PDA

View Full Version : Wallace & Grommit film

Rodgers
10-10-2005, 13:24:03
I hardly need tell you not to bother but if, like me, you are dragged to see it then prepare for boredom, not a pleasant surprise.

It's about 90 mins long but packs as many jokes/humourous moments into it as the 30 min long W&G episodes that have been on TV so far.

Havent seen Chicken Run so cant compare it but the Creature Comfort animations have made me laugh in the past.

protein
10-10-2005, 13:50:28
weird. i thought it was excellent.

Rodgers
10-10-2005, 13:53:05
really???

protein
11-10-2005, 01:47:59
yeah. outstanding animation, cute bunnies in zero g, good story, funny one-liners, unfunny one-liners, amusing voices, action, horror pastiches, cute bunnies, surrealism, bunnies, slapstick, unashamedly twee and british, good music, occultism, lovable characters, bunnies... my kind of film.

the penguin thing beforehand was utter rubbish though. madagascar must be shite.

DaShi
11-10-2005, 04:48:39
Madagascar is shite.

Rodgers
11-10-2005, 11:15:10
Originally posted by protein
yeah. outstanding animation, cute bunnies in zero g, good story, funny one-liners, unfunny one-liners, amusing voices, action, horror pastiches, cute bunnies, surrealism, bunnies, slapstick, unashamedly twee and british, good music, occultism, lovable characters, bunnies... my kind of film.

the penguin thing beforehand was utter rubbish though. madagascar must be shite.

Yeah, all that was present but all the same it didnt really entertain me.

I was sat there thinking "that was well done" or "nice touch" when one or two particulary good scenes or sight gags cropped up but I never got to the stage of laughing very much or enjoying it.

Technical merit - 10

Artistic impression - 4

Nills Lagerbaak
11-10-2005, 11:20:46
I don't think wallace and grommit have evr made me laugh. I think they are quite suited to watching on Christmas day with perhaps too muich port and stilton in one. Then just get absorbed by the surrealism of it.

Anyway, I think I'll wait till it comes out on video / TV.

BigGameHunter
11-10-2005, 22:29:13
My kids love those guys and trust me, they're one of the only good alternatives to a lot of children's tv out there that we hate to have to watch as adults...I can tolerate them and even enjoy them...Spongebob also...
I'm sure I'll take the 4.5 yo to it...unless someone thinks it's "too much"?

fp
12-10-2005, 07:13:16
"too much" what?

Too much Britishness? Quite possibly - the kid will come out of the movie with bad teeth and it'll take years before you can stop him putting u's in all his words.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-10-2005, 20:48:41
BGH- if your kids like British claymation, let me recommend "The Trap Door". It's a compilation of loads of 5-minute shorts from the 80's voiced by Willie Rushton, and one of the best kid's shows ever.

Unlike most kid shows today, it's quite gross and violent (in a kiddie-friendly way) and is unashamedly stupid in good ways.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-10-2005, 20:50:32
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
I don't think wallace and grommit have evr made me laugh. I think they are quite suited to watching on Christmas day with perhaps too muich port and stilton in one. Then just get absorbed by the surrealism of it.

Humbug. The bit in "The wrong trousers" during the railway trace where Grommit is constructing the track as they go along made me nearly prolapse with laughter.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-10-2005, 20:53:26
eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00079FGVM.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Genius. A little red square.

BigGameHunter
12-10-2005, 21:47:30
We have a bit more culture in the BGH cave than the average US family.
I'm happy to watch nearly anything British over US any day...the crap we pander to here is pathetic.
Wrong Trousers and A Close Shave are on pretty much 24/7 here.
Although the prehistoric squirrel from Ice Age is a huge hit as well lately.