PDA

View Full Version : Career Advice

MattHiggs
01-09-2005, 22:27:22
The missus is currently working part-time whilst the little one isn't at school yet. She works 3 evenings a week, which is a bit of a ball-ache because I only really get to see her at weekends.

She's interested in working full time during the day but can't continue her veterinary course due to the fact she only got paid 50 per week and the training is very, very long hours.

She's interested in 'interior design'

Anyone here know any interior designers? Is the industry hard to get into? Are there any sorts of formal qualification?

I said I'd look into it for her, and here I am :D

Debaser
01-09-2005, 22:37:30
There are loads of different courses available, from full time BAs, right through to do-from-home type courses that don't really get you a proper qualification, but give you a pretty good foundation if you've never done anything arty/fashiony/designy before.

Type "Interior design course" and where you live into Google and I'm sure it'll come up with loads of options.

protein
01-09-2005, 23:08:11
I imagine there are design packages you have to learn, a bit of history, construction techniques etc.

RedFred
02-09-2005, 20:43:38
My mother is an interior designer. She used to have her own shop, but now she shares with another designer as she inches toward retirement.

I'd tell you all about it, but sadly only my sisters were blessed with my mother's art gene. It seems to involve a lot more sewing and stuff, and a lot less just picking out colours, than I would have guessed.

Gary
02-09-2005, 20:51:56
Surely one can sub-contract the skills one isn't so good at ?

The Norks
03-09-2005, 19:45:26
a lot of it means understanding building techniques, lighting concepts, painting tecniques etc. Its quite technical, like graphic design, and links into architecture. A lot of people think they'll be able to swan about in a Lawrence Lewellyn-Bowen stylee talking about fabrics and textures but a lot of it is almost mathematical and sourcing goods and contractors is a nightmare because its so competitive. This is what I was told when I had mates studying it. To be taken seriously you're looking at a degree or similar, but you can go down a peg to 'stylist' which is the swooshing around talking about feng shui and reorganising type thing, a bit like the house doctor. You don't need so much much qualification for that but you have to have reliable subcontractors and a good eye.

JM^3
03-09-2005, 19:54:56
the ones who make money are the ones who get contracts to design the rooms in hotels and the like

there are classes that can be taken and the like

JM

Cruddy
03-09-2005, 22:11:16
If she wants to be commercially successful at it, she'd better know how to use a spreadsheet to "tweak" figures and designs.

It's so much easier to talk to finance people if they've got firm figures to read, rather than a one line "estimated cost".

I'm not saying she shouldn't estimate, but with design it's very easy to have your head in the clouds. Keep her feet on the ground... but if she really feels she can be a success at it, back her all the way.

Even if she's wrong, you'll both learn a lot from the attempt. It could lead into design in other areas. Design is rewarding but very demanding.

Interior designers have to understand the labour involved in bringing to life their ideas.

mr.G
03-09-2005, 22:17:00
Interior designers don't make money the first years of their career, don't do that kinda work for money but because it gives you pleasure and fulfillment.

If you need money, rob a bank

MattHiggs
04-09-2005, 10:57:27
Thanks for all the info.

I had no idea it was actually so technical, but it's quite obvious if you think about it.

Guess we'll have to wait another two years until Ben is in school. :(

Alexander's Horse
04-09-2005, 11:01:17
wouldn't something more practical that brings in cash be better in the short term?

MattHiggs
04-09-2005, 11:18:23
She works in reatil at the moment, and she's far too good for it - which really gets me down.

She is looking at a number of things at the moment. Things ranging from care work to interior design :)

Walrus Feeder
04-09-2005, 13:52:39
I actually did a Degree in Interior, graduating in 2000 with a 2:2 but have not followed it up since because I thought the course was poor and I didn't really learn a lot. Also I only picked the course when I was 19 and knew little about careers etc at the time! From what i've heard only a few from my course have gone on to do it. There is the need in todays job market to know AutoCad Design & Drafting which you can evening courses in but it can be quite tricky and you need to use it all the time to get good at it.

MattHiggs
04-09-2005, 14:04:19
Hmm, interesting.

I know the college I work at doesn't do any CAD courses but I'm sure there will be one in the area. I'll look into that.