PDA

View Full Version : A very long engagement

The Norks
27-09-2005, 13:06:26
Starring Audrey Tatou and bizarrely featuring an unbilled Jodie Foster speaking impeccable French. Directed by Jean Pierre Jeunet (Amelie)

I watched this today, and its visually every bit as gorgeous and rich as Amelie, but more mature in style. About a girl whose fiancee goes missing in WW1, forcing her to search for him and unravel a lot of mysteries and histories along the way. If Amelie was about the excitement and freshness of new love, this is about the maturation of that love into something persistent and dogged. It started off rather twee but it gradually boils down into something far more mellow and, by the end, harrowing. It follows the stories of 5 men who are sentenced to death for trying to escape the war by injuring themselves, and as their stories develop and entangle you see the chaos and disillusionment of the war unfolding. I'm not sure it reached a level of emotional intensity and rawness that other war films have, but if you don't shed a tear at least once you're probably made of stone. I'd give it 7 or 8 out of 10- its very lovely and definitely worth watching but the mannered and romantic style perhaps stopped me engaging fully with it. If you like Delicatessen, Amelie or Moulin Rouge you will like it.

Anyone else seen it?

MOBIUS
27-09-2005, 13:13:21
Yes, I thought it was a brilliant film!

Yeah the Jodie Foster bit was a bit surreal...

9/10

fp
27-09-2005, 13:33:24
Least. Appealing. Film. Title. Ever.

I'm not saying it's a bad film, in fact it sounds good - but I don't think the title will have people queuing up at the box office!

Funko
27-09-2005, 13:37:14
It screams chick flick at you.

I must get round to watching Amelie. I've had the video on loan from my parents for over a year. Found it in a bag when I moved. :)

Nills Lagerbaak
27-09-2005, 13:49:29
Hmm, you might need to bring your sick bucket with you. I mean it's a charming film and all that but I think Amelie's character gets a bit clawing after a while.

The Norks
27-09-2005, 18:30:26
yeah the title is pretty crappy, although I think the French title probably has a more subtle meaning. And yes, it does get a bit cloying, like Amelie. I think Amelie had more verve to it.

Still they're both head and shoulders above most of what you get at the box office.

Nills Lagerbaak
28-09-2005, 09:23:54
Yes, cloying...that's what I actually wanted to say. Still Amelie with a claw....interesting.

Funko
28-09-2005, 09:23:57
That must be why I very rarely go to the cinema.:)

Tizzy
28-09-2005, 09:44:35
Nope, that's cos we're too lazy and/or always find something better to do :)

Funko
28-09-2005, 09:47:05
Like sit around doing nothing?