PDA

View Full Version : Now that's what I call a demo!

Greg W
03-09-2005, 13:36:47
Dungeon Seige II. 1.5 Gig. :eek:

Shining1
04-09-2005, 03:42:32
Better be more than 20 minutes gameplay then...

Sir Penguin
04-09-2005, 05:15:43
Define "gameplay."

SP

Shining1
04-09-2005, 08:27:24
Me push buttons to make the glowing box show cool stuff.

Sir Penguin
04-09-2005, 20:00:22
There's considerably more than 20 minutes' worth of gameplay, but it's basically Diablo II with pretty graphics (read: completely tedious).

SP

Provost Harrison
04-09-2005, 21:58:20
1.5GB? A little excessive for a demo!

Shining1
05-09-2005, 12:36:22
29% and counting. Gods I wish I could have had Broadband 5 years ago... =/

Nav
05-09-2005, 12:50:47
got the demo on a dvd. easiest way me thinks... ;)

(not that I played it or anything... )

Shining1
05-09-2005, 12:58:35
I cannot seem to summon that particular DvD fairy... brute force download will have to do.

51% and counting. Normality will be restored as soon as we are sure what is normal anyway.

King_Ghidra
05-09-2005, 13:05:33
chap at work has an *ahem* advance copy, i shall be giving it a go soon

Shining1
05-09-2005, 15:34:04
Finished the download an hour ago, was still reading that review in Koshko's dice RPG thread...

Shining1
06-09-2005, 14:30:58
It's... interesting.

I'm not surprised to find out that the release is a buggy PoS at the moment. It really looks in so many ways like it's just a half assed Diablo2 clone with a very crappy story and an all star line up of bad voice actors.

The interesting bit is, despite that, it's still really fun!

Sir Penguin
06-09-2005, 15:57:47
Does it shrink to desktop (STD ?) for you whenever the screen mode changes?

I thought it was pretty cool for the first few hours, but eventually every time I would hit the tab key I'd think, "God, when is this fucking level over?" And nevermind when you die just before hitting a teleporter and have to fight your way through all the respawns from the previous teleporter to your corpse.

SP

Shining1
07-09-2005, 03:49:55
Rachel tried it and it flat out crashed three times, I've only had one graphical glitch and one crash, immediately after I'd saved.

Plenty of little weird stuff, like swapping characters and still seeing the equiped items of the first character.

I didn't mind the respawn aspect to it, Pseudo-PowerGamer that I am... you need new low level mobs to level up your secondary stuff - so that a Tank can access the Survival tab, say. Also, I didn't die very often... the demo was pretty easy if you get the pull right.

The quest system seems to have attempted the simplicity and elegance of the World of Warcraft system, but without the style. There's a bit of an information overload with the whole journal structure - too many clicks to get the basic information you need.

I'm thinking that this does look like it could be a very good relaxed multiplayer game. The original dungeon siege, as terrible as it was in so many ways, was still pretty good fun with a group of 4 or so.

Ellipsis
07-09-2005, 15:29:33
I haven't got it to work yet. It crashes every time after the intro.

Gary
08-09-2005, 09:46:31
:mad:

3 attempts to download, over 2 PCs, and it's still failed part way in, each time.

Having tried 2 different PCs I think this problem HAS to be down to BT resetting the link whenever they think it's funny to do so !

Shining1
08-09-2005, 23:42:33
Got a downloader program that lets you pickup where you left off?

(I downloaded it in one go without such a program, of course... =( Might just be a time of day thing?)

zmama
09-09-2005, 03:12:14
I'm having probs downloading it, too.

