PDA

View Full Version : In negotiations

BigGameHunter
23-09-2005, 17:49:56
With another big box retailer.
My current new manager has the leadership skills of a chain gang boss. We are beating up people left and right and each time one of my good team member's quits and doesn't come to work he scratches his head and says "oh well...we've got great new people coming!"
What an idiot.
I feel sorry for the people that are going to get left behind when Hurricane Christmas hits that store...but since I live 2 miles away I'll be sure to come in daily, shake my head at the mess they are in and say something vaguely supportive but obviously sarcastic.

Mess with me will ya!

Out of the frying pan!

JM^3
23-09-2005, 17:53:53
Into the fire!

JM

BigGameHunter
23-09-2005, 18:02:15
Exactly...but I might boost my salary a bit and have the satisfaction of telling my current boss to go fuck himself.
I'm thinking about tape recording the exit conversatio.

Oerdin
23-09-2005, 18:09:52
Make sure you post the results. ;)

BigGameHunter
23-09-2005, 18:33:20
They have the internet in jail now?

Japher
23-09-2005, 19:08:42
Where do you think Venom posts from?

BigGameHunter
23-09-2005, 19:18:55
A cave? The zoo? An abandoned government genetic experiment base?

Provost Harrison
23-09-2005, 20:06:56
Good luck BGH, I hope you get the opportunity to hand in your notice in an appropriate manner...

BigGameHunter
23-09-2005, 23:40:36
Yeah...just hope it doesn't go past the elbow...that might get messy.

Drekkus
26-09-2005, 10:43:48
:lol:

Funko
26-09-2005, 10:48:36
Another brownie recipie!

mr.G
26-09-2005, 10:58:36
:nervous:

MDA
26-09-2005, 11:51:46

MoSe
26-09-2005, 12:58:33
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
A cave? The zoo? An abandoned government genetic experiment base?

no, your next employer's storage facility

BigGameHunter
27-09-2005, 21:33:44
OK...two interviews (the second one was tougher...why do I always hit it off with the upper managers and clash with the mid level ones????) and now an email saying "let's talk some parameters/interest levels" stuff from the area HR recruiter.
Meanwhile, after getting a "quit or be fired" from my boss 3 weeks ago, he has slowly become nice and supportive etc. again...did I call his bluff by not quitting? Is he having second thoughts? Am I insane?

So...jump for a little more money and a slightly inferior company in an industry I don't care for, in order to "secure a position in light of currently dicey situation"...or ride this one out until I find a job I truly like?

Need sage, objective advice and cackling "your life sucks have fun being hoisted on your own petard" comments equally.

Lazarus and the Gimp
27-09-2005, 21:35:43
Take the bigger money if your current boss is a tool.

Provost Harrison
27-09-2005, 21:38:02
I say good luck, and if you get your job, shit in your bosses drawer...

BigGameHunter
27-09-2005, 21:42:06
Very much a "frying pan into fire" situation (I seem to be an oblivious professional at securing them for some reason) but money does indeed smother certain qualities like lost dreams and subjugation of the soul, does it not?

What is a typical expectation for bumps in pay from someone being "stolen from the competition"?

Provost Harrison
27-09-2005, 21:52:28
It depends on how much shit you are expecting to take...personally I don't think I would be able to take that level of shit from a boss. I'd end up going in a way, pissing in a jug, coming back and pouring it over his/her head...

BigGameHunter
27-09-2005, 22:00:38
Yeah...a real prick...especially after I'd been out with my Dad's death...really feel as though I was shit talked by scared underlings and kicked when I was down...bastards...see, I'm getting all pissed off again now...grrrrrr.

Provost Harrison
27-09-2005, 22:07:34
I can't blame you...seriously...

fp
27-09-2005, 22:07:40
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Take the bigger money if your current boss is a tool.

Totally agree. It sounds like this new job will, at the very worst, be just as annoying as your current job. Only it's more money.

Taking the job doesn't mean that you have to stop looking for something you'll really enjoy. Until you find it, take the money!

Alexander's Horse
27-09-2005, 22:42:41
have the satisfaction of telling my current boss to go fuck himself.
I'm thinking about tape recording the exit conversatio.

don't do that part :gasmaske:

Good luck, you've demonstrated survival skills and stuck it out which not a lot of people could do. Thats a real bounus from working for fucknuckle.

