PDA

View Full Version : Help! No recording level...

Nills Lagerbaak
19-08-2005, 10:29:21
Right firstly a word of advice - never use a computer to record anything on.

Secondly, I have my guitar plugged into my PC via the microphone socket (with a preamp in the middle).

I can hear the sound perfectly through the PC speakers but I get no recording level on any of my recording software (Cubase, windows recorder)

Please help!!! I just got a new valve preamp and it sounds wicked, but I can't record shit!!

protein
19-08-2005, 10:55:22
Do you have any kind of soundcard icon on the bottom right of your screen? Like a yellow speaker or anything like that? For my onboard "soundmax" soundcard I have a blue square with a white triangle on it.

Or can you get your soundcard options on screen by going to Control Panel?

If the answer is no, download the latest drivers for your soundcard and then proceed to the next step.

next step:
look at your soundcard mixer and in the "record" section select the "line in" and set the level so it doesn't go into the red when you play loud.

Make sure you are coming out of a line out going into the line in.

Nills Lagerbaak
19-08-2005, 11:03:27
Yes, I have that blue square with yellow triangle too.

Will try intialising the mixer. Are you suggesting that the input is so high that I get no level at all...?

Form memory the only options I have on the sound card mixer are volumes and a "midi out" drop down list.

Thanks

protein
19-08-2005, 14:43:12
double click on the blue square.

on the bottom row there should be several options to choose from. choose "line in" and make sure the level isn't too loud or too quiet.

Go to "sounds and audio devices" in the contol panel, go to "audio" and make sure you have "soundMAX Digital Audio" selected as your sound recording device. Click "ok"

If it's still not working it should now be a Cubase issue.

In Cubase I think you can pick the input by clicking on something on the mixer bit. Maybe at the top? You should be able to click the input source and where you want the output to go. As you only have a left and right out on your card you'll just want the output as "main out" or whatever it is.

I think you know all this bit anyway.

Nills Lagerbaak
19-08-2005, 14:55:18
Cheers, I'll try the sound card manager again.