PDA

View Full Version : LAZ - New psychedelic mission...

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 09:30:01
...should you decide to accept it:

Laz, as it is now very much the season for mushroom hunting, I was wondering if you knew of any good places in the vicinity of Bristol? I shall be securing a car for a day and fancy a little hunt (and don't fancy randomly walking through Wales (again))

Thanks!

Oerdin
28-09-2005, 10:01:51
Aren't you afraid of picking the wrong mushrooms and dying? It seems every year during mushroom season several people get poisoned even supposed experts who've been doing it for years.

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 10:06:43
I was until I had a successful picking session. I picked hundreds of them and we ate them all. Now I know exactly what they are like and once you have correctly identified a liberty cap it's virtually impossible to mistake it for the only other similar looking lethal variety - the death cap. The most common issue is not drying them before you eat them, which can result in you eating small flies, which are impossible for your liver to process and can cause poisoning.

Gary
28-09-2005, 10:15:45
:confused: Do the flies fly away if you cook them without drying, then ?

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 10:17:53
Well, you're not supposed to cook them. You can eat them raw (for maximum effect) or make a tea out of them. the Flies will survive in both cases, but it you dry the shrooms they die.

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 10:18:21
Oh, and eating dead flies is no big deal.....

Drekkus
28-09-2005, 10:31:09
Can't you just buy them in the store?

Funko
28-09-2005, 10:31:44
Not anymore, they just made them illegal.

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 10:33:47
Yeah :( But to be honest half the fun is "getting high of your own supply."

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 10:34:13
Oh and only illegal to sell, not to pick.

DaShi
28-09-2005, 10:36:28
Going for a stroll with Laz through the forest looking for enchanted mushrooms, are we?

Funko
28-09-2005, 10:44:35
BTW Nills, with the recent law change simple posession is illegal now, class A.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4692359.stm

And, there's a new clause which I just read about that I didn't previously know which says that posession of drugs on a school premises is punishable with a custodial sentence... so don't go mushroom hunting on school playing fields!

Oerdin
28-09-2005, 10:55:44
Sucks.

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 11:15:32
I read that article before. There's nothing there saying picking and eating them immediately is illegal. If they are implying it then they have got it wrong.

By making it illegal to eat them fresh would be more than just tying up a loop hole it would be changing the very law on what you can do with the countryside which I don't believe they have done.

But still, my plan for giving shrooms to school girls in return for favours has gone out of the wondow.

Funko
28-09-2005, 11:21:37
Not in the article but that's what the law is. Posession of fresh mushrooms is now classed the same as posession of cocaine.

Although they did generously say that "the accidental picking of psilocybin mushrooms or having them grow inadvertently on property would not be subject to the law."

So I guess "Sorry officer I thought these mushrooms were pretty which is why I've picked 2000 of them..." er...

MattHiggs
28-09-2005, 11:23:07
That ruling has now been superseded with the Drugs Act 2005 which means they are now classified as a "Class A" drug, alongside heroin. Possession could lead to seven years in jail, while supplying them could result in a life sentence.

Funko
28-09-2005, 11:24:28
Also, taking drugs has never been illegal in the UK. Posession and supply are illegal.

MattHiggs
28-09-2005, 11:31:24
Maybe they could do you for possesion in the blood stream - if it was still in it's original form? :D

I've not taken any serious drugs since I was around 13. LSD was very cheap then. Had some memorable experiences but it's not something I'd do again. I don't like ti when I'm not in control of my own body and I can get the same sort of highs doing normal stuff like playing football or going out with my mates.

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 11:33:53
Yes, they can't do you for having them in your bloodstream. But fuck me I didn't realise they can now bust you for picking them it's stupid. How can an indigenous, naturally occuring, unperpared substance be illegal?! Name me one other!

Oerdin
28-09-2005, 11:44:28
Originally posted by MattHiggs
I can get the same sort of highs doing normal stuff like playing with my mates.

:brwncard:

MattHiggs
28-09-2005, 11:54:25
:lol:

MattHiggs
28-09-2005, 11:56:32
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Yes, they can't do you for having them in your bloodstream. But fuck me I didn't realise they can now bust you for picking them it's stupid. How can an indigenous, naturally occuring, unperpared substance be illegal?! Name me one other!

But it's a drug - just like Heroine, Cocaine and LSD so surely it should be treated as such?

Funko
28-09-2005, 12:01:34
It'd be like making poppies class a...

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 12:02:24
Yeah, but manufactured drugs like Heroin, LSD and Cocaine go through a hell of a lot of refining. Why should the government control the eating of a natuarally occuring substance anymore than they should stop you gettin high on nutmeg or rotten apples?

And Matt - do you hallucinate when playing with your mates? Wierd!

