PDA

View Full Version : Bands that you kind of missed when they became popular...

Greg W
19-08-2005, 16:50:29
..but discovered (much?) later. And it'd have to be bands that you were around when they became popular, not just really old stuff that you discovered later. For instance...

Green Day. I heard a lot of their songs on the radio over the last 10 years, but never bought an album. Finally went out and bought International Superhits cos I liked a few of the songs. When I played it, I realised that I knew most of the songs, and liked pretty much all of them. So I have now started collecting their CDs.

Biggest band I kinda missed?

Nirvana. Liked their music, but up until 2 weeks ago, never bought an album. Now I have started collecting them (not that there's a lot of them, bootlegs aside).

To that list I could also add The Offspring, and possibly even U2 (I didn't pick up an album of theirs until the early 90's).

self biased
20-08-2005, 03:48:59
the offspring are terrible. that guy can't sing for shit.

Diss
20-08-2005, 09:33:47
Nirvana for me as well. I was kind of turned off by the smells like teen spirit fad. I hate when things are that popular (and overplayed on the radio). I really didn't buy any of their albums until after their next album came out. It wasn't as big a success commercially I don't think. But I enjoyed songs such as rape me. Dumb is pretty good as well. Few other good songs on there as well.

I can't say that about the Offpsring. I did buy the Smash (I think that's the correct title) shortly after they became popular. I even went to their concert when they came to the boathouse in Norfold, VA. And I bought their next 2 albums as well. But I noticed a clear decline in quality. So I didn't buy anymore. And I'm kind of bored with them now days. They are kind of a fad band, and their songs don't hold up that well over time. But I still listen to them occasionally.

Mr. Bas
20-08-2005, 12:26:14
Same with me for Nirvana, and most other grunge bands actually. I was a bit too young to appreciate music like that when they broke through in the early nineties, and although I obviously knew them, I'd only started to really like them in the late nineties.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
20-08-2005, 12:33:39
I truly would have loved to see The Velvet Underground perform, preferably with Nico, but I could survive seeing them without her too.

The Cale/Morrison/Tucker/Reed line up.

And Roxy Music with Brian Eno- especially at their gig at The Rainbow, supporting David Bowie.

The Norks
20-08-2005, 12:38:06
hmm...I liked Nirvana when they came out, and now I think they're shit.

devilmunchkin
21-08-2005, 07:47:56
i missed Nirvana too
Metallica as well (but i stll to this day dislike anythign past Load)
Depeche mode

Lazarus and the Gimp
21-08-2005, 17:29:21
I didn't get into The Smiths until about 1989- after they'd split.

Walrus Feeder
21-08-2005, 20:44:27
REM for me. Throughout the 90's I would always hear their chart topping hits on the radio such as 'Shiny Happy People', 'Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite', 'Man on the Moon', and 'Everybody Hurts'. I couldn't really stand listening to these though, but somehow found myself buying their less commercial albums for a few quid. The like of 'New Adventures in Hi Fi', 'Monster' and 'Document' were really good though and contained good songs like 'The One I Love', 'What's The Frequency Kenneth?' and 'E-Bow The Letter' a duet with Patti Smith.

Debaser
21-08-2005, 21:47:13
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
I didn't get into The Smiths until about 1989- after they'd split.

I didn't really get into them until about a year and a half ago. :(

Walrus Feeder
22-08-2005, 12:45:00
I didn't get into the Smiths until about 2001, started off buying 'Singles' and then started to buy their other albums after that. What a band though!

*End Is Forever*
22-08-2005, 13:31:28
Nirvana are overrated pap, and Kurt Cobain couldn't sing.

Provost Harrison
22-08-2005, 23:33:24
Yeah, I started listening to The Smiths in 1998 I think...they were a bit before my time. Recently (in the past year or so) I have been listening to The Pixies. Again would have been a bit too young at the time but I should have picked up on them longer ago than I did...

protein
23-08-2005, 00:26:07
I think I like Public Enemy. I would have missed them at the time.

Nills Lagerbaak
23-08-2005, 09:19:28
Yes, I'd go with public enemy, I think I caught them at the end of their popular bit.

I was lukcy enough to have a (crazy) friend at school who introduced me to NWA when they were still fairly big.

Protein, I wonder if you can guess who that friend was?

Kitsuki
23-08-2005, 09:45:20
Ash; bought their greatest hits type album a couple of weeks back - before that I couldn't tell you any of their songs bar Burn Baby Burn and Girl From Mars...

protein
23-08-2005, 10:47:26
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Yes, I'd go with public enemy, I think I caught them at the end of their popular bit.

I was lukcy enough to have a (crazy) friend at school who introduced me to NWA when they were still fairly big.

Protein, I wonder if you can guess who that friend was?
hmm. interesting that he listens to violent rap music and ends up in prison.

Nills Lagerbaak
23-08-2005, 10:50:57
Yes, indeed! Although I think the violent rap music was a consequence rather than a cause.....

protein
23-08-2005, 10:53:20
Which came first, the chicken food or the pecking?

Lurker the Second
24-08-2005, 20:10:05
Except that they never became popular and that I don't miss them, I'd say Sonic Undermine.

DevilsH@lo
06-09-2005, 00:48:40
The Smiths
Depeche Mode (although just caught the tail end)
The Cure (still making records, but the pre 90's stuff is better)

I caught pearl jam and stone temple pilots as soon as they hit, and always prefered both bands to nirvana.

Scabrous Birdseed
06-09-2005, 08:01:53
I'm hard pressed to think of any. I still dislike almost all bands from my teenage period (1994-99 or whatever), and I think I got most of the good stuff post-2000 covered. I'll eat my words about both of those some time soon, I think.

(That's hyped bands we're talking. DJ Screw while he was still alive would have been great to be a fan of.)

PosterBoy
01-10-2005, 20:12:14
The Replacements

Oerdin
02-10-2005, 03:07:21
For most of my life I never heard of a band unless they started getting air time on the radio. That meant they were already huge.