PDA

View Full Version : Jamie 1 - 0 Junk Food


Funko
28-09-2005, 09:43:41
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4287712.stm

Foods high in fat, salt or sugar are to be banned from vending machines and meals in English schools within a year.

The ban from next September is to be announced by Education Secretary Ruth Kelly at the Labour Party conference.

Ministers had said vending machines could be excluded from a crackdown, but they will now be banned from stocking sweets, crisps and high-sugar drinks.

The School Meals Review Panel is next week to announce nutritional standards that will be compulsory in schools.

Gary
28-09-2005, 10:12:53
Watch all the kids making off to the local chippie each lunchtime :D

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 10:19:31
Good work! Oh and Gary, we were never allowed down the chippy anyway! This is one area I have limited cynisism in!

MOBIUS
28-09-2005, 10:22:59
We were, in plain view on the main street less than 5 mins from the school - hordes of kids buying chip butties!

Funko
28-09-2005, 10:25:32
In the sixth form we were allowed out to the shops at break times or study periods to buy "educational supplies" which didn't include food but that didn't stop us obviously.

Tizzy
28-09-2005, 10:30:42
Originally posted by MOBIUS
We were, in plain view on the main street less than 5 mins from the school - hordes of kids buying chip butties!

Yep, same here.

Even in primary school we were allowed to go outside at break times etc. Well, at the second primary I went to anyway, the first one we weren't but then there was nowhere you'd want to go anyway, there was nothing very interesting near the school!

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 10:36:15
Originally posted by Funko
In the sixth form we were allowed out to the shops at break times or study periods to buy "educational supplies" which didn't include food but that didn't stop us obviously.


Mr. Wills last will was to install CCTV to try and enforce this...

Funko
28-09-2005, 10:36:56
Curse the Taffia.

Drekkus
28-09-2005, 10:38:31
That's probably a funny pun, right?

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 10:43:57
I don't get it either...

Funko
28-09-2005, 10:46:22
Did you never hear that at school? Cross between taff (welsh) and maffia. Used to describe Mr Wills and the rest of his network of welsh teachers.

King_Ghidra
28-09-2005, 15:24:28
the guardian had a great picture attached to their articles on this subject:

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Society/Pix/pictures/2004/11/22/Godwin15.jpg

Venom
28-09-2005, 15:26:28
That looks like a pretty good burger.

Provost Harrison
28-09-2005, 16:04:09
My God, we've let that fishlipped twat get his way :mad:

Funko
28-09-2005, 16:06:31
Huh?

Provost Harrison
28-09-2005, 16:07:46
Huh?

Gary
28-09-2005, 16:56:08
That's Leslie Ash you're thinking of.

Beta1
28-09-2005, 17:40:37
Originally posted by Tizzy
Yep, same here.

Even in primary school we were allowed to go outside at break times etc. Well, at the second primary I went to anyway, the first one we weren't but then there was nowhere you'd want to go anyway, there was nothing very interesting near the school!

you wont see that anymore. Most london primaries are like small fortresses now and a lot of the secondaries are about the same. Partly due to the childmolesters on every corner paranoia and also cos if we manage to get them into school we sure as hell ain't letting them out again.

Provost Harrison
28-09-2005, 17:47:31
I walked past a primary school the other day and yeah, they have some bloody security on them...huge fences and walls...

Koshko
28-09-2005, 23:22:41
There is a push to do that places here including Chicago. The problem is that many of the schools are within walking distance of convienence stores that will sell kids the junk food before or after school.

MOBIUS
29-09-2005, 00:16:50
Originally posted by Beta1
you wont see that anymore. Most london primaries are like small fortresses now and a lot of the secondaries are about the same. Partly due to the childmolesters on every corner paranoia and also cos if we manage to get them into school we sure as hell ain't letting them out again.

Every lunchtime at my secondary school we were actually kicked off the premises to fend for ourselves because of fear (well founded) of vandalisation of school property...

During winter my friends and I used to end up huddled in the Bethnal Green Museum of Children or Bancroft Library just for warmth - come to think of it I'm amazed the staff tolerated us, but we were well behaved...;)

Actually considering the schooling I got it is a wonder that I turned out into the well adjusted level-headed intelligent young man that I am...:)