PDA

View Full Version : Another Free Game of the Week - Warzone 2100

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
19-08-2005, 20:39:04
Yes, that's right, Warzone 2100. What? Never heard of it? That's not surprising, as it was not very popular for some unknown reason.

Originally produced by Pumpkin Studios and published by Eidos (I think - this is all from memory), Warzone 2100 was one of the first RTS games that featured a 3D scalable rotateable playing area.

General idea of the game is pretty straightforward - you explore the map, build units and defenses, gather resources, and try to beat your opponents.

It's been releases as a full open source project, and fans snapped it up, compiled it, fixed bugs and it works well. The biggest drawback is that the between mission (and inter-mission) videos don't play due to being in a proprietary format, which detracts from some of the atmosphere of the game, and also makes it a tad difficult to figure out what you're supposed to do.

To make up for that, the multiplayer mode (up to eight CPU or human players) is fully functional, with a ton of configuration options and downloadable extra maps to use.

This would have to be one of my top 5 games owned and played, and gets dusted off every now and again and reinstalled (I still have my originals).

Here's yer link: http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2909

protein
20-08-2005, 02:04:35
kay, i am giving it a go

if i don't understand it when i am drunk i won't enjoy itdk