PDA

View Full Version : What MMOs are due out in the next year?

JM^3
08-10-2005, 01:43:48
might as well tell me about the expansions also

I think there are:
StarTrek
Middle Earth
DnD
Age of Conan
City of Villains
??

JM

MattHiggs
08-10-2005, 02:44:17
None of any interest to be honest. This was the year of the MMORPG. Looks like WoW won :D

HelloKitty
08-10-2005, 02:51:04
You forgot the biggest one. The one that is expected to steal all the hardcore players away from Sony, blizzard, and NCSoft. VANGUARD (I am prepared to be massivly dissapointed by it, but who knows? It is most of the original EQ1 dev team with real funding now. Then again MS is the publisher, and MS makes SOE look like polite kittens. at elast its not EA or ATARI.

HelloKitty online (no joke)

Warhammer online is in development but is planned for 2007.

There are a bunch of other ones, but nothing noteworthy off the top of my head.

As for expansions:

Toontown has an expansion planned.

COH will probably get 3-5 major updates "issues" in 12 months, their free expansions.

In the next 12 months SOE will release probbaly 1 more full expansion (possibly 2 right at the end of 12 months) and 4 mini expansions for EQ2. EQ1 Will get 1-2 expansions.

I would hope WoW would get around to announcing an expansion, but NCSoft and bad vivendi publicity really hurt their dev pool. They have to have something out within the next 12 months though.

Lineage and Lin II will get an expansion.

FF I am sure ahs something in the works, but I don't like FF so have not paid attention.

Guild Wars has an expansion in the works, probably 6-8 months. The one I thought they were making turned out they added for free a month ago.

SWG hopefully will have something else, but they are on a sched all to themselves.

Matrix online will be taken over by SOE over the next few months (bought but not complete transfer yet) , added as a free service to station pass customers and supposedly will get an expansion in 2006. But it only sold 40k boxes worldwide, so who cares?

Mightytree
08-10-2005, 04:46:10
I'm not sure if Blizzard has officially announced their expansion yet, but considering that it is playable at BlizzCon at the moment I'd say you can expect it to be out sometime next year.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
08-10-2005, 04:53:47
I would be thinking that maybe they'd have it out for Christmas this year.

self biased
08-10-2005, 05:33:37
and let's not forget that warhammer online has lost the support of games workshop.

lightblue
08-10-2005, 09:01:47
Dark and Light as well right?

fp
08-10-2005, 10:04:46
Originally posted by self biased
and let's not forget that warhammer online has lost the support of games workshop.

Which might well be a good thing.

HelloKitty
08-10-2005, 18:12:04
No it hasn't.

The first Warhammer online lost GW support, trolled around for another buyer and got nothing. That project is 100% dead. Which is really sad since the ideas were awesome.

The new WHO is a completely different project by the same company that does DAOC.

Apparently GW had a problem with the original developers and screwed them over so they would go out of business and then took the rights to the game to Mythic.

http://www.mythicentertainment.com/warhammer/

Their faq and press release say that, but in a nice way.

They are hiring like crazy right now though.

Kitsuki
09-10-2005, 01:04:08
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
I would be thinking that maybe they'd have it out for Christmas this year.

Nope... Blizzcon they are announcing it, and apparently it will be out next summer (in time for all of the kids to play it 24/7 for their summer holidays presumably; good marketing ploy.)

HelloKitty
09-10-2005, 22:38:25
So they are waiting 18 months for the first expansion? Wow.

Kitsuki
10-10-2005, 01:26:05
I know; very odd gambit.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
10-10-2005, 21:25:22
Well, it's not that bad. It's not like there's zero new content in all that time. Battlegrounds were a major addition, and new instances. But yes, 18 months is a strangely long time.

Still, I'd prefer they took their time to get it (mostly) correct than have some rush-plan for getting things out on a fixed schedule.