The Norks
28-09-2005, 09:00:44
take the money and run. You don't need the stress.

Funko
28-09-2005, 09:27:19
And if you still have stress, at least you have the money.

MoSe
28-09-2005, 10:59:22
and we stress *money*

BigGameHunter
29-09-2005, 05:37:44
Yeah...money good...people bad.

Drekkus
29-09-2005, 08:49:52
Originally posted by MoSe
and we stress *money* :lol:
From what I read, BGH, your jobs is insane, and your boss is a prick. So go for the better money, the job can't be worse.

BigGameHunter
29-09-2005, 22:40:39
Now have a call from regional recruiter for rival company as well as GM of local branch...want to "calibrate several points on offer and gauge level of interest" (quoted direct).
Sounds promising.
Irony is, same day my prickboss gave me my "write up" (24 days after he verballed it!) but delivered it with "you are so great these last 3 weeks that this is now just a formality for you to sign...keep up the good work and you are going places!". Yeah, right...what a total fucker.
I signed just to buy time until I can get the other offer.
Seriously considering kicking this fucker's ass.
This country's corporate system is total and utter wank...the way they shit on people is truly evil.

Alexander's Horse
29-09-2005, 22:52:21
smart. Thank God you've kept your sense of humour.

Provost Harrison
29-09-2005, 23:16:09
I am sure you can think of something more imaginitive than just plain beating the shit out of him, and I am sure you will execute it with style ;) Sometimes I fancy writing a letter to Novartis Grimsby pointing out how well I am getting on at the moment and how I earn more than the manager who got shut of me :D

Oerdin
30-09-2005, 00:08:04
Shit in his coffee cup. You could be the new phantom shitter.

RedFred
30-09-2005, 06:40:03
Grab an armchair and sit down for a bit, this post could get lengthy...

There is a lot to be considered when you are looking at switching jobs. Especially if you are the main breadwinner and you have young kids. In my experience the pay difference is usually the thing most people base their decision on, but the pay gain is often not the most critical point. I've only ever been offered only a few extra thousand for switching, which is generally not as big an issue as the type of pension plan you get or other benefits. And in the US I understand medical coverage is huge.

And the less tangibles can make or break a deal. Are you getting more or less holidays? Do you have a bigger or smaller commute? Are your hours better or worse? Which job is less stressful? You've said a bit about the manager personalities, but your current/future coworkers and subordinates are just as important as the type of boss you work for. Are you ready for the kind of testing/challenging behaviours that your future coworkers may engage in if you switch? Some people think if you are new to your company, anything that you have done before doesn't matter.

Ultimately you are the one who has all the information at your fingertips and any CeeGeer who only knows you over the internet does not. Last year I faced a difficult decision, to leave a new job for a bit more money and a lot better benefits or stay. After agonizing over it, I sat down and listed all the factors I considered important, how important and then the ranking for either job. It is a worthwhile exercise.

Factors which ultimately tipped the balance for me deciding to stay: my current 4 block walk commute to work, the great way my supervisor and my senior manager treated me, and some of the other qualities of my current senior manager. Such as she is highly organized, whereas my alternative manager is a super personable guy but he has no part of his desk visible because he has so much stuff going on.

When you have reached the right decision you will feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders. If you reach the wrong decision it will keep nagging at you long after you've made your choice.

Best of luck reaching the right decision.

And I agree with you about the corporate world we live in. Even 20 years ago if you didn't mess up you were with a company as long as you wanted, now even the best performers are only one step away from the door.

Drekkus
30-09-2005, 10:31:10
This country's corporate system is total and utter wank...the way they shit on people is truly evil. Could you elaborate on that? Like to hear more.

MDA
30-09-2005, 11:41:33
We need to channel Steinbeck to do it justice.

Alexander's Horse
01-10-2005, 02:19:40
I got 40 staff here, I lead by being invisible and keep my coffee cup in the safe

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-10-2005, 08:40:46
Originally posted by Drekkus
Could you elaborate on that? Like to hear more.

Which do you need explaining? Corporate culture, or wanking and shitting?

Drekkus
01-10-2005, 11:26:58
The corporate culture. If it's really that much worse there, or that much better here.

