PDA

View Full Version : I bonked.

Oerdin
27-08-2005, 18:23:01
So yesterday I took the police officer's exam and passed with flying colors so I was feeling good and this morning I took the physical test which consists of a 500 yard obstical course. I've always done well on physical tests and although I didn't do any training for this one I felt confident I'd pass with out any trouble. Last night I had a bit of trouble sleeping so I only got about 4 hours sleep then I made sure to be there right at 6am to start the test. I didn't eat any breakfest because I didn't want to cramp up while sprinting and I think that was a big mistake because my name didn't get called until 9:30 or so and by then I was starving.

The course consists of ducking under three low bars, then climbing two jungle gym ladders which are 6 ft tall, followed by a sprinting section, four flights of stars down, four flights of stairs up (and you have to step on every stair no skipping stairs), sprinting around cones, a 100 yard dash, climbing over three walls (each higher then the one before, carrying a 150 lb dummy 25 yards, then another 100 yard dash. You have to wear this bulky bullet proof vest the whole time and you have 3 minutes & 30 seconds to finish it.

At the top of the stairs he average person has used 1 minute 15 seconds and I got there 1 minute 8 second so I was doing well but I was getting very winded. I decided to push myself harder through the salom and the 100 yard dash to the point I was dead tired and breathing hard when I got to the first wall. It took all my strength but I climbed over the first two walls (they're made of smooth polished wood so you can't get any foot hold and must use all upper body strength or swing a foot up to pull yourself over). I could hardly breath and my arms were aching by the third one but I still almost got over on the third one though I couldn't seem to get my heel on the top of the wall. I was doing very good on time but I just didn't get over that third wall because I spent all my energy on the first two walls. I've never failed a test like this before. :(

The training officer told me 40%-45% of the people fail the test and not to worry. There are training classes twice a week where people practice the course in order to get better times and I can take it again next month but it slows me down by one month for entering the academy. I've decided I'm going to take a crash diet and excersise five days per week for the next month so I can pass the test next time. If I'd made it over the third wall all I had left to do was carry the dummy (no problem there) and the final sprint and I had so much time I would have made it. I just need to lose some weight and practice pulling myself over 6 ft walls. :gasmaske:

Oerdin
27-08-2005, 18:25:16
In the Army I always did well and passed all the PT tests normally to SOF standard. I guess in the last 7 months I've just been sitting on my ass and drinking to much so now I'm a flabby weezy bastard. I need to lose that extra 15lbs and practic sprints & pull ups for the next month.

mr.G
27-08-2005, 18:35:52
so you are a failure

MOBIUS
27-08-2005, 18:43:25
I almost ran a mile at the gym yesterday but it was getting too hard so I stopped...:cute:

Beta1
27-08-2005, 19:22:51
chill out man,

just go and practise the walls and pace yourself next time.

Sounds like you would have cruised it if it wasn't for the walls.

Lazarus and the Gimp
27-08-2005, 20:24:42
I thought that to join the police you had to be fat and unfit?

alsieboo
27-08-2005, 20:55:11
Yeah, what Beta said, sometimes these things happen, and I'm sure next time you'll do great :)

Oerdin
27-08-2005, 23:45:39
Originally posted by mr.G
so you are a failure

Yeah, they told me I could try again next month and they even do free training seasons where they have people run the course with officers from the recruiting department who show you how to do the course faster and how to get over the walls easier. They even said that as long as I complete the background check paper work on time (all 60 or so pages of it) I should still enter the academy the same time as everyone else if I pass the course next month.

It isn't as bad as I thought.

MOBIUS
27-08-2005, 23:46:44
They say you're a better driver if you pass your test second time around...

Not that I would know, passing first time around...:p

Oerdin
27-08-2005, 23:46:47
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
I thought that to join the police you had to be fat and unfit?

No that is after you get hired. They want to start with only skinny in shape people so they can show how disasterous sitting in a car all day eating donuts is to your body.

MDA
28-08-2005, 07:30:13
a supersize me life, for 30 years straight

You'll do fine next time. I can tell by how pissed you are with yourself. :)

Nav
28-08-2005, 13:28:44
Over in this country we have police on cycles, they look quite fit (maybe because they've got nowhere to keep the donuts..)

I went on a run this morning, did part of it up a hill called Merry Hill (believe me its not Merry running up it). Only had a banana for breakfast and the sun was beating down. Nice.

My advice would be to reduce the carbs a bit, but don't cut out completely (ie salads for lunch!). You should easily be able to lose a few pounds for next time.. ;)

Oh and eat a couple of bananas for breakfast next time before the doing the physical test.

Kitsuki
28-08-2005, 13:55:29
Exercising every day isnt a great idea - every second day is a better plan - do 2-2.5 hours of cardio-vascular and you'll be fitter in no time.

Nav
28-08-2005, 14:11:04
no an hour would be better (at first at least), no point overdoing it.

