PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or have the last few versions of Winamp sucked serious balls?

Sir Penguin
12-09-2005, 16:14:44
I think starting around 5.08, it would work fine for a couple days after install, and then spontaneously configure itself to be "always on top," which couldn't be changed until a complete re-install. The problem continued in 5.09, and they've solved it now with 5.1.

The problem with 5.1 is that there are two big fucking black bars, one on either side of the screen, in full-screen video mode. And apparently, only for 4:3 (or 3:4 whatever it is) aspect ratio videos (OK, only for the DVD rips of DS9 that I've been watching, but those are the only 4:3 videos I have--and they worked fine in Winamp 5.09). They extend about 2cm out from the sides of the screen, and stretch from the top to the bottom of the screen (except for about 1cm at either end (the space covered by the control display that is shown when you move the mouse), where the corners of the video are displayed properly). Also, it seems to interpret a double-click on a windowed video as either "put this into full-screen mode" (correct behaviour), or "go on to the next playlist entry, if there is one, else put this into full-screen mode", totally arbitrarily.

It's still slightly better than WMP for video, but this is either retarded, or my fault.

SP

Deacon
12-09-2005, 19:51:15
Maybe your monitor's resolution isn't 4:3. Some players will blow away the aspect ratio to fit the screen.

Winamp loads slowly, but once it's up, it's a good audio player. I don't use it much for video. On the Windows side, I use WMP, BSPlayer and PowerDVD. The Windows port of VLC has some interesting features. It'll be kickass whenever it actually becomes stable. :)

Lurker the Second
13-09-2005, 17:53:47
Originally posted by Sir Penguin

It's still slightly better than WMP for video, but this is either retarded, or my fault.

SP

I wouldn't rule out retardedness on either end.

Sir Penguin
13-09-2005, 18:30:32
My monitor's resolution is 1024×768, so I don't think it's getting confused there.

I watched another 4:3 video today, and it had the same problem.

It doesn't do it when hardware video overlay is disabled. But you know what happens? The fucking thing makes those vertical bars when you call up the control display, and re-sizes the image to fit inside the black border, just like goddamned Windows Media Player 9 did. ASSHOLES! When hardware video overlay is enabled, the vertical bars just don't disappear. GODFUCKINGDAMN ASSHOLES!!!

SP

Lurker the Second
13-09-2005, 21:37:36
You shouldn't be stealing that valuable media content anyway. Serves you right.

Sir Penguin
14-09-2005, 03:41:12
The video I watched today was under the Creative Commons Licence. :p

SP

Deacon
15-09-2005, 00:49:34
There's always XINE and MPlayer. :)

Sir Penguin
15-09-2005, 02:32:55
Do they let you control volume with the scroll wheel and rewind and fast forward by 5 seconds with the arrow keys?

SP

Asher
15-09-2005, 07:03:28
No, but you get a hideous interface and lots of crashing.

Funko
15-09-2005, 09:07:45
Winamp has been shit since version 5 came out - FACT.

With version 10 WMP is my current favourite.

mr.G
15-09-2005, 20:22:56
larry had a little winamp