PDA

View Full Version : I've been watching stuff on Ancient Rome on the History Channel ...

Koshko
07-09-2005, 07:47:28
I have come to the conclusion that the ancient Romans are easily the craziest most psychopathic and most twistedly sexually deviant people in our World's history.

King_Ghidra
07-09-2005, 08:59:40
maybe if you watched some other programmes on the history channel you would be in a better position to make that kind of statement

Funko
07-09-2005, 09:29:41
It was no worse then than now really was it?

Gary
07-09-2005, 09:38:53
I was thinking you need to ask Laz about these things. He can probably name the individuals involved ;)

The Norks
07-09-2005, 09:41:25
I saw a programme about the Romans and they said that they had just a totally different morality system, we can't even relate to it. The Greeks too- DH & I went to Delos which is an abandoned Greek city that used to be the most prosperous in the Med, and its covered with statues of cocks (some are several feet tall). They worshipped the penis (power and fertility symbol), so much so that if someone died you would leave not flowers but tiny stone cocks at the grave, and have a cock engraved on the gravestone in order to send them safely into the afterlife. It seems crazy in our eyes, but I suppose its all relative, we just attach meanings to things that have no real intrinsic meaning.

Ooh thats deep for nearly ten in the morning. :D

Funko
07-09-2005, 09:43:03
That doesn't seem crazy at all. Different to what we do but not crazy.

If they'd cut off their own cocks and left them at the grave that would have been crazy.

The Norks
07-09-2005, 09:46:47
well I meant crazy in comparison with our own repressed sexual culture, worshipping a giant cock in a temple seems slightly jarring perhaps (although probably more fun than learning hymns). I have a photo of one of the giant cocks somewhere. I think they should put one on that spare plinth in Trafalgar Square.

Funko
07-09-2005, 09:47:18
Can you get more phallic than Nelson's Column?

The Norks
07-09-2005, 09:48:34
yes, replace Nelson with a huge ACTUAL stone cock

Nills Lagerbaak
07-09-2005, 09:53:27
Originally posted by The Norks
well I meant crazy in comparison with our own repressed sexual culture, worshipping a giant cock in a temple seems slightly jarring perhaps (although probably more fun than learning hymns). I have a photo of one of the giant cocks somewhere. I think they should put one on that spare plinth in Trafalgar Square.

the worshipping of cock (lingum) was prevalent in ancient South Indian hindu culture. There were teracotta cocks everywhere!

Anyone re(member) the karma sutra.

The romans certainly didn't have a monopoly on fertility worship. Oh the pagans were pretty big on that sort of thing too...

I love the fact that when a Roman was all orgy'ed out they'd have a tactiacal chunder just so as to continue the excess.

Nills Lagerbaak
07-09-2005, 09:58:50
At least we know what to get Norks for her birthday, but I'd bet she already has a cupboard full of cocks fashioned from a variety of materials. :p

Gary
07-09-2005, 10:00:12
Sounds like an unadmitted obsession with cock to me. Unconvinced it isn't just because it's a cultural thing.

Now norks, that I could understand :)

MOBIUS
07-09-2005, 10:02:00
Cocks everywhere!

Nills Lagerbaak
07-09-2005, 10:06:11
Pussy galore!

(Feel like I need to address the balance)

MOBIUS
07-09-2005, 10:12:17
James Bond Forum!

The Norks
07-09-2005, 10:14:37
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
the worshipping of cock (lingum) was prevalent in ancient South Indian hindu culture. There were teracotta cocks everywhere!

Anyone re(member) the karma sutra.

The romans certainly didn't have a monopoly on fertility worship. Oh the pagans were pretty big on that sort of thing too...

I love the fact that when a Roman was all orgy'ed out they'd have a tactiacal chunder just so as to continue the excess.

yeah I like Hinduism a lot- eat, shag, have great festivals, interesting religious texts that don't tell you what an inherently bad and sinful person you are, great gods . Sigh..

I saw a prog about the Kama Sutra with that guy off The Kumars Sanjeev something or other, and he went to this temple in India that was just incredible- it was totally covered in carvings of sexual scenes based around the teachings of the KS.

Anyway I didnt mean it was weird in itself to worship cocks/fertility etc, just that its bizarrely opposite to modern culture that springs from Victorian colonial values. There's a lot of old English things that stem from fertility rituals, ie corn dollies, maypole dancing etc but they're rapidly dying out.

The Norks
07-09-2005, 10:18:27
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
At least we know what to get Norks for her birthday, but I'd bet she already has a cupboard full of cocks fashioned from a variety of materials. :p

:cute:

I have a cycladic fertility statue in my bathroom which is of Pan- the body of a man, the legs of a goat, and a erect cock you could use as a coat stand. Fantastic!

King_Ghidra
07-09-2005, 10:19:48
how demeaning to minor gods

The Norks
07-09-2005, 10:35:23
if you've got it, flaunt it

Funko
07-09-2005, 10:35:58
Yeah, if someone doesn't hang a coat off it.

The Norks
07-09-2005, 10:39:36
are you saying you wouldnt consdier it flaunting if someone walked around with a coat hanging off their cock?

Funko
07-09-2005, 10:56:46
What type of coat?

protein
07-09-2005, 11:02:10
I think the Aztecs were pretty demented. They were constantly tripping on shrooms and sacrificing each other.

Nills Lagerbaak
07-09-2005, 11:18:32
Oh yeah, the head priest used to wear the skin of his victims as a mask. People used to wish to be sacrificed because violent death was considered the only way to go.

Did anyone see the Astec exhibition? It was amazing.