And I do have a downloader that lets me pickup where it stops...called Firefox

Most likely I will buy the game anyway. Something to play with Vinnie when Argent Dawn is down ;)

Vincent
09-09-2005, 06:15:38
I liked simplicity of DS1 better because it had no story. Yes, it's true, exactly what most prople complained about. All that blablablah quest stories you heard 1000 times before - bah! Hack'n'slay, that's what I want. I want to play, not reading a book.
Blah bad mage guy blah stole ancient artefact bla opened a portal to netherworld bla can be fixed with artefact bla. Thanks

Gary
09-09-2005, 09:34:53
Finally got it, on the PC in the study upstairs, not the living room unfortunately. Now all I need is to find the time to try it out. Not played more than Spider Solitare for ages.

(Yeah, it would be nice to have a freeware app for resuming when downloading, but I don't. And although I didn't check if the souce address was available, it looked like one had to hit the button for a normal download anyway.)

Gary
09-09-2005, 09:40:35
Might just be a time of day thing

Unlikely, the PC keeps losing contact with the Net at random times. Sometimes 3 or 4 times a day, at others it'll go a week without a problem.

I used to blame one particular app that used Net access a lot, and tried stopping running it, but that just made the problem less frequent.

The fact that the other PC suffers similarly (although I think possibly less severely) does suggest the problem is probably outside of my house.

Shining1
09-09-2005, 15:47:14
Originally posted by Vincent
I liked simplicity of DS1 better because it had no story. Yes, it's true, exactly what most prople complained about. All that blablablah quest stories you heard 1000 times before - bah! Hack'n'slay, that's what I want. I want to play, not reading a book.
Blah bad mage guy blah stole ancient artefact bla opened a portal to netherworld bla can be fixed with artefact bla. Thanks

Quote for great justice!

This one doesn't *quite* achieve that glorious Gauntlet stat of hack and slash, but it's getting closer. There is a bit too much running around looking for secondary quests at times, although nothing really seems to come of that and I suspect it's mostly there just to cater to dorks like me.

I complained about DS1 because along with no story it had virtually no game. Unless you played the healer for your group, and then there was slightly too much game (since you had to be getting as much offense in as possible without letting anyone die, or else you got well behind the level needed for that zone...)

Anyway none of that in this one - there are some spectacular skills and the talent trees really make a cool difference.

Sir Penguin
09-09-2005, 17:25:25
In other news, the Age of Empires 3 demo came out today, and clocks in at a piddly little 350 MB. :)

SP

Shining1
10-09-2005, 05:04:23
If there's boar luring in it, I'm not touching it.

Vincent
10-09-2005, 06:29:58
Originally posted by Shining1
[BI complained about DS1 because along with no story it had virtually no game. [/B]
Yeah, the gameplay is much better now. Now get rid of the story and that's DS3!

I like hack and slay games, I won't play it every evening and I don't want to start each gaming session by reading the quest log. There are a lot of good RPG games around. I need a simple game that can be started and continued and saved anytime. There are a few interesting stories in RPG left anyway, it's all deja vu.

JM^3
10-09-2005, 08:46:12
just bought DS2

seems cool, but has some bugs..

probably is best played 6 man PC or single player (Two person, with henchies gets a little hard, because you can'y pause)

jM

Shining1
10-09-2005, 08:58:08
There are a few interesting stories in RPG left anyway, it's all deja vu.

This is very true, although DS2 is *disgusting* for story. They steal from absolutely everywhere else, with no unified vision and some of the crappiest voice acting since, well, Dungeon Siege.

It's a microsoft + Chris Taylor game, which means a good story is about the last thing you can expect. But still... geez!

Ellipsis
10-09-2005, 16:29:35
And like the idiot that I am, I bought the game and get the same problems I did in the demo.

After the intro, it freezes when a group of people are running out of that flying thing. Happens every time, and of course nobody else is experiencing the same problem, so no help to be found.

Shining1
11-09-2005, 07:22:49
If you're on Nvidia, I hear that backdating your drivers to the 71.xx instead of the 77.xx stuff helps.

That's all I've got, tho.

Ellipsis
11-09-2005, 14:58:54
Thanks, but it's ATI.

Sometimes I don't even get the opening menu, and clicking past the Gas Powered Games logo is a no-no.