MattHiggs
28-09-2005, 12:02:45
But you have to prepare poppies for them to have any effect?

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 12:05:15
Yes, and a lot of refining so it's fair enough that the government can legislate. But what has that to do with eating fresh shrooms?

MattHiggs
28-09-2005, 12:08:44
Yeah, but manufactured drugs like Heroin, LSD and Cocaine go through a hell of a lot of refining. Why should the government control the eating of a natuarally occuring substance anymore than they should stop you gettin high on nutmeg or rotten apples?

And Matt - do you hallucinate when playing with your mates? Wierd!

Obviously I don't halluscinate but it's just as good as getting a drug induced high. I didn't say 'playing with my mates' anyway. I said playing football!

fp
28-09-2005, 12:09:15
Somehow I doubt there will be policmen roaming the woodland on the off chance that people might be out picking mushrooms. Stupid unforceable laws. :lol:

fp
28-09-2005, 12:10:39
I halluscinate all the time when playing football. Sometimes it really feels as though I'm a great player, man. Trippy stuff!

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 12:17:28
Originally posted by Funko
It'd be like making poppies class a...
Exactly!

It's nannystateism gone insane. But as fp said there aint no copper what's gonna bother stopping me picking my supply!

Funko
28-09-2005, 12:19:26
Unless you swear at someone or do something else anti-social, in which case you'll be shipped off to prison for life.

Kitsuki
28-09-2005, 12:32:15
Exactly!

It's nannystateism gone insane. But as fp said there aint no copper what's gonna bother stopping me picking my supply!

Might be best not to advertise the fact on CG though mate! :)

Debaser
28-09-2005, 12:35:42
Kitsuki's going to dob you in!!!!

Gary
28-09-2005, 12:36:28
Tsk, it was all just big talk, honestly officer.

Funko
28-09-2005, 12:36:34
"Excuse me officer, I have information that a man in the Bristol area will be looking for mushrooms one weekend in the near future"

"No shit."

Sir Penguin
28-09-2005, 15:37:03
Yes, and a lot of refining so it's fair enough that the government can legislate. But what has that to do with eating fresh shrooms?
Presumably, the law is based on the effects of the drug, not on how inconvenient they are to make.

SP

LoD
28-09-2005, 15:52:36

Own goal. Marijuana?

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 15:53:31
No. you can't get busted for being high on nutmeg, you can't be busted for getting high on poppy tea, you can't get high on Salvi Divonorum. There is no logical basis for why a particular drug has a particular classification.

e.g. if you took salvia whilst driving (which is legal) you would crash and you might get psycological problems.

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 15:54:33
Originally posted by LoD
Own goal. Marijuana?

100-0
"indigenous" (I live in the U of K by the way)

Gary
28-09-2005, 16:01:51
It has to be indigenous to somewhere :D

Provost Harrison
28-09-2005, 16:12:33
I was until I had a successful picking session. I picked hundreds of them and we ate them all. Now I know exactly what they are like and once you have correctly identified a liberty cap it's virtually impossible to mistake it for the only other similar looking lethal variety - the death cap. The most common issue is not drying them before you eat them, which can result in you eating small flies, which are impossible for your liver to process and can cause poisoning.

Give me liberty (cap) or give me death (cap)!

King_Ghidra
28-09-2005, 16:14:28
e.g. if you took salvia whilst driving (which is legal) you would crash and you might get psycological problems.

something about that just makes me :lol:

Provost Harrison
28-09-2005, 16:15:51
I've got a mouth full of salvia ;)

Lazarus and the Gimp
28-09-2005, 17:27:20
The Cam runs east from Cameley to the River Avon and has lots of north-facing slopes in dairy-farming country. In other words- prime 'shroom country. The stretch from Camerton to Dunkerton was always good ground for it.

There are other areas just north of Bath that are good- try Cold Ashton, Pennsylvania and the area around the Dyrham estate.

I've heard good things about the slope down from Dundry towards South Bristol, but never tried it.

LoD
28-09-2005, 18:12:29
100-0

Offside!

"indigenous" (I live in the U of K by the way)

You don't have wild canabis patches in the UK? You poor things ;)...

Nills Lagerbaak
29-09-2005, 09:16:15
We have fields of cultivated denatured for hemp production. You could smoke your way through a whole field and still not get high.

Laz thank you very much, I might try and go this Sunday and I shall let you know how I get on, so you can update your records.

Drekkus
29-09-2005, 09:21:04
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
The Cam runs east from Cameley to the River Avon and has lots of north-facing slopes in dairy-farming country. You swear? I only thought there was the Thames. I thought that was the main one in London.

mr.G
29-09-2005, 09:22:55
Oh and only illegal to sell, not to pick. hehehehe he said PIK

Funko
29-09-2005, 09:48:30
Originally posted by Drekkus
You swear? I only thought there was the Thames. I thought that was the main one in London.