Oerdin
02-10-2005, 03:04:57
The corporate culture varies hugely from company to company. Some are virtual sweat shops while others are actually very fun and generous places to work.

BigGameHunter
02-10-2005, 17:03:40
Good stuff, all.
RedFred...you are absolutely correct, of course. I'm in an end game position here so I don't have much choice. The paperwork I go put me on a "Final" warning, which means if I fart in the wrong room, I'm gone---this other job may not (and, in my heart/mind, is not) the ideal substitute, but it is necessary to keeping income coming and food on the table until I find a vocation that is more like an avocation.

Drekkus-- Google the "Peter principle" and that will give you a start. Basically, upper managers seem to be somewhat more evolved--middle managers or those striving for upper management quite often will do ANYTHING to advance their cause. My workplace went from "ok/normal" to an absolute soap opera of lies, intrigue, back-stabbing and full flight of good hourly workers as soon as the new manager (a 32 y.o. fire breather) declared it was open season on anyone who did not meet his expectations and kiss his ass. We have and are still losing the best people--funny that--while you give it to poor performers in the neck, the sharp people see the way people are being treated and, even if exempt themselves, don't like it and figure they're next.
I've seen a lot of wasted time and money and weak leadership, but the scariest US trait is the promotion of the young male "hardass" type who "gets results" and "boosts metrics" while crapping on people mercilessly.
Of course, I've worked in automotive, retail, etc....some of the most notorious industries.
That's why I'm hoping for a cube farm or machine babysitting job, in lieu of winning the lottery or going back to school for my teaching certificate.
Keep in mind I am also hyper sensitive, fairly paranoid and not well suited for the social platitudes required in business settings.

Alexander's Horse
03-10-2005, 00:14:38
teaching cert looks good

Oerdin
03-10-2005, 07:02:53
Government jobs are ideal. No pressure to perform, no so and so produced more, no final warnings unless you rape a smalll child.

HelloKitty
03-10-2005, 07:04:26
Well there is always the risk f a hurricane when your incompetence is shown to the public. Then you have to take a job as an advisor to determine what went wrong.

JM^3
03-10-2005, 07:10:46
I think the main person from Firaxis who posts on poly now is Trip

who use to be just a normal poly person.. but then got hired (Within the last 6 months I think)

JM

Alexander's Horse
03-10-2005, 09:57:59
Originally posted by Oerdin
Government jobs are ideal. No pressure to perform, no so and so produced more, no final warnings unless you rape a smalll child.

sometimes its like that

Drekkus
03-10-2005, 14:01:23
Originally posted by JM^3
I think the main person from Firaxis who posts on poly now is Trip

who use to be just a normal poly person.. but then got hired (Within the last 6 months I think)

JM What?? What are you talking about? Poly? why?

JM^3
03-10-2005, 14:27:40
I was tired...

JM

Japher
03-10-2005, 14:34:42

MDA
03-10-2005, 19:04:55
Originally posted by Oerdin

Amen.

Where I work don't have much pressure to perform (just meet your deadlines and we'll ignore you), we do have "metrics" that show who's done the work, and although you won't get a final warning, you could end up transferred to a shit job.

It takes a full year of documented piss-poor performance to get the firing process started. Unless you're high up in the more politically influenced parts of the FDA.

There are rewards for good performance - step or pay grade increases, time off awards, and a tendency for the more interesting work to get diverted to your desk. Good performance means doing more than your core function, not just doing your core job well. Quality of life here is far superior to any other job I've ever had.

I got a handwritten thank you card hand delivered from the Center's Assistant director today for my work on a center-wide database. :beer:

plus: people actually benefit from our work - safer food and healthier pets for the US!

BigGameHunter
03-10-2005, 21:34:02
Do you need a secretary? I don't look too good in a dress (I DO have nice albeit hairy legs) but I can type my ass off.

Alexander's Horse
03-10-2005, 23:03:54
the downside is my guys who get fired by Target end up at the FDA

MDA
04-10-2005, 00:12:18
We have one full-time employee position left to fill, don't know yet if they want a scientist or another applications examiner (uber-secretary with a little science background).

They're dragging their feet filling it for some reason, I guess they don't know what they want either.