Hell I don't think I've ever done 2-2.5 hours of cardiovascular!

protein
28-08-2005, 14:36:35
You also don't want to go on a crash diet. You'll lose energy if anything. Just eat the right things.

RedFred
28-08-2005, 15:36:38
Ha! I routinely do 2-2.5 hours of cardio!

I agree with protein. Carbs are energy, the last thing you want to do is mess with that.

Sounds like more of a pacing/technique issue than a physical fitness issue. Work on the walls and improve your cardio a bit and you'll be fine.

Nav
29-08-2005, 14:34:25
That much cardio is not necessary (unless you plan on running a marathon or something!). Just to get fit 45 mins at time is good. No point overdoing it.

MoSe
29-08-2005, 14:44:42
Originally posted by Oerdin
I guess in the last 7 months I've just been sitting on my ass and drinking to much so now I'm a flabby weezy bastard. I need to lose that extra 15lbs
know what?
I think you drink too much!
;)

TauCeti@Japan
29-08-2005, 15:01:16
Originally posted by Nav
That much cardio is not necessary (unless you plan on running a marathon or something!). I believe RedFred runs marathons regularly.

Venom
29-08-2005, 15:33:15
LOSER!!!!!

Lurker the Second
29-08-2005, 15:40:58
The problem is you haven't been drinking enough beer. Beer is a magical potion that gives you the power to do anything (you don't think Superman could just fly on his own, do you?), but you have to drink a whole lot before it takes effect. As much as you think you've been drinking, it's just not enough.

So quit sulking, head to the nearest bar and get that morning order in.

BigGameHunter
29-08-2005, 15:44:07
Remind me to rob banks on your beat.

KH of the North
29-08-2005, 17:26:51
Don't worry, Oerdin.

Sounds like you can get back into shape pretty easily, plus it sounds like you just overran yourself (a smarter pace would have let you complete the course in time).

Just start eating right, and run 3 times a week. Some pullups 3-4 times a week wouldn't hurt either.

Should be more than enough to rock out the test next time.

Venom
29-08-2005, 17:39:34
Taking fitness advice from internet posters. :lol:

MoSe
29-08-2005, 17:50:07
better than virtual sex with a fat hairy balding male Britney Spears
:D

Cruddy
30-08-2005, 22:29:27
You've got a month for your preparation - peak at the end, not a week from now.

And you want to have got plenty of rest before the next one - I think that's where you really screwed up.

Oerdin
31-08-2005, 03:29:02
Yesterday I went on an eight mile jog. Well, jogged about 5 and walked 3 but still 8 miles total. Today I spent an hour swimming laps in the community pool and I was dog tired after about 40 minutes. Slowed down but kept it up for another 20.

Tomorrow I think I'll do interval training at the local high school track then go to the gym. I need to work on my upper body strength so I can make it over that third wall.

BTW I restarted atkins and am now in my second day. No alcohol and no carbs for a month though the night before the test I'll carb up and I'll take NAV's advice about the banana the morning of the test.

notyoueither
31-08-2005, 04:08:34
HK is gonna want to rip you a new asshole.

Oerdin
31-08-2005, 06:53:17
Originally posted by Cruddy
You've got a month for your preparation - peak at the end, not a week from now.

And you want to have got plenty of rest before the next one - I think that's where you really screwed up.

Yeah, I think you're right. Missing sleep then skipping breakfest was not the way to start on the right footing.

Funko
31-08-2005, 09:11:44
You're doing loads of exercise and cutting out carbs? :eek: Are you mental?

Oerdin
31-08-2005, 09:40:45
Carnivores seem to do just fine on low carb diets. ;)

Funko
31-08-2005, 09:41:54
Why exactly are you cutting out the carbs? The extra exercise will cut weight off anyway but you need to be fit and healthy rather than thin for the test right?

Nav
31-08-2005, 09:45:25
no don't cut out. Possibly reduce them a bit if you eat a lot of bread, pasta, rice etc. Obviously you should have carbs before any intensive training.

Oerdin
31-08-2005, 10:09:54
Hmm, maybe the south beach diet then instead of atkins. That would mean cutting out sugars, starchs, and processed grains though whole grains would be allowed as would things like spinach, low sugar fruits (like bananas or avacado), nuts, and other such things.

Either way a day or two before the test I'll start carbing up.

Funko
31-08-2005, 10:43:42
Why do a crazy fad diet at all? Why not just eat healthily and do the exercise?

MoSe
31-08-2005, 10:48:22
I think you're CRAZY to follow mad fad diets you take off the shelves.

If you wanna DIY reduce intake a bit and eat healthier (i.e. no junk food grease & fats and no useless calories read alcohol) that's OK.
If you wanna go further and go on a regime seriously altering the balance of your nutrients assumption, GO SEE A DOCTOR/PROFESSIONALDIETIST and get a diet suited and customised on your personal situation and objectives.
Otherwise you'd be imho just one of the thousands autolesionistic assholes of the modern times...

