PDA

View Full Version : Fun buying memory

LoD
21-09-2005, 23:22:09
Long story short, I've been trying to buy me a Kingston 512 MB, 333 Mhz, CL 2.5 for a reasonable price for the past few weeks. As some of you may know, those things are hard to get. So far the lowest price I managed to find was around 50 euro.
Anyway, while trying to find it I got some interesting opinions from the vendors. Like this one - to get dual channel working properly, you need to get a matching stick from the same production series (or batch, whichever you prefer to call it) as the one you have already. I'm 99% that's bullshit, since two sticks with the same specs and the same vendor should be basically identical for all the MMU cares about, but I prefer to ask here to be sure. So... is that what I've been told bullshit?

Gary
22-09-2005, 09:08:36
Don't know, but I do know you have to be careful with getting memory.

I think it was Crucial's web page I went to when I wanted to increase my lounge PC's memory. They had a programme that would run and confirm the memory you wanted, guarantied to avoid you buying the wrong sort.

Used it, bought memory that when installed should treble the existing amount. Plugged it in, couldn't get it to work. Turned out it would work fine if I removed the existing memory, or the existing memory would work fine if I didn't plug in the new. Changing slots made no odds. Ended up with just a doubling of memory and not a trebling. :(

LoD
23-09-2005, 07:58:14
It goes without saying that one has to be careful when buying memory. That's why I searched for a chip from the same manufacturer, with exactly the same specs. I'm just wandering why in the world the sticks have to be from the same production batch to work correctly in dual channel.

MDA
23-09-2005, 11:49:05
they usually will, but you'll get no guarantee from the manufacturer under those circumstances, I think

MDA
23-09-2005, 11:51:28
If the manufacurer has good process controls, it really shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, some manufacturers don't monitor their manufacturing processes closely enough to ensure consistency between batches.

LoD
27-09-2005, 13:44:11
Originally posted by MDA
they usually will, but you'll get no guarantee from the manufacturer under those circumstances, I think

Well if they do deviate from the specs written on the box it's a breach of contract on the seller's part. That's how it works around these here parts anyway.

MDA
29-09-2005, 12:39:57
here, too - but if its anything like the drug industry, you could drive a city bus through their specifications

LoD
30-09-2005, 20:29:49
Well that's my question - where are the loopholes.
And did I already mention that, of the two shop owners who told me you need sticks from the same production series, one insisted that the sticks having different bus speeds will not cause any problems, and the other denied the existence of 1 GB memory chips?

MDA
03-10-2005, 19:22:46
:lol:

MDA
03-10-2005, 20:02:50
I don't really have a good answer for your question. I do know that my PC's motherboard (or its BIOS) is very tempermental about memory when all 4 banks are filled, but I only use 2 at the moment. Crucial and Kingston's websites have lots of info on memory, you might find answers there. Mushkin's site has forums.

LoD
07-10-2005, 20:56:34
Thanks of the hints!