On the gripping hand, though, given that it's supposed to be largely playable at the BlizzCon, I still say XMas is the best most marketable time to be pushing this thing. Lots of kids with limited cash play it, and I know from experience that my best source of games when I was a kid was Christmas and birthdays :)

HelloKitty
11-10-2005, 00:58:47
I checked, it is a playable "Sneak peek" not the expansion at Blizzcon. So really just the same engine with some new models and particle effects. They still only have a working name.

"Attendees will be able to view the work that is going into the project and hear some of the eagerly awaited details." is all they have really given.

And most MMOs have usually avoided Christmas because of the competition with FPS and console games. MMOs have always been a selective market and releasing at odd times has allowed a bigger group. EQ2 and WOW released before christmans because the companies were trying to leapfrog each other, EQ2 announced release and WoW had to as well.

Kitsuki
11-10-2005, 13:34:15
Start of next Summer (May/June) is where my money is on, unless it is delayed.

Kitsuki
11-10-2005, 13:35:24
The other thing I'd say, is that Blizz only ever really polished their games to perfection with the expansion pack - expect no less with WoW.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
11-10-2005, 15:27:15
Originally posted by HelloKitty
I checked, it is a playable "Sneak peek" not the expansion at Blizzcon. So really just the same engine with some new models and particle effects. They still only have a working name.

Once again the hype machine has let me down. *sigh*

And most MMOs have usually avoided Christmas because of the competition with FPS and console games. MMOs have always been a selective market and releasing at odd times has allowed a bigger group. EQ2 and WOW released before christmans because the companies were trying to leapfrog each other, EQ2 announced release and WoW had to as well.

I don't think that WoW, with it's alleged multi-millions of players, really cares that much about competition. WoW has kept me entertained for about 6 months now, to the exclusion of all else except Warzone2100 and Angband, which are strictly 8-5 activities, if you know what I mean.

HelloKitty
11-10-2005, 17:25:22
Blizzard is definitly concerned about the competition, its just not the company everyone thought they would be concerned about.

Everyone thought that Blizzard and SOE would be duking it out, but SOE had a decent start, dropped and now has raised back up to their expected numbers and are slightly growing. However SOE is no where near the worldwide/asian MMO market. WoW jumped right up into the asian MMO market and drew the attention of us slanty eyed game fiends.

NCSoft is the company that WoW is competing with worldwide. There are bigger companies than NCSoft but their games are not translated to english) COH/COV take a relativly small amount of thier market but GW/Lin1/Lin2 are right there with WoW and NCSoft is still aggressivly headhunting blizzard employees and, since Vivendi is evil, they are succeeding. This is just rumors but apparently the conflict between the two got to the point of Viv/Bliz making employees sign 1 year non-competition contracts, and NCSoft saying they would just pay for full relocation to the recruits choce of their Canada, UK, or Korean branch rather than the office they opened 2 blocks away since the contracts are not enforced internationally with the option to return after a year.

GW just announced 1 million accounts in the US. Since GW is free and to play online forever, and has great PVP and, although a linear RPG story a world larger than WoW with the same amount of content, they are definitly pulling away players in the market. An expansion will definitly be felt in the world market. As for how many worldwide players play GW. Hard to say since in Korea alone there are always more active players than in the US any time of day and at least as many as the US in japan, but they didn't sell boxes there or Japan, mostly internet cafe licenses. So unless all the Cafes give exact numbers of registered accounts there is no way for them to be sure. There were 27k licenses preordered in Korea for GW though.

Lin and Lin2 have insane numbers of players but are hard to track again because of the internet cafe crap. Between the two they have said they have a few million each in Korea alone. And Lin is the game the hardcore PVPers go to.

The company did report a 45% increase in yearly profit since GW was released, but also a 350% increase in Lin 2 subs in korea which most people attribute to people leaving the new round of games to go back to the hardcore. So last year they made just under 80 million PROFIT from their MMOs.

A lin 2 and GW expansion is definitly a concern for WoW. SOE not so much unless the Japanese and Korean translations of EQ2 really take off when released. Thats what SOE is hoping, and the japanese market looks promising, but they are not doing a chinese version and the Korean version is at least 6 months away.