PDA

View Full Version : First Day of School,

Beta1
29-09-2005, 17:54:54
Bloody hell thats tiring.

Spent the whole day following a year 8 class around apparently some of the most mental lot in the school. Mostly arrogance and niggly problems rather than violence.

So far 1 fight, one massive pile up in the corridors (the old pupils at each end of the line pushing inwards - how the hell do you get them out of that without the whole lot falling over?), two senior teachers called in to bawl them out.

But also I managed to get a kid who was having a lot of trouble through a lesson where he did the work and didn't get in trouble for about the first time this term and got at least one member of staff on my side by keeping half of a class under as much control as was possible while she did the same to the other half. :cool:

As for the one fight I managed to break it up without any backup, although I was a bit pissed off to be in that situation (well it was either me or leave the kid getting kicked on the floor while I tried to hunt down another staff member). Anyway I managed it without having to put myself in harms way or manhandle a kid which I was quite pleased with. Purely by a bit of shouting and looking scary. Not bad when the kids have no idea who you are. On the other hand as I'm over 6' I do have a head start in the scary department.

On the downside I have to learn to be a bit tougher - I think its going to be too easy for the good kids to get on my right side and take advantage. I've also got to learn not to refer/think of myself as a student, at school I'm a teacher, albeit a trainee. I'm staff, not pupil.

Its bloody tiring but great fun

JM^3
30-09-2005, 00:45:12
you should carry a cane with you

Jm

Funko
30-09-2005, 09:08:52
I haven't really got a lot to say but I like the updates. :beer:

Nills Lagerbaak
30-09-2005, 09:36:12
Originally posted by Beta1

So far 1 fight, one massive pile up in the corridors (the old pupils at each end of the line pushing inwards - how the hell do you get them out of that without the whole lot falling over?), two senior teachers called in to bawl them out.

Nills Lagerbaak
30-09-2005, 09:37:58
We used to call that a bundle! They would naturally occur whenever the student / teacher reached a large enough ratio and in areas here the corridor was narrw enough. I use to love them....then someone broke a bone and if a bundle ever occured again, we'd all get busted.

~Hmm, I don't think I'd be a good influence because if such bundle occured again I'd dive in with no hesitation.

Funko
30-09-2005, 09:44:19
Ah.. and do you remember the great game of:

PILE ON!

fp
30-09-2005, 10:12:46
Wasn't there a risk of electrocution?

Funko
30-09-2005, 10:14:41
Mary had a little lamb
she tied it to a pylon
10,000 volts went up it's bum
and turned it's wool to nylon

Oerdin
30-09-2005, 10:22:35
Pure poetry.

The Norks
30-09-2005, 11:24:09
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
We used to call that a bundle! They would naturally occur whenever the student / teacher reached a large enough ratio and in areas here the corridor was narrw enough. I use to love them....then someone broke a bone and if a bundle ever occured again, we'd all get busted.

~Hmm, I don't think I'd be a good influence because if such bundle occured again I'd dive in with no hesitation.

I missed all this stuff by going to the strictest school in the world (tm). There was not one fight, scuffle, incident or outburst the whole time I was there. The worst thing that happened is that one girl got suspended for not tucking in her shirt.

I did work experience at a boys comp and it was ok but really intimidating- i think if I set foot in a mixed comp I'd literally be killed. they can smell the fear.

Nills Lagerbaak
30-09-2005, 11:42:21
Ah, is that why you're so uptight? :p

Funko
30-09-2005, 11:43:47
Oh, come on Nills! We all know that the girls that go to those ultra strict single sex schools turn into raving nymphos the first chance they get...

The Norks
30-09-2005, 11:55:24
Nills you're obsessed with me being uptight- I find that more worrying than any evidence that I am.

And Funko is on the money ;)

Nills Lagerbaak
30-09-2005, 12:02:16
Am I...oh dear I didn't realise, I say it mainly as a joke you know?

The Norks
30-09-2005, 12:09:19
ja mein herr

Beta1
30-09-2005, 20:51:39
day 2 - no riots, no fights, school lunch = pasta bake. v. good. (sorry went a bit Bridget Jones there).

School back to normal and mental year 8 class shipped off to france with another PGCE student..... Will be interesting to see if he comes back next week!

Today was much more normal, spent the afternoon making copper sulphate with top set year 9. Great fun, am still working on glare of death. Managed to convince one kid not to set fire to his worksheet with a bunsen burner purely by the power of the eyebrow. Finally had meeting with official mentor. That was pretty good, they seem to know which boxes you need to tick and hoops to jump through.