PDA

View Full Version : More fun... (not really)

JM^3
14-09-2005, 07:02:14
So everything is not yet decided as far as my life goes.

While I am interested in joining the research group down in southern virginia, they are not yet sure if they want me (a software guy is who is needed, and while I have some procedural programming experience (modern Fortran is very similiar to C (With some C++ things like Constructors/Decontructors and Pointers)) but no object oreinted programming experimence. Now maybe what they want is such that I can catch up.. but since the accelerator needs to start running at the beggining of next year, they are under time contraints, which might limit who they can take.

I have decided that I am willing to move and all that, so there isn't really any problem on my end.

But now there is a new problem, I had a hard time in the Spring of '03 and dropped all my courses (And got a C in the one that I couldn't drop). I haven't been too interested in focusing on courses, so my average is still below a B (+s and -s don't count). However, they have recently made a new policy that averages must be above a 3.0 by the end of the semester or the student is dismissed.

So that means I have to deal with that as well, I still am fine for this semester, but this new policy really limits me, and I need to deal with it right away.

But I was suppose to go down to Southern Virginia tomorrow to talk to the software guy about the experiment. Additionally, Ophelia is making everyone nervous, so they might not want me down there until Friday or next week anyway. Which is bad because I need to start getting paid (and have my tuition taken care of, I have to pay extra if I haven't paid it by the 20th).

Jon Miller

mr.G
14-09-2005, 07:39:46
sounds like no fun at all jon.

JM^3
14-09-2005, 07:54:19
yeah..

I was a bit depressed before I saw my chairs email (Which was a response to the email I sent him at 3pm)

this is all so much to deal with..

JM

Gary
14-09-2005, 08:40:01
Unsure how a 3.0 relates to a B, but it all sounds stressful anyway. Best of luck with it all coming right.

JM^3
14-09-2005, 08:48:57
a 3.0 is a B

1.0 D
2.0 C
3.0 B
4.0 A

JM

JM^3
14-09-2005, 08:49:24
I Am too stressed to sleep

thisn't is very good

JM

Lurker the Second
14-09-2005, 14:06:22
Not that anyone would or should take advice from me, but fwiw it sounds like you need to devote your complete attention to your studies. Leave the computer games and console games alone until the semester is over. Save the partying for Friday and Saturday. Get up early and go to school. Stay late if necessary. Demonstrate the focus and responsibility necessary to make the people who are in a position to help you want to do so. Hopefully with that and effort by you, the work part will work itself out.

Start with the grades, though. You'll feel better about yourself for exerting the effort, plus you'll eliminate a major source of guilt and stress.

Venom
14-09-2005, 14:22:37
Southern Virginia sucks anyway.

Lurker the Second
14-09-2005, 14:26:29
Who stole my password?

DaShi
14-09-2005, 14:27:38
Originally posted by Lurker the Second
Not that anyone would or should take advice from me, but fwiw it sounds like you need to devote your complete attention to your studies. Leave the computer games and console games alone until the semester is over. Save the partying for Friday and Saturday. Get up early and go to school. Stay late if necessary. Demonstrate the focus and responsibility necessary to make the people who are in a position to help you want to do so. Hopefully with that and effort by you, the work part will work itself out.

Start with the grades, though. You'll feel better about yourself for exerting the effort, plus you'll eliminate a major source of guilt and stress.

Bah! That's craziness!

Drink until you don't care anymore.

mr.G
14-09-2005, 14:36:57
jep that's the solution, drink till you think clear.

MDA
14-09-2005, 14:39:31
ask for career advice on the internet!

er, what Lurker said.

JM^3
15-09-2005, 01:04:31
hmm

went down to southern virginia..

going to start work with them.. (need to go back Friday, need to fill out paperwork tomorrow, need to talk to Chair about grade situation tomorrow, need to turn in HW and do Electronics Lab tomorrow)

an OK day overall

JM

BigGameHunter
15-09-2005, 01:43:11
You are the master of understatement. Take some fucking joy from life!!! You just go thrown a line and you are inspecting the quality of the rope...

JM^3
15-09-2005, 02:28:41
I am trying to hang myself

JM