PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking at some hot graphix (not)

Nills Lagerbaak
02-09-2005, 14:09:40
I am looking at getting a geForce FX 5600 (256mb) for the paltry sum of 10.

What do I need to be aware of? It needs its own power supply (which I guess is the same that goes on to the DVD burner). Does it just fit into a slot on the motherboard?

Also I recently bought the DVD burner, can you think of any advantage of having my old CDRW and the DVD RW connected to the computer at the same time?

Thanks a million!

Sir Penguin
02-09-2005, 15:54:14
It should fit into a slot on your motherboard, if your computer isn't ancient or cheap. Open up the case and find your video card (it's the one you plug your monitor into, duh). If it's in a brown slot about 4" long, then you're good. If it's in a white slot, or if there isn't a full-sized card (in which case it's on the motherboard, which might be some hassle), look for a the brown slot. Normally, it's above the white slots, and offset a bit so you can't fit a non-graphics card into it.

That's assuming the 5600 is an AGP card, which most (if not all) are. I'm not sure that there are PCI or PCIe (PCI Express) versions of the 5600, but it's worth checking. If it's an AGP card, it will fit into the brown slot. If it's a PCI card, it will fit in a white slot. If it's PCIe, it needs a PCIe slot that can only be found on the most recent motherboards.

The only value in having two optical drives is that you can burn discs directly from one to the other (one step) instead of having to rip the source disc to the hard drive and burning it to the blank (two steps). Also, the CD writer might be a little faster with CDs than the DVD writer. Personally, I don't think either is worth the hassle of dealing with two drives. Time is a renewable resource.

SP

Sir Penguin
02-09-2005, 15:56:18
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
It should fit into a slot on your motherboard, if your computer isn't ancient or cheap. Open up the case and find your video card (it's the one you plug your monitor into, duh). If it's in a brown slot about 4" long, then you're good. If it's in a white slot, or if there isn't a full-sized card (in which case it's on the motherboard, which might be some hassle), look for a the brown slot. Normally, it's above the white slots, and offset a bit so you can't fit a non-graphics card into it.

That's assuming the 5600 is an AGP card, which most (if not all) are. I'm not sure that there are PCI or PCIe (PCI Express) versions of the 5600, but it's worth checking. If it's an AGP card, it will fit into the brown slot. If it's a PCI card, it will fit in a white slot. If it's PCIe, which is extremely unlikely for such an old cadr, it needs a PCIe slot that can only be found on the most recent motherboards.

The only value in having two optical drives is that you can burn discs directly from one to the other (one step) instead of having to rip the source disc to the hard drive and burning it to the blank (two steps). Also, the CD writer might be a little faster with CDs than the DVD writer. Personally, I don't think either is worth the hassle of dealing with two drives. Time is a renewable resource.

SP

Sir Penguin
02-09-2005, 15:56:46
Motherfucker!

My edit had a spelling mistake, too. :tizzy:

SP

Nills Lagerbaak
02-09-2005, 16:24:07
Ho ho, that happened to me....once...

Anyway thanks for that, it is an AGP card and my mother board currently houses a seperate Geforce 5000 128 Mb card, so I can't see any conflict.

The only thing I wonder about now is, is it really worth bothering for such a measly upgrade, but then it is a good price, and the new card needs a seperate power supply AND FAN! That's gotta be worth risking my computer for alone....

Sir Penguin
02-09-2005, 18:30:03
For £10? Shit yeah, if you're going to use it. Although the entire FX line was pretty craptastic. If it's one of those ones with a bigass fan that takes up a whole PCI slot, it might be rather loud, too.

SP

Sir Penguin
02-09-2005, 18:36:32
Actually, I take that back. Is there such thing as a Geforce FX 5000? Google says that the FX 5600 isn't much better than the FX 5200. I don't know how much better it is in real numbers, but unless you really need better 3D graphics, probably not £10 better.

SP

Cruddy
03-09-2005, 21:47:02
A 5500 is better than no 3D graphics at all, but it really crawls on most hectic 3D releases (Far Cry etc).

10 quid is pretty cheap for one though - retail they're still about 40 quid. Which is silly when you can get an ATI 9550 (MUCH better) for about 40 quid too.

Which is the reason it's going for a tenner.