But... they are in Bristol. You are being very Drekkus today.

Drekkus
29-09-2005, 09:59:06
I'm confused. I thought Cambridge was in London. I knew Birmingham weren't in London.

Funko
29-09-2005, 10:04:13

Drekkus
29-09-2005, 10:08:51
:p

Lazarus and the Gimp
29-09-2005, 19:28:51
There's more than one river in Britain bearing the name "Cam", and I think there's at least five called "Avon".

The Shaker
29-09-2005, 20:20:37
Name them!

MOBIUS
29-09-2005, 20:33:12
Avon, Avon, Avon... er, Avon and... I forget now...

Oh yes! Avon!

RedFred
29-09-2005, 20:35:31
I've had a ranger stop me in the middle of nowhere who wanted me to dump out my very non-magic edible mushrooms. His basis for doing so: I was "harming the ecology" of a "sensitive wilderness" area.

In truth it was an area endowed to a local university to put gradually put buildings on over time. I wasn't able to convince him that berry picking (which is allowed) is no different, but I was allowed to keep the shrooms "this time".

protein
30-09-2005, 01:09:35
Originally posted by Drekkus
I'm confused. I thought Cambridge was in London. I knew Birmingham weren't in London.
It's in east angular.

Drekkus
30-09-2005, 10:25:31
East Angular? That's abroad. Is there not a place called East Angular abroad?

RedFred
03-10-2005, 20:55:23
Originally posted by Oerdin
Aren't you afraid of picking the wrong mushrooms and dying? It seems every year during mushroom season several people get poisoned even supposed experts who've been doing it for years.

I think that this is a popular modern myth.

There are several different kinds of poison from mushrooms.

Only idiots will die from some because they are easy to identify and taste bad. Some people who should know better do eat mushrooms whose toxicity builds in your body over time. You could keel over after years of eating the same mushroom.

On the other end of the scale are aminitas; even less than a single mushroom could kill you within 24 hoursif it is the wrong type of aminita. But apparently they taste great! Which is why some people persist in eating the safe types of aminitas. Most of us more cautious types won't risk our lives trying to distinguish a Destroying Angel from a Spring Coccora, but instead give all aminitas a pass.

Lazarus and the Gimp
03-10-2005, 22:39:26
You do get people trying Fly Agaric. It's certainly a powerful hallucinogen (it was what Viking Berzerkers used) but it can cause the odd bout of organ failure.

RedFred
04-10-2005, 02:17:48
Yes. Yes. That's it, Laz. Keep posting. How often does a thread on thread on one of my favourite topics, mushroom hunting, pop up?

Think I misspelled amanita above.

Found a big [i]Sparassis crispa[i] on the weekend.

Nills Lagerbaak
04-10-2005, 09:17:47
Yes, lets hope this thing mushrooms out of control! Can we please have a picture of this Sparassis crispa!

Oh and I didn't get a chance to go searchiing this weekend.; Have scheduled it for this coming Sunday.

Drekkus
04-10-2005, 12:53:37
A sparagiss are long, thin and white?

RedFred
04-10-2005, 20:33:00
Hmmm. Thin and white anyhow.

As I am a computer moron, I'll post a web link of a picture instead.

http://www.svims.ca/caper.htm

They can grow really big... the one I got was at least a kilo.
I made some Chinese style Hot and Sour soup out of about a pound of it. It was as good as my cream of chantrelle soup last week. The rest of this bizarre mushroom I will probably just fry up.

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-10-2005, 20:41:47
This is a delicious one, and it has the most poetic name.

http://www.northamptonshirewildlife.co.uk/Images/laccaria_amethystea.jpg

It's an Amethyst Deceiver.

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-10-2005, 20:42:58
Originally posted by RedFred
Hmmm. Thin and white anyhow.

As I am a computer moron, I'll post a web link of a picture instead.

http://www.svims.ca/caper.htm

Allow me.

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-10-2005, 20:43:39
Allow me to post a little red square, it seems...

Gary
04-10-2005, 21:41:04
http://www.svims.ca/image14.jpg
Testing testing testing ... 3 2 1

RedFred
05-10-2005, 05:21:17
Show off.

Nills Lagerbaak
05-10-2005, 09:14:54
Holy Crap! You'd brave eating that....it does look delicious and I guess you know what you're doing.

Hot and Sour soup is difnitely the way to go with that...drooooooool

Nills Lagerbaak
10-10-2005, 09:45:26
Update for everybody:

Laz know's his shit. The first North facing field we found on the stretch suggested, had thousands of them! Took a while to locate the first clump and then there were litterally clumps of shrooms growing together.
Must have collected around 400 before our container was filled.

