PDA

View Full Version : I feel ashamed and dirty!

MOBIUS
12-09-2005, 12:42:40
And that isn't from attending the Reading meet...:D

Nope, I am actually watching the cricket and being gripped by the suspense!

Oh the horror! :o

Funko
12-09-2005, 12:44:49
I am normally not interested in Cricket at all but this series has been great. Really exciting.

zmama
12-09-2005, 12:46:09
Well I know it isn't because you read your private messages ;)

Funko
12-09-2005, 12:49:07
And I know she means MOBIUS not me.

MOBIUS
12-09-2005, 12:52:43
That sounded like a subtle hint...:cute:

protein
12-09-2005, 12:53:17
You must be tired. Sometimes when I'm tired my mind plays tricks on me.

Try to keep things in perspective. A game which lasts for three weeks, that is based entirely on standing around doing nothing and talking about endless numbers and boring statistics is not gripping.

Go and have a coffee and a walk around the block and come back with some perspective. Maybe watch a thrilling movie and then go back to the cricket and then realise how silly you were.

If you want to watch something more exciting you could always slightly turn on a tap in your bathroom and watch it drip for three weeks. You could even write down a load of statistics and count how many times it drips, whether the drips always land in the same place, how good the light is, how the pressure behind the dripping has built, which way the drip is spinning etc etc.

you could even do a drip by drip radio coverage show from your bathroom and because the dripping is a bit dull, speak about all the more interesting things about you like spiders and tiles and mirrors etc.

Nills Lagerbaak
12-09-2005, 12:58:29
Actually someone reckoned the ball would bounce differently if it was a different colour. The same material, just different colour. That was interesting in its stupidity!

Funko
12-09-2005, 13:02:42
The white ball they use is made of a different material and does bounce differently, maybe that confused him.

Funko
12-09-2005, 13:03:08
Originally posted by protein
You must be tired.

No, he's right. Cricket is normally boring but this series is really exciting.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-09-2005, 13:46:21

Try to keep things in perspective. A game which lasts for three weeks, that is based entirely on standing around doing nothing and talking about endless numbers and boring statistics is not gripping.

Quite right.

This series, on the other hand, has been one of the most relentlessly gripping sporting events ever.

Funko
12-09-2005, 13:47:15
So that's 3 of us so far.

Drekkus
12-09-2005, 13:48:51
Can't say I've been drawn to it. :p

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-09-2005, 14:03:22
I've stopped watching it. I was getting too worked and started feeling sick.

Gary
12-09-2005, 14:05:01
England will be happy enough if they're drawn to it.

As for me, I understand it's a tense match, but I still can't interpret what's good and what's not.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-09-2005, 14:10:19
Trust me. This is good.

Beta1
12-09-2005, 14:12:08
I would come and say how gripping it is but infact I can't bear to watch it. I just come and check the score every 20 minutes or so cos I really can't cope.

Drekkus
12-09-2005, 14:19:58
So I reckon that for once England isn't being humiliated in a national teamsport?

Funko
12-09-2005, 14:20:22
:lol: Yep.

Gary
12-09-2005, 15:03:13
Lost 7th wicket. Doesn't sound good to me.

Funko
12-09-2005, 15:06:38
We're 215 ahead and there are 54 overs left.

When we're all out the Australians will have the remaining overs to bat (-2 overs for a changeover)

So at the moment if we were all out in the next over they'd need to score slightly more than 4 runs an over to win, as the overs get used up and our score gets higher they need to score more and more runs per over.

During the test series so far they've been scoring at between 3 and 3.5 an over but in a run chase they'd throw caution to the wind a little and smash the ball around.

At the moment if we can hang on for another half dozen overs and put on 20 or so more runs we will have a good chance of winning. As it is if they went into bat now it'd be tight I think.

Gary
12-09-2005, 15:15:42
I think I understand. Seems rather unfair to share one set of overs between both teams though, and then let the first team use as many as they like (can). Why, it's just not cricket ! :o or is, as the case might be. They ought to have the same number each.

protein
12-09-2005, 15:19:24
Originally posted by Beta1
I would come and say how gripping it is but infact I can't bear to watch it. I just come and check the score every 20 minutes or so cos I really can't cope.
As far as I understand, even the biggest cricket fan in the world wouldn't be able to watch a whole game and would rather just find out the statistics every now and then.

Funko
12-09-2005, 15:24:40
:lol:

No not at all. Most cricket fans will watch every ball if they can.

Nills Lagerbaak
12-09-2005, 15:28:55
I had a long conversation with quite a few cricket fans this weekend about the current ashes, and I can confirm that Yes, it still is boring and shit!

The most interesting thing is about whether the Ashes are allowed to move country.

protein
12-09-2005, 15:29:49
Really? Hmm. I've never met that sort of fan. I've only met the sort that like to find out "how we are doing" every now and then.

I've talked to people who like to go to cricket matched and they always say it's about beer, sunshine and being part of a big crowd that is the fun bit. The actual cricket is a bit far away and loses your interest after half an hour or so. That's only based on two or three people though.

