PDA

View Full Version : Can electronic music have feeling?

Colon
11-04-2002, 12:58:58
I think plenty of electronic music has a feeling in it. I agree that's not so much the case in rougher genres like techno or drum&bass or music purely produced at making you dance like most trance. But it certainly can be the case with house or trip-hop music for instance, and particularly when vocals or an instrument like a saxophone is included. I'm thinking of songs like "the man with a red face" by Laurent Garnier, "Finally" by Kings of Tomorrow, "Knights of the Jaguar" by DJ Rolando or one of those many sensitive trip-hop tracks.

Funkodrom
11-04-2002, 13:04:17
Definitely.

Colon
11-04-2002, 13:12:04
Examples?

Funkodrom
11-04-2002, 13:14:26
Ah... there are loads. Anything by Underworld which is kind of ambient techno.

I think that intense drum and bass and trance can be emotional too. Even if the emotion is happiness or whatever.

Colon
11-04-2002, 14:08:43
I agree, DnB and trance (and techno as well, for that matter) can be emotional too but IMHO there isn't as much chance, because the focus is at making you dance and have fun.

But you have also tracks that can really “touch” you like a rock, an r&b or a reggae song can, and I think many people don’t know that.

Vincent Fandango
11-04-2002, 15:05:21
Strange question. I guess most of electonic music has "feeling in it". Why shouldn't it? Just go to the new age boutique and get an overdose of "feeling".
What is electronic music? Does it depend on the way the sound is created (instrument), the arrangement (genre) or the composition?

FunkyFingers
11-04-2002, 15:12:36
Any music, from any genre, produced by any instrument or technology can and will create feeling.
In my opinion, every time you listen to anything, you're subjectively analysing it and an emotional response is created, which is what's so good about music, and of course arts in general.

I've got some ambient drum and bass that's really quite powerful stuff, and I've got some 17th Century Choral music that leaves me utterly stone cold (and I'm a choral singer!). Stuff by Future Sound of London, or The Orb can really open your horizons to what "electronic" music can do (of course that's rather old hat now, but there you go).
I think the thing is if it's done "well" (which again is of course entirely subjective) it'll be more "emotional".

Colon
12-04-2002, 13:57:08
What is electronic music? Does it depend on the way the sound is created (instrument), the arrangement (genre) or the composition?

Yeah, I admit you can't exactly categorise certain genres as electronic or not, but I think of it as music where the emphasis lies at electronic instruments. (and that's the best shot I can give at it)

No longer Trippin
13-04-2002, 01:27:03
Examples? Well when I DJed I could control the flow of the club or party. I know it works in groups. Individually ir does from personal experience.

Vincent Fandango
13-04-2002, 09:57:40
"where the emphasis lies at electronic instruments"
Aaaah, the HARDMAN song ...

Noisy
13-04-2002, 10:23:44
Music - however it is produced - usually reflects the emotions that caused it to be produced. If there is no emotional input, then there is less likely to be an emotional response. There must be a craft behind it, as well, because some composers can manipulate music to engender responses. To support my thesis, do you get much emotional response when listening to boy bands or other manufactured groups, churning out their pap?

Snapcase
14-04-2002, 09:28:08
Every time I litsen to Autobahn I nearly get tears in my eyes.

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-04-2002, 12:39:07
Me too. The expression "bored to tears" has never been so apt.

Funkodrom
14-04-2002, 21:51:09
:lol:

FunkyFingers
16-04-2002, 09:26:55
Originally posted by Noisy
Music - however it is produced - usually reflects the emotions that caused it to be produced. If there is no emotional input, then there is less likely to be an emotional response. There must be a craft behind it, as well, because some composers can manipulate music to engender responses. To support my thesis, do you get much emotional response when listening to boy bands or other manufactured groups, churning out their pap?

99/100 times my emotional response to boy band plastic pap is to want to cause violent harm to them, their producers and all the fools for falling for their evil marketing. However I suspect that's not the emotional response the producers were aiming for! Unfortunately though, the boy band machine does seem to produce a very large emotional response in the hearts and minds of the pre- and early-teen markets, who part with huge amounts of cash to make them successful. Urgh.
Still, there's a song by Blue that's not half bad :D

Beta1
17-04-2002, 14:07:31
example - most of the stuff by vangelis

Try the balderunner score for a start