Brilliant. Shall endeavour to consume this weekend - await further updates.

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-10-2005, 19:32:06
Damn straight. I spent large chunks of my teenage years giggling at the sight of my own hands.

Cruddy
10-10-2005, 19:58:20
...should you decide to accept it:

Laz, as it is now very much the season for mushroom hunting, I was wondering if you knew of any good places in the vicinity of Bristol? I shall be securing a car for a day and fancy a little hunt (and don't fancy randomly walking through Wales (again))

Thanks!

2 possible sites;-

1) Mendip Transmitter, near Wells (just get on a bus). Huge great radio aerial - they never cut the grass at the top, gets lots of rain, perfect.

2) Magic Valley - very elusive to find. It's a small valley about a mile from Cheddar Gorge - the picking is second to none, but finding it a second time is nearly as difficult as the first.

Cruddy
10-10-2005, 20:04:57
Originally posted by Oerdin

There's only 2 fatal fungi in Britain, both of them MUCH larger than liberty caps.

Aparently the secret with fly agaric is to eat it whole, don't chew - the toxins only form on contact with oxygen. I've never been brave enough to try.

Natural hallucinogens are very mild compared to stuff like LSD and DMT (latter is real HEAVY SHIT - having seen it's effects on others I have no interest in trying it).

Haven't done any hallucinogens in years. Why not try some Thai Whites at the Smart Shop in Holland? :p

Cruddy
10-10-2005, 20:14:02
Update for everybody:

Laz know's his shit. The first North facing field we found on the stretch suggested, had thousands of them! Took a while to locate the first clump and then there were litterally clumps of shrooms growing together.
Must have collected around 400 before our container was filled.

Brilliant. Shall endeavour to consume this weekend - await further updates.

Remember - 50 is plenty for a first time.

I usually roast them for 20 minutes or so - low heat, gas mask 3.

Pouring boiling water over and strain it Leave to stand (the sludge at the bottom is HORRIBLE).

Psilocybin dissolves very well you see - you don't HAVE to eat them.

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-10-2005, 20:27:00
Originally posted by Cruddy

Aparently the secret with fly agaric is to eat it whole, don't chew - the toxins only form on contact with oxygen. I've never been brave enough to try.

There's a safer way. Get someone (or something) else to eat it. Then drink their piss. The organ-threatening toxins get filtered out.

LoD
10-10-2005, 22:09:10
[...] It's an Amethyst Deceiver.

Is it because you turn violet once you've eaten it?

Nills Lagerbaak
11-10-2005, 09:18:39
Remember - 50 is plenty for a first time.

I usually roast them for 20 minutes or so - low heat, gas mask 3.

Pouring boiling water over and strain it Leave to stand (the sludge at the bottom is HORRIBLE).

Psilocybin dissolves very well you see - you don't HAVE to eat them.

No worries, I'm a dab hand at preparing and eating shrooms. I've dried them out nice and proper so I might just much them as a beer snack.

Might bosh them at a fancy dress party this weekend (where you come as who you wanted to be when you were younG). I'll have to dust down my lab coat, goggles and bunsen burner....

Also Cruddy, funny you should mention that transmitter - my friends recommeded that too. I think Laz's place might have been magic valley, I'm pretty sure I could never find it again.

Funko
11-10-2005, 09:20:54
Might bosh them at a fancy dress party this weekend (where you come as who you wanted to be when you were younG). I'll have to dust down my lab coat, goggles and bunsen burner....

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-10-2005, 19:22:55
I think Laz's place might have been magic valley, I'm pretty sure I could never find it again.

"Magic Valley" is semi-mythical. I've heard it described as being...

1- the valley that leads down into Ebbor Gorge, near Priddy.

2- The area surrounding Burrington Coombe, near the famous "Rock of Ages".

3- A valley near Cheddar Gorge.

I've been to all those places and they're all good shroom ground. Then again, most of the Mendips are. It's warm and damp, with loads of cowshit and a fair few north-facing slopes.

Cruddy
11-10-2005, 21:25:58
Ah, the land of my youth... <sniff>

Bit hard to get work or an education there though. Especially if you're out in the sticks and don't drive.

Cruddy
11-10-2005, 21:27:30
There's a safer way. Get someone (or something) else to eat it. Then drink their piss. The organ-threatening toxins get filtered out.

I'm certainly not brave enough to try THAT.

I mean, what if I like it? :shudder:

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-10-2005, 19:25:09
Ah, the land of my youth... <sniff>

Bit hard to get work or an education there though. Especially if you're out in the sticks and don't drive.

Whereabouts are you from? I grew up in Dunkerton.