PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Meth Archaeology

King_Ghidra
24-08-2005, 13:29:36
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/archives/2005/08/24/scoring_points.html

By James Sturcke / USA 09:21am

It’s enough to make you wonder what you’ve been smoking. From Arkansas comes news that police on drug busts have repeatedly uncovered large stashes of … native American arrowheads.

The improbably named Sheriff Pat Garrett has, it appears, come to expect to find the spoils of “head hunters” whenever he goes on methamphetamine, or crystal meth, raids in White County.

"I noticed it when I first started. It just seemed there were always Indian arrowheads and I couldn't figure it out," Mr Garrett told the Associated Press.

His theory is that that the time consuming and methodical search for arrowheads on farmland and in river beds appeals to methamphetamine addicts.

"You get kind of wired on that stuff and you need to have something to do," said Tony Young, who was in the White County jail this week on methamphetamine-related charges.

Young, 36, sold his arrowhead collection to a local dealer for $1,250 (£695) - enough to pay for a defence lawyer.

"You just get to walking and looking at the ground," Young said. "You get to looking and an arrowhead catches your eye. The strangest things you find out there is other dopeheads," he said, adding that drug dealers and users often trade the arrowheads among themselves.

Meth was originally used by long-distance truckers to help them stay awake and has become popular among US clubbers and those embarking on all-night sex sessions.

The smoking and injecting of meth is has become a significant problem for authorities in rural states. More than 80% of inmates in one Indiana county are behind bars for meth-related crimes. Among the symptoms is "meth mouth", which causes users to lose all their teeth, sometimes in a few months.

The spread of meth has led to the growth of websites promoting the drug and others warning about its dangers “in a fun, interactive learning environment”. Some sites show photos of the damage meth purportedly does to addicts’ looks.

Back in Arkansas, head hunters may be threatening the integrity of archaeological sites, said Arkansas state archaeologist Ann Early. "It is very troubling for a variety of reasons that the culture of meth use has embraced the idea of collecting relics," Ms Early said.

MDA
24-08-2005, 13:57:58
really strange

Venom
24-08-2005, 14:18:52
You know Indiana Jones was on Crystal Meth.

Drekkus
24-08-2005, 14:46:51
I did not know that. Please tell me more.

Venom
24-08-2005, 14:56:08
Henry Jones Jr was on Crystal Meth.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
24-08-2005, 17:00:48
Schliemann invented meth.

Drekkus
25-08-2005, 12:29:14
Originally posted by Venom
Henry Jones Jr was on Crystal Meth. Is she aware of that?

protein
25-08-2005, 13:11:19
It's good to see that speed freaks are doing something useful with their time.

Venom
25-08-2005, 13:16:11
Next up....Geology.

protein
25-08-2005, 13:20:50
basket weaving :lol:

BigGameHunter
29-08-2005, 02:08:57
Sounds like the perfect Litter Patrol Battalion in the New BGH Regime (coming soon!).

Lazarus and the Gimp
29-08-2005, 08:53:50
It would probably make for an interesting episode of "Time Team".