am a philestine, so shoot me)
- The Eiful tower (so it's a big tower...next)

pleezzzzz go back in your cave

Greg W
12-10-2005, 13:51:34
I don't think that any of them compare to 2000 year old ruins. But we're all different...

Put another way, I wouldn't travel halfwat around the world to see them. But I would travel halfway round the world to see ancient ruins.

Nills Lagerbaak
12-10-2005, 14:00:32
Originally posted by Greg W
I don't think that any of them compare to 2000 year old ruins. But we're all different...

But I would travel halfway round the world to see ancient ruins.

Funko's mum?

Japher
12-10-2005, 14:00:42
Chichen Itza was nice, but Machu Pichu looks even more impressive. Incan>Mayan?

A total Myan/Incan tour would be kewl.

Chichen Itza to Tulum (on the beach) then into Belize, I've always wanted to go to Belize.

Japher
12-10-2005, 14:01:25
Peru is suppose to be awesome

fp
12-10-2005, 15:02:35
I choose you Machu Pichu!

Immortal Wombat
12-10-2005, 22:36:38
Canoe the Orinoco

Aredhran
13-10-2005, 09:27:02
Definitely go to the Atacama Desert (San Pedro area) in Chilean Altiplano, watch the geysers at El Tatio, the Valle de la Luna, etc. Further north in Chile, the area surrounding the Parinacota volcano is really beautiful as well.

In the same area, go to Bolivia and check out Laguna Verde and the Licancabur volcano, as well as Laguna Colorada with all the pink Flamingos. Also, you must absolutely not miss the Salar de Uyuni (dried salt lake)

http://www.horolezec.cz/images/galery/gal_66/bolivie/velke/salu_zap.jpg

DaShi
13-10-2005, 10:41:32
I'd like to see the Incan ruins in Peru

MDA
13-10-2005, 12:01:12
the Seven cities of cibola!

MoSe
13-10-2005, 13:30:37
- coca plantations in colombia
- get lost and raped in some Rio favela

;)

Never been there.
I figure Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego might be interesting as nature and wilderness goes.
And some Amazon navigation...

Oerdin
13-10-2005, 17:26:55
The Atacama Desert should be a must see and I'd want to stop in on the Chilean wine country as well as the headwaters of the Amazon in Peru/Ecuador. If you can swing into Central America then Panama City has some nice Spanish ruins still there including the fortress which Sir Francis Drake sacked in order to steal Spain's yearly shipment of silver from Peru plus you can easily take a day trip to see the Canal or wander in the jungle at Darien. Be careful in Darien though as Columbian communist rebels have been known to come across the border and kidnapped tourists there.

Hmm, rethinking I'd skip Darien and instead do your rain forest trekking in Costa Rica as the jungles are just as good but it is safer and more touristified. I had an M-16 and was in the army when I was in Darien so I was safe enough but you won't be so lucky. I'd also hit up the Guatemala/Belize/Yucatan area so you can view the Mayan Pyramids and the ruins of a few ancient cities.

If you flew into Santiago, Chile then drove the Pan-American Highway north you should be able to cover everything in 5 weeks and you'd be able to see much more of the country. Youíd have to take a feiry boat from Columbia to Panama but the rest is all paved. The American Government paid to build the road and then the local governments are responsible for maintaining the road and some of the Latin American states havenít exactly been keeping on top of the pot holes but itís still a well designed road. You would spend a lot of time driving though so maybe you just want to get one of those regional airline passes which allow you to make X number of stops with in a certain period of time. If you did fly you could make a side trip to Rio or Buenos Aires.

Oerdin
13-10-2005, 17:31:39
Originally posted by MDA
the Seven cities of ebola!

Couldn't you find cases of that just about any where in central Africa? :cute: