PDA

View Full Version : Kaito KA1101/Degen DE1101 radio receiver.

Deacon
04-10-2005, 02:30:09
I think Kaito is the international brand of Degen. The Degen version has Chinese printing and markings, as well as a different AC adapter.

In a nutshell, it's a shortwave set that costs $50 before S&H. And it actually works. Good sensitivity, but not the best selectivity. Plugging an external antenna into the EXT ANT jack improves reception somewhat, but the whip is good enough to walk around with. Only 10 presets for each of the 5 bands, two of which cover SW from 3-10MHz and 10-26MHz. No sideband. Two tone settings, two attenuation settings, and two filter settings. It is $50, after all.

I like what I see enough that my next radio will probably be a KA1103, which is reputed to have similar sensitivity, and much more in the way of features.

China appears to rule the affordable receiver market. The less affordable receivers are numerous enough that though Sony, Drake, Icom, etc. appear to have ceased production, the radios can still be found easily. I suppose there are enough of them out there to satisfy a shrinking population of listeners.

Nav
07-10-2005, 20:23:05
Tell me that it's Digital? Digital radio is great, good quality siqnal, some different radio stations! (kerrang!).

Deacon
09-10-2005, 02:38:06
Nope. No XM, no Sirius, no DAB, no DRM, and no HD. Just analog FM, AM (MW), and SW.

If I were "going digital" today, I'd get satellite. HD is a good technical soloution, but it's more or less the same old AM and FM, plus a digital copy of itself wedged into the sidebands. To be fair to HD, DRM will also use the IBOC scheme, and it'll have more or less the same content as analog SW. But SW would benefit more from a reduction in static than would nearby broadcasts. After all, static is often strong enough to wipe out all listenability.

Pricewise, XM and Sirius don't hurt as much as they used to. But HD is more or less in its first generation of products, and $400+ doesn't seem out of the ordinary for a receiver.

Deacon
09-10-2005, 03:15:17
Hm. I just priced some DAB receivers. Much more reasonable. The least expensive HD radio listed at iBiquity's website is $270. I'm going to guess that since DAB technology is older, it's less expensive to produce, and that more receivers have been sold.

I think the reason that the US didn't go the DAB direction is that the FCC simply doesn't want to set aside the bandwidth. IBOC schemes are doable, but since analog broadcasts on the AM and FM bands are packed relatively close together, the compression required is extensive, driving up the cost of receivers.