BTW, do you know that CARBS YIELD EXACTLY THE SAME CALORIES AS PROTEINS DO, that is 4cal/g???
Thus cutting carbs and substituting them with proteins DOES NOT HELP YOU LOSIONG WEIGHT IN ANY WAY...

that's my free advice anyway ;) :)

Oerdin
31-08-2005, 11:00:52
Originally posted by Funko
Why do a crazy fad diet at all? Why not just eat healthily and do the exercise?

To lose weight faster?

Funko
31-08-2005, 11:01:53
I thought the aim was to get fitter/stronger.

Oerdin
31-08-2005, 11:04:37
Originally posted by MoSe

BTW, do you know that CARBS YIELD EXACTLY THE SAME CALORIES AS PROTEINS DO, that is 4cal/g???
Thus cutting carbs and substituting them with proteins DOES NOT HELP YOU LOSIONG WEIGHT IN ANY WAY...

A large body of scientific research says you are wrong. It's been shown that low carb diets actually do result in more weight lose faster then an equal amount of calories in in a noncontrolled carb diet. Sorry mate but for once I have science on my side. ;)

Oerdin
31-08-2005, 11:05:33
Originally posted by Funko
I thought the aim was to get fitter/stronger.

The aim is to get over the third wall so getting strong helps but so does having to pull less weight up the wall. ;)

Nav
31-08-2005, 11:09:18
Don't take advice from Mose and Funko. :D

Funko
31-08-2005, 11:15:03
Even though Nav reiterrated what I said.

MDA
31-08-2005, 12:32:16
Don't know much about South Beach, but Atkins is dangerous, period.

HK is going to take a pound of flesh out of your ass, so it will be easier to pull yourself over the wall.

MoSe
31-08-2005, 12:38:52
A large body of scientific research says you are wrong. It's been shown that low carb diets actually do result in more weight lose faster then an equal amount of calories in in a noncontrolled carb diet. Sorry mate but for once I have science on my side. ;)

a large body of scientifice research ALLEGES that.
It's been shown, and it's also been disputed by an even larger body.

Of course I had not access to direct sources, but just read it in nutrition-oriented news, so it's 2nd hand info and possibily biased.

The mainstream opinion in all scientific-based nutrional info I read it's thast the HEALTHIEST diet (and here "diet" means just "way of eating", "nutritional habits/regime", not necessarily hypocaloric) is the Mediterranean one, which as a rule of thumb prescribes 60% of the total calories intake form carbs, 30% from protides and 10% from fats.
To lose weight, i.e. for an hypocaloric diet, just reduce in proportion the overall amount, keeping the above ratio intact.

Intervening/meddling in more depth and detail on specific metabolic processes (beyond the basic energy input-output balance) might sure sound more scientific and obtain faster weight loss rates, but AFAIK the more such diets prescribe an unbalanced assumption of nutritional elements, the more they damage your health along making you lose weight fast

MoSe
31-08-2005, 12:41:46
Originally posted by Nav
Don't take advice from Mose and Funko. :D

well, at least don't take EXAMPLE from me! :lol:

the fact that I don't PRACTICE what I suggest, doesn't mean it's not valid :cute:

Funko
31-08-2005, 12:42:51
Exactly.

Anyway I eat very healthily, I just don't get any exercise 'cause I'm really lazy. :D

MoSe
31-08-2005, 12:54:48
The aim is to get over the third wall so getting strong helps but so does having to pull less weight up the wall. ;)

Out of my very limited experience, I can confirm that as far as raising your own body up goes, the power/weight ratio is the parameter to optimise.
Which is often easier to obtain by reducing the divider term without compromising the above term :D

as I said elsewhere, at the age of ~21 I lost 10kg in one month, from 72kg to 62 (height 5'10"), and then I could easily do one-arm pullups. I remember how I could easily climb up to a 10ft balcony (sweet memories, Romeo! :coolgrin: :cute: ) only clinging to a narrow doorframe.
but I followed a crazy DYI zero-carbs zero-fats diet, nude grilled steaks and lettuce, and I had got skin and bones and other non negligible problems from it

Nav
31-08-2005, 12:55:27
No excuses, you need to get in training for the USUK v Holland match. ;)

MoSe
31-08-2005, 12:57:34
X-bar!

I mean- X-post! :lol:

Nav
31-08-2005, 12:58:22
you too soldier!

We can pretend you're british

MoSe
31-08-2005, 13:20:18
ROTFLMAO!!!

I'm too Schmjart en crazij to not be Dutch tho ;)
besides, Bas speaks italian

Funko
31-08-2005, 14:17:55
Originally posted by Nav
No excuses, you need to get in training for the USUK v Holland match. ;)

I know.

Anyone want a kick around this Sunday?

Venom
31-08-2005, 14:24:11
Not to change the subject, but is Oerdin English? If not, he's trying hard to become British. And I thought skater posers were tools.