PDA

View Full Version : Harry potter thread for people who are stuck at about p400 and still bored shitless

The Norks
17-08-2005, 00:45:38
is it just me? Does anything happen in this book or is it just teenagers snogging and stuff? I'm finding it hard to get the will to read any further. I'm really disappointed- the Phoenix went off track but this one is just mind numbing. When does the story start? Usually we get the preamble and then blam, the action begins within a couple of chapters and she builds up the suspense, but for me the only suspense is whether I will manage two pages or three before I fall asleep reading it. Her writing style has never been her strong point but its really gone to shit with this book. I wonder if she's under too much pressure with a new baby, anxious publishers, her own fame, the films, the merchandise and the whole world and their wives waiting for her to churn out another gripping tale.

Has Rowling literally lost the plot? I really hope the next one makes this shambles worthwhile.

Can anyone offer me any hope? (and no spoilers!)

Sir Penguin
17-08-2005, 01:10:50
No, nothing happens.

SP

Venom
17-08-2005, 03:15:43
Put me in this category. Not much of a story here.

Funko
17-08-2005, 09:16:16
You still haven't finished it?! :eek:

Tizzy
17-08-2005, 09:18:28
This one is pretty much all back story, filling in the gaps and building up to the finale.

Funko
17-08-2005, 09:21:27
I really liked it but I tend to like this kind of "behind the scenes" thing where you get to find out more about the characters with the adventure taking a bit of a backseat for a bit.

Venom
17-08-2005, 14:01:14
I only read for about 30 minutes a night. Sometimes not even every night.

I like backstory too, but to sacrifice a whole book on it is not going to earn a high grade from me. I like that she's taking advantage of this rich world she's built but it seems like this whole book could have been written around a diner table like in Resevoir Dogs. Like she wrote it and then said, "Shit. This is supposed to happen at a school. I better inlcude a Quidditch match or two and put the kids in class a time or two. Then I can add another 80 pages of them walking the halls."

Funko
17-08-2005, 14:13:52
Ah well, I didn't think that's all there was going on either, there's are loads of story threads started as well which presumably will all come together in the finale.

Venom
17-08-2005, 14:16:23
If that's the case Book 7 will either be 1000 pages or poorly written because she's got a lot of ground to cover.

Venom
17-08-2005, 14:26:26
Basically, she usually does a much better job of tying the school year to the plot. This time they were just smashed in the same room and barely mingled, let alone meshed.

Japher
17-08-2005, 14:41:42
I would rather see them making out and walking the halls than sleeping through lessons.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
17-08-2005, 21:07:07
Some stuff happens at around pages 500/550 to about 650 maybe (from memory). But it is very much back story, and strung out (is this for suspense?) through the book.

It's on par with the (much shorter) first book, which was all setup. Cut it by 200 pages and it would be a ton more interesting.

Japher
17-08-2005, 21:44:43
I think it is done for kids who don't remember exactly what happen in the earlier books. A lot of it seems to be rehash.

The Norks
18-08-2005, 00:20:02
Originally posted by Venom
I only read for about 30 minutes a night. Sometimes not even every night.

I like backstory too, but to sacrifice a whole book on it is not going to earn a high grade from me. I like that she's taking advantage of this rich world she's built but it seems like this whole book could have been written around a diner table like in Resevoir Dogs. Like she wrote it and then said, "Shit. This is supposed to happen at a school. I better inlcude a Quidditch match or two and put the kids in class a time or two. Then I can add another 80 pages of them walking the halls."

I totally agree- her other books have had tight plots and keep you gripped from the outset, this one just meanders about. Its like she couldn't think of a way to get all this stuff in before the last book, there's no structure or plot at all so far. Its just chit chat and filler. Not what I'd expect from someone so obviously talented.