PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Elf Power?

Oerdin
29-09-2005, 02:02:59
they're an indie band out of Athens, GA which makes (in epitonic's words) "extremely enjoyable, gently psychedelic, melodic fuzz-pop embroidered with a wealth of strange, exotic sounds". They're either wildly experimental or borderline deranged depending on if you like them or not.

One of their best songs I heard on the sound stream was about hobbits though most of their songs are less fantasy related. They do have a unique sound which is hard to accomplish these days so if you'd like to give them a listen type the stream from epitonic.

http://www.epitonic.com/artists/elfpower.html#tracks

protein
29-09-2005, 02:32:59
I like the music and ideas. I don't like the production. The drums sound like they are down a long corridor, round the corner in a concrete bathroom behind a thick woolen drape curtain and recorded on a one dollar radio shack microphone sellotaped to a coathanger suspended in a polystyrene sphere downstairs in the kitchen.

I like the song. Although I think they are doing that arty indie thing where they pretend they can't play. I have a feeling that the drummer and singer are pretending they can't quite play in time or sing with any enthusiasm to pretend that they are too stoned or that they just don't care because they are too arty and whimsical.

"We perform the music that we conceive very gently and half-heartedly from the sheer burden of our own artistic avant guarde genius weighing down our physical ability, so we care more about recording our metaphysical essense than our performance in physical or sonic terms" - sort of thing.

Or maybe I'm being too harsh. I should start smoking weed again and stop caring what music sounds like. I should care what colours they are thinking of when they play it.

protein
29-09-2005, 02:33:35
what a load of weird nonsense I just wrote.

i am falling asleep.

must go to bed.

Provost Harrison
29-09-2005, 23:22:59
Any connection with REM? They're from the same place...

Funko
30-09-2005, 09:16:38
Boyzone and U2 are from the same place...

Oerdin
30-09-2005, 10:04:18
REM and these guys are a world apart even if they're all from the same town. ;)