PDA

View Full Version : Revolution controller

Funko
16-09-2005, 16:01:40
Motion sensors on the controller translate its movements into game action, allowing it to be used as a virtual sword, baseball bat or racket.

Cool.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4251720.stm

fp
16-09-2005, 16:27:08
Not cool - it looks like a stereo remote control, and an inferior quality one at that!

Asher
16-09-2005, 18:16:19
Nintendo is done -- a gimmick PowerGlove derivative as the standard controller?

A technically-inferior console with the usual Super Mario Snowstorm and Metroid Prime 492 is going to fail miserably in the marketplace alone, this toy isn't going to help it.

fp
16-09-2005, 18:27:35
During the demonstration during Mr Iwata's speech, the controller was seen being used by players to conduct an on-screen orchestra, play a virtual musical instrument and even use an in-game dentists' drill.

Holy crap Nintendo make shit games.

Although I must admit the prospect of using this controller as a kind of virtual stick to beat a little Nintendog to death is quite appealing.

Oerdin
16-09-2005, 19:14:33
Nintendo is just very Japan-o-centric where shit like that sells. They're deep into a sales slide though and if MS can bump up it's X-box sales in Japan then expect to see Nintendo squeezed out of the hardware business. That's what happened to Sega, Atari, Neo-Geo, Calico, and a shit load of others.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
17-09-2005, 02:41:19
To do that though they'd need a clutch of games that appeal to Japanese gamers. To do that, you need Japanese developers, since the Western cultures don't make games like that. I wonder how many bizzaro Japanese developers the XBox 360 has on board? Without it, gimicky as it may be, the Nintendo will still do well in Japan. Still, that represents a diminished market for Nintendo, which is becoming increasingly irrelevant on the world stage.

King_Ghidra
21-09-2005, 10:44:54
well one man's gimmick is another man's innovation

i respect the fact that they are trying to find alternate gaming inputs, because clearly such things can change the kind and type of games that will be developed, and that's a good thing for me.

95% of released games are either bollocks or just profoundly uninteresting concepts. Anything that tries to change that situation should be applauded.

frankly who gives a fuck if it bombs in the marketplace amongst the retarded teens who snap up ea derivative nonsense and shit shooting games. if the result of this is something cool that i can play then i win.

Funko
21-09-2005, 10:47:17
They'll change their tune when they bring out the first lightsabre fighting game with it.

The Higgelhoff
21-09-2005, 10:59:50
.....or fishing :D

Sir Penguin
21-09-2005, 16:15:47
Or lightsabre fishing!

SP

Venom
01-10-2005, 05:18:50
Ok, after watching some TV coverage of Tokyo gameshow, I'm on the bandwagon for this. The possibilities for this thing are amazing. And for that alone it deserves attention and possibly even worship.

Of course I'm sure the actual platform will still suck.