PDA

View Full Version : hmm... a bit scary?

protein
18-08-2005, 23:10:45
Russian and Chinese armed forces have begun their first joint exercises, involving some 10,000 personnel.

Marines will storm beaches, to be joined by paratroopers in a mock invasion of an imaginary country.

"Our exercises don't threaten any country," He said they were part of the "fight against international terrorism, separatism and extremism".

He denied the two countries were planning some kind of military union.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4162054.stm

mr.G
19-08-2005, 07:52:34
hmm... a bit scary cause italian girls are a bit hairy

MoSe
19-08-2005, 10:14:32
we even have a saying:
"Hirsute girl, virtuous girl"

The Norks
19-08-2005, 10:24:17
We're friends with Russia now aren't we?
We're a bit pompous about this shit- whenever another country does something like this we get scared but we do these exercises all over the world

protein
19-08-2005, 11:06:00
I'm just thinking of China invading the countries it's been wanting to for a while. I don't expect anyone to come over here and start an invasion. I don't think the USA could imagine being able to stop China or going to war with China and Russia.

The Norks
19-08-2005, 11:33:01
if you combined china and russia vs america and europe and australia it would be a close call, but ultimately we have the better technology, and thats more effective than men on the ground.

Drekkus
19-08-2005, 11:35:44
Hirsute? Is that a japanese girl?

Nills Lagerbaak
19-08-2005, 11:36:38
Yeah, it's always easier to bomb the fuck out of someone than fight in a fair way.....

Anyway, there was this documentary on some famous battle where someone tried to invade china (sorry not very helpful there). Two chinese soldiers confronted the leaders of the enemy. The enemy killed them. Ten minutes later four chinese confronted the enemy. They were killed. Ten minutes later eight, then sixteen, thirty two. I think they got the message around 100, at that point they left without a fight.

Drekkus
19-08-2005, 11:39:21
That's lame. If you're better and bigger, you crush your enemy and destroy it so they never bug you again, then plunder their houses, rape their women en salt their land.

Fistandantilus
19-08-2005, 11:44:28
We sailed our ships upon the shores
That once were out of reach
Turned the silence into war and bloodied up the beach
Trashed the forests and the trees
Til there's nothin' left to cut
We raped the rivers and the seas and turned the land to dust
It goes on and on
On and on...

Gary
19-08-2005, 11:45:39
You'd need a lot of salt.

Anyway the exercises were only done so they could all meet in the bar afterwards, in Taiwan High Street.

Nills Lagerbaak
19-08-2005, 11:45:53
Is that "Death to Christondom" by Dark Throne??

What a classic track that is!

Gary
19-08-2005, 11:46:41
They might put that on the juke box while they're there.

MDA
19-08-2005, 12:22:28
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Yeah, it's always easier to bomb the fuck out of someone than fight in a fair way.....

True, but who wants to fight a fair war, really? Not me.

The Norks
19-08-2005, 12:25:32
well what's 'fair' about hand to hand combat if you're massively outnumbered? why should we be fair to enemies? If someone threatens our national security we should take them out, or we're being unfair to our own troops. YOu shouldn't risk men's lives if there's a more sensible thing to do. You can be damn sure that if the enemy had better weaponry and machines they'd use them. Fair is sorting out the problem as quickly as possible with the least loss of life on both sides.

MDA
19-08-2005, 12:27:50
my post was shorter and said the same thing :p

Nills Lagerbaak
19-08-2005, 12:28:52
There's no point discussing the "logic" of war to me, I don't believe in it in any form. I also don't think that "war thinking" (we have to develop the biggest weapons because people will be ready to crush us at a moments notice) is an inevitable part of being human.

MDA
19-08-2005, 12:35:05
Good for you. Most of the rest of us would fight and die to defend your right to think that way.

Nills Lagerbaak
19-08-2005, 12:39:06
Oh, here we go. Well, off you go and die then.

MDA
19-08-2005, 12:40:34
OK, forget I said anything. :)

Greg W
19-08-2005, 12:41:02
Two problems. They both have nukes.

MDA
19-08-2005, 12:41:34
Me and Nills?

Greg W
19-08-2005, 12:43:17
Yes. In your pocketses.

MDA
19-08-2005, 12:49:31
maybe I'm just happy to see you

Greg W
19-08-2005, 12:53:50
Ooh, baby!

DevilsH@lo
19-08-2005, 13:27:00
I don't honestly think this is a bad thing, it's about time another big player stepped into the ring and pulled the americans back a bit, might stop them going to the UN with a big sledge hammer and demanding the use of military force at the earliest opportunity.

If china and russia do become bed fellows so to speak then maybe NATO will be more likely to try and follow diplomatic resolutions to world problems.

Although we could be heading for another cold war and i could be completely wrong. Time will tell i guess.