Greg W
07-09-2005, 11:28:31
Personally, I think that anybody that straps bombs to themselves in order to blow up their "enemies", so that they can go to heaven where they will be waited upon by masses of virgins is pretty fucking demented.

The Norks
07-09-2005, 11:38:41
Originally posted by Funko
What type of coat?

a heavy flak jacket/weighty duffle

Funko
07-09-2005, 11:40:01
Hmm...

I'm not sure. Heavy flack jacket would imply some kind of homo-erotic thing and weighty duffel is a bit close to a flasher's mac isn't it?

Nills Lagerbaak
07-09-2005, 11:43:51
As suit of armour.

Nills Lagerbaak
07-09-2005, 11:44:35
Originally posted by Greg W
Personally, I think that anybody that straps bombs to themselves in order to blow up their "enemies", so that they can go to heaven where they will be waited upon by masses of virgins is pretty fucking demented.

Well, martydom is a pretty old concept....

Gary
07-09-2005, 12:02:58
So's dementia :D

Beta1
07-09-2005, 17:33:35
I think the japanese might win on both counts.

No other nation has vending machines where you can buy schoolgirl's underwear.

And if you've ever worked with one you won't doubt the pyschotic bit.

Koshko
07-09-2005, 20:37:00
Actually the pantie vending machines are now illegal.

Venom
07-09-2005, 20:41:40
That's a god damn crime in and of itself right there.

Beta1
07-09-2005, 20:48:06
Originally posted by Koshko
Actually the pantie vending machines are now illegal.

they still invented them though!

Vincent
07-09-2005, 21:24:28
the world is a safer place now

Gary
07-09-2005, 21:26:27
What ? Now schoolgirls can't buy panties ?

protein
07-09-2005, 22:47:57
I always thought that.

You hear stories of allied soldiers in the war who went on suicide missions for go and the country.

mentalists

MoSe
08-09-2005, 08:58:16
Originally posted by The Norks
I saw a programme about the Romans
I saw Romans.
Too many Romans in my life.

King_Ghidra
08-09-2005, 09:02:12

i don't know, the minute you start to believe in some super being who created the universe and everything in it and exists everywhere in the universe and hears and sees everything, then making a leap of faith to a heaven and martyrdom concept isn't so hard is it?

Nills Lagerbaak
08-09-2005, 09:15:17
totally! If you believe in that shit it must make you lose interest in earthly matters....

I know some harcore christians who short of saying they wanted to die, basically spent most of the day looking forward to the next life.

The Norks
08-09-2005, 09:20:56
you dont tend to get such hardcore nutters in polytheistic faiths

Gary
08-09-2005, 09:41:43
I don't accept that necessarily follows at all. After all if there is a God and heaven then wouldn't you be likely not to want to piss God off by throwing away it's gift of life, and trying to short cut your journey there ? You may find the entrance barred if you do that. Find yourself off to a different place.

And it's believing in continuing existence that helps make a believer feel that what they do while here isn't pointless. So why leave a place where you have a reason to be, before you need to ?

Nills Lagerbaak
08-09-2005, 09:53:49
Yeah, but as we know there are different shades of believer. One who turns to religion as they are too weak to handle the concept of living for the moment without any guarantee of there being something at the end, or the other sort who can believe but don't rely on it as much.

mr.G
08-09-2005, 09:56:19
In Asterix those romans are funny.

I say parsley
parsley in yor ear

Funko
08-09-2005, 09:57:21
It's hard to have a concept of the world without you existing in it/being concious of it because we obviously have and can never experience such a thing.

In fact it's a bit scary.

King_Ghidra
08-09-2005, 10:24:01
Originally posted by Gary
I don't accept that necessarily follows at all. After all if there is a God and heaven then wouldn't you be likely not to want to piss God off by throwing away it's gift of life, and trying to short cut your journey there ? You may find the entrance barred if you do that. Find yourself off to a different place.

And it's believing in continuing existence that helps make a believer feel that what they do while here isn't pointless. So why leave a place where you have a reason to be, before you need to ?

what are you talkng about? we already know there are many people who have a religious view that includes martyrdom as acceptable behaviour according to their god - and if martyrdom is acceptable then youre not throwing away your life are you? are you arguing about some hypothetical religion? read the news, people really are martyring themselves because they have been taught god approves of it, so i really dont understand what you are talking about

i was merely arguing that it wasn't much of a leap of faith from a) believing in god to b) believing that you should do something he says is good, however extreme that may be

MoSe
08-09-2005, 10:29:30
Originally posted by mr.G
In Asterix those romans are funny.

I say parsley
parsley in yor ear

it's laurel, schmartje

mr.G
08-09-2005, 10:30:16
What?

Gary
08-09-2005, 11:39:40
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
what are you talkng about? ... I repeat...Originally posted by Gary
I don't accept that necessarily follows at all....

King_Ghidra
08-09-2005, 12:05:57
yep you repeat. congratulations, you still make no sense.

no one said this was true of all religions or all believers. clearly there are religions that forbid such things, in those cases the belivers would quite naturally not disobey the superbeing(s) they worship

the argument was simple, making that leap of faith from generally acceptable behaviour to generally unacceptable is not so hard when you already believe in something so fantastic and otherworldly as a god concept

Gary
08-09-2005, 12:35:21
I'm sorry that you can't understand me, and so erroneously believe I could ever 'make no sense'.

Probably fair to note that your initial post about this didn't mention 'some' religions. It just mentions that it's no great leap of faith from believing in some super being to making a leap of faith to a martyrdom concept. There was no division indicated there, so implies all believers in God(s).

Koshko
09-09-2005, 01:51:18
This thread as too much thought going into the posts. Stop that.