PDA

View Full Version : I am lost

JM^3
18-08-2005, 22:06:06
The search for a research group is continuing, and not going well. Problems are often that they like others better, that I am not a good fit for the roll, that they don't have money.

It is all very frustrating. Very very frustrating. It is not like I have even had a chance to do research. I do admit that apparently I made a few mistakes. Like I should never have been interested in particle theory (not physics enough, not close enough to experiment), and I should never have tried to do condensed matter theory (little money, especially to spend on a chance like me) after that.

But now I have few experimental skills. I am older, which many groups don't like (They want you done with grad school after being here 5-7 total years, I have already been here 3).

Also, a decent ammount of projects have not been funded like they were expected to. In addition, the department keeps getting more and more students every year (my year and every year after had too many students, the current year has 48 which is almost 10 more then my year). This all means that there is not really enough money to go arround.

All of this is put on top of my general feeling that I have wasted my life, that I am not where I want to be. I don't have (And have never had) a girlfreind, and I don't seem any nearer to having one. There isn't anything I really want to do either.

Jon Miller

Venom
18-08-2005, 22:14:02
Time to kill.

Provost Harrison
18-08-2005, 22:17:52
I'd get out of research like I did, it's a mug's game...

JM^3
18-08-2005, 22:28:26
'There isn't anything I really want to do either."

by this I mean that I don't want to play games (Really)

I don't want to go out to bars or clubs

I do enjoy hanging out with freinds, but I want to do something more

it has always been very important to be to do something that was important, that I was skillful doing

I thought I was doing so by going to school.. and so I spent most my time doing that (should have spent more with friends, another bad decision). Now in grad school, I am lost...

I don't really know what to do, the only group that I have gotten into (has plenty of money apparently) is really engineering, not physics

and to top it off, I have the feeling the Prof is a slave driver (he asked how long I would be up for working.. and seemed to think when I said 60 that I was being a little low..)

also, all I have wanted to do in my life, for a long long time, is to be a scientist

engineering (and it might be possible to move to applied physics from his group) is not physics

Jon Miller

mr.G
18-08-2005, 22:29:50
Lighten up........you are Jon Miller

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-08-2005, 23:01:28
Do you like engineering?

self biased
18-08-2005, 23:17:26
have a drink.

Japher
18-08-2005, 23:48:33
the duldrums...

it's ppl who took the advice "you can do whatever you want" yo heart and actually did that who eventually find themselves where you are

not asking yourself "what am I capable of" like many ppl ask, but "what is it I actually want?"

it's a tough question

one, IMO, best awnsered without considering or including the prospect of jobs or careers in the equation

as Venom said; time to kil

(I can't believe I just quoted that bastard)

Immortal Wombat
19-08-2005, 00:09:22
Time to kill.

The question is: who?

JM^3
19-08-2005, 01:25:31
I still think that I am capable of doing theory, just no longer want to do particles (and there isn't any money in that), and can't find a group that will pay me in condensed matter

Jon Miller
(although I still admit, I have done no real research)

(I did fine in the advanced theory classes, better then most)

JM^3
19-08-2005, 01:33:41
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Do you like engineering?

I admit I don't know.. having never done it

what I enjoy reading about, is more basic physics (stuff that is farther from applied)

and I would sort of at least like to try to do physics, and not quit without at least trying my hand on research

Jon Miller

Venom
19-08-2005, 04:01:37
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Time to kill.

The question is: who?

Listen to the master.....Does it matter? No. No it doesn't.

Oerdin
19-08-2005, 05:43:31
Few career fields are really very stable now days unless you own the business or are in charge of firing other people before you yourself are fired. Government jobs seem the most stable unless you have a master's in engineering or some other ultra high demand degree.

JM^3
19-08-2005, 05:46:11
well, one choice is to get a PHD in engineering/applied physics, or the like..

so maybe I should do that

JM

RedFred
19-08-2005, 07:20:25
I'd go with the girlfriend thing.

Lazarus and the Gimp
19-08-2005, 07:44:22
We can't always end up doing jobs we love. I'd never have set out to work in pensions, but I'm good at it and the pay is good. The fact that it's a pain in the arse is something I can live with.

Oerdin
19-08-2005, 07:57:52
I honestly don't know anyone who loves their job.

mr.G
19-08-2005, 07:59:18
I do

Oerdin
19-08-2005, 07:59:59
They're lucky.

Lazarus and the Gimp
19-08-2005, 08:08:52
They're quality control inspectors in zero-gravity breast factories.

mr.G
19-08-2005, 08:10:15
hehehehehehehehehe laz said breast hehehehehehehe

Spartak
19-08-2005, 09:18:38
Originally posted by Oerdin
I honestly don't know anyone who loves their job. I love my job.