Funko
12-09-2005, 15:30:54
Yeah, there aren't very many real cricket fans around. :)

Anyway, I agree with you cricket is normally really boring but this series is amazingly exciting.

Nills Lagerbaak
12-09-2005, 15:32:13
Oh yeah, one other interesting thing is that the ashes seem to be the remians of some ancient wickets. Bizzare.

Funko
12-09-2005, 15:34:14
Anyway, this series is so exciting that even people who never ever watch are getting really into it.

fp
12-09-2005, 15:39:09
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Oh yeah, one other interesting thing is that the ashes seem to be the remians of some ancient wickets. Bizzare.

Bails, not wickets.

Nills Lagerbaak
12-09-2005, 15:56:31
Ah yes, sorry that's what I meant.

BigGameHunter
13-09-2005, 02:22:26
I'd love to watch it (I think sport tells a lot about a culture) but I only have lowly local television (@4 fuzzy channels) and no knowledge of cricket. Finbar went into a long explanation on that other site once but I've since forgotten.
I'd like to play it sometime...or at least try the fundamentals.
Portland is a big leisure town (mostly outdoor sports) but I've seen people doing rugby, bocci ball, even curling here...hmmm...maybe I need to join an obscure sport team...

Provost Harrison
13-09-2005, 17:36:09
Protein :beer:

I still haven't got a frigging clue what it was all about. 215-2? Overs? Leg Before Wicket? It's alien to me. The thing is, if someone tries to explain it to me, my eyes just glaze over and I quickly descend into mindnumbing-boredom induced coma. Like the offside rule for that matter...

protein
13-09-2005, 17:57:51
"Ooh, a cracking soft safety shot there, and as the ball very slowly rolls towards the off blind googley side the widget keeper is woken from his deep sleep by the gentle tnok of plastic on elm. In the distance a number thirty two bus, or is it a thirty one, well, some sort of bus slowly meanders past the cricket ground and we all fall back into our deep drunken slumber as the teams return to chatting to each other and milling around doing, well, pretty much nothing. Look, a cloud. A cloud right there in the sky. Will you look at that. A cloud over the green where now the ball chucker is readying himself for the ten minute ceremonial rubbing of the ball on the leg routine before he very slowly prepares himself for gently tossing a ball at his friend who will no doubt softly tap the ball in a direction with an amusing name. The ball will zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Oh, sorry, nodded off there. The ball will no doubt be scooped up by one of the many sleepy gentlemen dressed like supermarket cheesecounter workers and the whole beautiful routine will be repeated endlessly for hours and hours and hours today and for the next few days. Oh how I love this game. zzzzzzzzzz"

Fistandantilus
13-09-2005, 18:08:19
:lol:

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-09-2005, 18:13:33
Or, if Richie Benaud had covered the same incident....

"Super shot there."

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-09-2005, 18:15:17
Protein just can't get his head around sports that don't involve having men dress up in pyjamas/fetish gear before grappling with each other homoerotically.

BigGameHunter
13-09-2005, 18:54:48
Protein...that is hilarious...really enjoyed that post immensely! :)

You must read Dave Eggers...you guys have the same style.

The Norks
13-09-2005, 19:11:41
:lol: i really must propose to Protein one day. Or at least buy him a pint :D

Funko
14-09-2005, 09:15:39
That's what it's normally like.

This series has been more like.

"Shit that nearly took his head off!"
"He's belted it out of the ground!"

Nav
14-09-2005, 09:23:54
I wasted some time yesterday by waving my little vodafone sponsored flag at the team as they drove by in the parade. Time well spent, still hate cricket though.

Greg W
14-09-2005, 11:14:08
I am one of those people that will happily watch an entire test on tele. Or if I go to the ground, it's to watch the cricket. The beer is secondary to the match. Aka yes, I would still go if there was no beer.

Heathens like Protein are just out for instant gratification. No staying power, no concentration, no idea... ;)

Oerdin
14-09-2005, 11:31:29
I don't even know what a test is nor do I really want to learn.

Sports just don't tend to be much fun to watch and they're better to play or ignore completely.

Drekkus
14-09-2005, 12:38:17
"Ooh, a cracking soft safety shot there, and as the ball very slowly rolls towards the off blind googley side the widget keeper is woken from his deep sleep by the gentle tnok of plastic on elm. In the distance a number thirty two bus, or is it a thirty one, well, some sort of bus slowly meanders past the cricket ground and we all fall back into our deep drunken slumber as the teams return to chatting to each other and milling around doing, well, pretty much nothing. Look, a cloud. A cloud right there in the sky. Will you look at that. A cloud over the green where now the ball chucker is readying himself for the ten minute ceremonial rubbing of the ball on the leg routine before he very slowly prepares himself for gently tossing a ball at his friend who will no doubt softly tap the ball in a direction with an amusing name. The ball will zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Oh, sorry, nodded off there. The ball will no doubt be scooped up by one of the many sleepy gentlemen dressed like supermarket cheesecounter workers and the whole beautiful routine will be repeated endlessly for hours and hours and hours today and for the next few days. Oh how I love this game. zzzzzzzzzz" :lol:

mr.G
14-09-2005, 12:39:20
yaaay some funny schjit, that man has style