PDA

View Full Version : Ninjas etc. on BBC3 last night

Nills Lagerbaak
15-09-2005, 09:35:43
Saw a programme called Mind, Body and Kick ass moves last night, sounds like it should be a piece of pap on channel 5, but it was actually really good.

Lots of explanations of the seamingly super human feats of performers like the Shaolin Monks (conclusion - it's all physics but fuck it up and you're dead)

A cool interview with Samo hung

A potted history of the Ninja (starting with the comment "Ninjas. If they didn't exist you'd have to invent them!), which quite nicely explained the difference between samurai and Ninjas, and how the ninjas were really just a bunch of theives and tricksters.

I think the coolest bit was when the presenter got some break dancers to turn their moves into fighting moves...

Might see if it's a series.

Funko
15-09-2005, 09:38:14
Sounds good. :D

For some reason we can't get BBC3 on freeview anymore, had it for a while but now can't get a signal either in my current flat or the previous one.

Nills Lagerbaak
15-09-2005, 09:39:28
Yeah, freeview is wierd. Every time we turn it off and on we get new channels and sometimes lose them!

Nav
15-09-2005, 10:22:54
No problems where I am, obviously freeview doesn't like being broadcast west of London. ;)

DaShi
15-09-2005, 11:38:11
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak

A potted history of the Ninja (starting with the comment "Ninjas. If they didn't exist you'd have to invent them!), which quite nicely explained the difference between samurai and Ninjas, and how the ninjas were really just a bunch of theives and tricksters.

Also, in general, samurai's don't flip out.

alsieboo
16-09-2005, 12:23:43
That show has been running for a while

protein
16-09-2005, 12:36:47
Yup. It's a repeat. After watching the whole series you kind of come to the conclusion that alot of kung fu is smoke and mirrors and really gets lost up it's own arse.

The really stripped down, no bullshit completely functional martial arts like muay thai, western boxing and brazillian ju jitsu are completely ignored in the series. It's more about esoteric secret ninja bullshit death touch moves. Which is a shame. While the mystical looking arts make excellent stories for movies, fighting isn't like that at all.

Nills Lagerbaak
16-09-2005, 12:45:23
Although the bit on wing chun (sp?) was really good.

Excellent explanation of how if you punch with both you bicept and tricep muscles it feels really powerful to you, but actually has no power and is like driving a car with the brake and the accelerator both pressed down (i.e. opposing each other). If however you only punch with the tricept you get loads more power, hence things like the one-inch punch, and where an old man can knock a big guy over.

Nills Lagerbaak
16-09-2005, 12:47:53
Originally posted by protein
Yup. It's a repeat. After watching the whole series you kind of come to the conclusion that alot of kung fu is smoke and mirrors and really gets lost up it's own arse.

The really stripped down, no bullshit completely functional martial arts like muay thai, western boxing and brazillian ju jitsu are completely ignored in the series. It's more about esoteric secret ninja bullshit death touch moves. Which is a shame. While the mystical looking arts make excellent stories for movies, fighting isn't like that at all.

Well, I wouldn't say the Ninja stuff was bulshit, I mean it was more like how the ninja used underhand tactics in a flight like using a weapon with a secret dagger in it and such like,

Funko
16-09-2005, 12:49:16
and then popped massive boners and wailed on their guitars?

Drekkus
16-09-2005, 13:03:52
:lol:

protein
16-09-2005, 16:21:40
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Well, I wouldn't say the Ninja stuff was bulshit, I mean it was more like how the ninja used underhand tactics in a flight like using a weapon with a secret dagger in it and such like,
No, I agree with you, the wing chun stuff was ace, so are all the ninja techniques. But alot of what's shown in that programme is esoteric stuff like making people fall over without touching them and combining fifteen animal techniques with elemental mystical techniques to create all these new complicated mystical styles which are just overly complicated for the sake of it.

Which is kind of fair enough but sometimes you have to wonder why there are more shaolin techniques than a man could learn in his lifetime and yest someone who has studied boxing or something similar seriously for a couple of years could probably beat any shaolin monk or chi gong master in a real fight. I suppose that's where the spiritual side comes into it. It's less of a combat technique and more of a zen art.

That side used to really excite me but it seems like a waste of time. No matter how interesting and pretty it all is.

They do show some wicked filipino martial arts on one of the episodes and this little Japanese chap who is seriously hard and trains special forces in unarmed combat.

Lurker the Second
16-09-2005, 16:24:59
Massive boners. I'd shoulda been a ninja. :(

Funko
19-09-2005, 09:43:08
Pop them, not be them.