Nills Lagerbaak
19-08-2005, 14:25:23
I guess it is a sad day when we must rely on another bully to keep the other bully in place. Sad, sad indeed!:(

I make no appologies for my philosophical ramblings by the way :D

MoSe
19-08-2005, 14:27:57
I make no apolytons either

King_Ghidra
19-08-2005, 14:29:34
I guess it is a sad day when we must rely on another bully to keep the other bully in place. Sad, sad indeed!:(

did you just wake up today and forget the entire history of human civilization?

i'd love to see a time when it was not thus

Nills Lagerbaak
19-08-2005, 14:33:57
Thus schmus :) I am a firm believer that humanity can change, as long as there is one person who doesn't think it should always be this way, there is potential for everyone to be thus.

My prediction is that we will either annihilate ourselves or leave this planet (where the this behaviour will perpetuate).

(Yes, I did have a couple of pints of dangerously strong cider at lunch)

MoSe
19-08-2005, 14:38:10
(Yes, I did have a couple of pints of dangerously strong cider at lunch)

Which will annikhilate you or make you leave this planet

Greg W
19-08-2005, 14:38:25
Unfortunately Nills, whilst I agree with you about us having the capacity to change, it ain't going to happen. Look at the Middle East. Nothing is ever going to fix that.

I'd love for one day all humanity to treat every other person as their brother or sister (and I mean in a nice way), but it just ain't gonna happen unless something external forces us to.

DevilsH@lo
19-08-2005, 17:03:03
I completely agree with your sentiment Nills, but as KG says, it will never be this way until we end up in some sunny utopia where power and economy and religion have no standing.

The Norks
19-08-2005, 17:09:04
In the main, I think the world is becoming more peaceful. Europe has largely stopped fighting amongst themselves, and the types of land based and religious wars that were waged years ago aren't happening so much now. A good proportion of nations are moving towards a peacekeeping stance. The main problems are in the third world, but even there there's some movement. It wasn't ever going to be an easy transition though, and wars will still happen along the way.

Nills Lagerbaak
19-08-2005, 17:12:23
Definitely. Also a hell of a lot gets blamed on "human nature", but that has been shown to be changeable time and again.

I think if we all agreed on a less selfish world policy that could only be a good thing, and to make people less selfish you have to educate and them and provide for them, all of which could be done in a amicable manner, I'm sure, with a little thought.

DaShi
19-08-2005, 21:04:24
I wouldn't worry. China is far from being capable of engaging in military conquest without it's own country falling apart. Look at how the Iraq war is affecting the US economy. China's economy is far more fragile a mere blockade would cripple it. Plus, most families who live under the one child policy will not allow their only child off to war. I could see many young brainwashed youths eager to fight China's 'enemies,' but they will always concede to their more practical parents. The rest of the country would rather take arms against the government and set up their own little country where they can be left alone from corrupt government officials taking their land, pollution from factories killing their children, and being forced into unhealthy jobs in order to support the elite in the cities to the east.

Not to mention that Russia would love to see China collapse in on itself. And China wouldn't mind getting more cheap tech. from a desperate Russia. When it comes down to it, they are competitors, but current circumstances make it better fort them to appear friendly.

Oerdin
20-08-2005, 00:44:17

If you are fighting "fairly" then you're doing something very wrong. The goal in war is to kill as many of the other poor dumb bastards while losing as few of your own poor dumb bastards as possible. That means you don't fight fair and you pin his ass down and then wail away on him until he can't resist any more.

To do anything else is stupid and a waste of resources.

protein
20-08-2005, 02:00:17
Originally posted by DaShi
I wouldn't worry. China is far from being capable of engaging in military conquest without it's own country falling apart. Look at how the Iraq war is affecting the US economy. China's economy is far more fragile a mere blockade would cripple it. Plus, most families who live under the one child policy will not allow their only child off to war. I could see many young brainwashed youths eager to fight China's 'enemies,' but they will always concede to their more practical parents. The rest of the country would rather take arms against the government and set up their own little country where they can be left alone from corrupt government officials taking their land, pollution from factories killing their children, and being forced into unhealthy jobs in order to support the elite in the cities to the east.

Not to mention that Russia would love to see China collapse in on itself. And China wouldn't mind getting more cheap tech. from a desperate Russia. When it comes down to it, they are competitors, but current circumstances make it better fort them to appear friendly.
Wait, I'm really, really drunk. Barely focusing on the screen infatct.

So you think China won't invade Taiwan?

DaShi
20-08-2005, 02:08:48
No, I don't think they will. They've got too much to lose doing it. And little to gain.

protein
20-08-2005, 02:16:31
cool.

i don't know anything about this sort of thing.

i'm just a drunken musician from the uk who is going to bne sick soon.

as long as people aren;t going to be killed i am happy............

DaShi
20-08-2005, 20:19:29
Lucky. :(