PDA

View Full Version : Photoshopped pics from the w/e (big images)

Beta1
30-08-2005, 13:34:22
Was wandering around oxfordshire this bankholiday, took a few pics and photoshopped them as the lighting wasn't good enough for decent landscapes.

http://www.acolyte.boltblue.com/manipulated/picture1.jpg

The church at clifton hampden

http://www.acolyte.boltblue.com/manipulated/picture2.jpg

My girlf's sister's boyf's father's farmhouse.

Drekkus
30-08-2005, 13:46:44
What did you do with photoshop? They almost look like paintings now.

Gary
30-08-2005, 13:52:57
Wow ! Want !

Beta1
30-08-2005, 14:13:29
Been working on my photoshop/photography a lot recently.

Process was similar for both although in the first one I replaced a boring blue sky with a nicer sky from another photo first (straight cut and paste job) and cloned out a bright red car infront of the church and the heads of a couple of walkers who wandered into shot.

Basic picture-> painting process (in photoshop but you could do it in PSP or the GIMP in a similar way)

Do usual levels/curves stuff to get colours bright and correct
clone background image to new layer, desaturise and invert.
Use find edges on the new layer to get grey "edges" of areas of colour, then use levels or brightness contrast to get the lines to almost pure black white. Took a bit of playing around with to get enough of the outlines in without too much detail lost.

This should leave you with a layer that looks a bit like a pencil drawing of the original scene, if you then select the highlights (using color select) and then clear, you get a transparent background on that layer with just the lines left.

Go back to the background layer and run the fresco filter over it (may have to play with the settings a bit here).

Use brightness/contrast on the two layers seperately to get the colours the way you want them, a bit of selective tweaking of the highlights/midtones may also help.

Then set the lines layer blend mode to vivid/hard (although try the others as they sometimes look better) and flatten the image.

And thats it.

Courtesy of a great book called "creative digital photography"

Beta1
30-08-2005, 14:14:40
I forgot - on the upper one I ran the smudge/blur tools over the sky as the find edges made it a bit grainy. you can see ont he tree on the top left where I slightly ran into the green (Doh! - will fix that tonight)

Venom
30-08-2005, 14:40:21
So basically those things aren't real.

Lurker the Seconder
30-08-2005, 14:41:18
Originally posted by Beta1
Been working on my photoshop/photography a lot recently.

Process was similar for both although in the first one I replaced a boring blue sky with a nicer sky from another photo first (straight cut and paste job) and cloned out a bright red car infront of the church and the heads of a couple of walkers who wandered into shot.

Basic picture-> painting process (in photoshop but you could do it in PSP or the GIMP in a similar way)

Do usual levels/curves stuff to get colours bright and correct
clone background image to new layer, desaturise and invert.
Use find edges on the new layer to get grey "edges" of areas of colour, then use levels or brightness contrast to get the lines to almost pure black white. Took a bit of playing around with to get enough of the outlines in without too much detail lost.

This should leave you with a layer that looks a bit like a pencil drawing of the original scene, if you then select the highlights (using color select) and then clear, you get a transparent background on that layer with just the lines left.

Go back to the background layer and run the fresco filter over it (may have to play with the settings a bit here).

Use brightness/contrast on the two layers seperately to get the colours the way you want them, a bit of selective tweaking of the highlights/midtones may also help.

Then set the lines layer blend mode to vivid/hard (although try the others as they sometimes look better) and flatten the image.

And thats it.

Courtesy of a great book called "creative digital photography" I'll second that one

Beta1
30-08-2005, 15:14:01
"lurker the seconder"? :hmm:

Lurker the Seconder
30-08-2005, 15:17:35
you called?

Tizzy
30-08-2005, 15:20:39
...to say I love you.....

Lurker the Seconder
30-08-2005, 15:21:23
HELLO..............

Tizzy
30-08-2005, 15:22:06
...is it me you're looking for?

King_Ghidra
31-08-2005, 18:22:12
Beta's pictures resemble the kind of jigsaws my parents used to buy - five hundred pieces, three hundred of them leaves

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
31-08-2005, 21:02:30
Where did they go?