PDA

View Full Version : "Threads" re-released on DVD Sept 5th

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-08-2005, 20:32:52
If you've never seen it before, treat yourself. It's (hands down) the most bleak film ever made- so harrowing it could traumatise a rock.

I watched it when I was 15, and like all others who saw it as a teenager I enjoy banging on about how it left me a bit emotionally scarred.

Diss
14-08-2005, 21:43:21
not a bad film, just wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. The story jumps around a little. Especially the end where they just fast forward too many years. I'd rather they focussed more on the girl. And the film quality isn't the best. I know it's a tv movie, but it was the 80's not the 60's :). but perhaps the version I got it from was from a poor VCR tape.

And then I've heard some people say that nuclear winter wouldn't be as bad as people first made it out to be. Though there's only one way to find out for sure... :)

Fergus & The Brazen Car
15-08-2005, 10:00:19
They should show Watkins' ' The War Game' again, too.

Preferably in Iran, Pakistan and India.

His next work, The War Game, "preconstructs" the effects of a nuclear attack on southern England. Perhaps it was not just Watkins' deadpan voice-over, nor the matter-of-fact delivery of official prognostications of casualties and security measures, but his comparison of nuclear firestorms with the ever-sensitive British bombing of Dresden in 1945 (subject of two later banned programmes in the United Kingdom) that saw the film banned. Reduced to fund-raising shows for nuclear disarmament groups, the programme has rarely been discussed in terms other than those of its subject and its political fate. But its pathbreaking and still-powerful juxtaposition of interview, reconstruction, graphics, titles and the collision of dry data with images of horror still shock, the grainy black-and-white imagery and use of telephoto, sudden zooms and wavering focus creating an atmosphere of immediacy unique in British television. Fifty minutes that shook the world, it was banned for 25 years by the BBC amid storms of controversy which were reopened when it finally made British TV screens in a Channel 4 season of banned titles.

Announcing the decision to hold back The War Game in 1965, the BBC explained that the film was too horrifying for the medium of broadcasting, expressing a particular concern for "children, the very old or the unbalanced*."

The War Game took the 1966 best documentary Oscar, opening the door to Hollywood.

* Thus covering the House of Lords, right wing media and the Conservative Party.

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/W/htmlW/watkinspete/watkinspete.htm

King_Ghidra
15-08-2005, 10:17:56
i saw the war game on a rather traumatic night as a child of maybe 8 or 9 i think back in the early eighties. my parents had gone out and my uncle came to babysit (no it's not going to be THAT kind of trauma don't worry)

liverpool were playing somone in europe and the game was masively disrupted by a riot, i think it must have been the year before heysel

then later we watched the war game and i was just utterly shocked by it

Diss
16-08-2005, 08:36:41
although I admit the day after watching Threads I saw a missile launch from Vandenburg air force base in California. It kind of freaked me out. :). Then I found out they were running another test of the anti-ballistic missile system- you know, the one that fails all the time.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
16-08-2005, 21:29:01
I saw the after effects of one of those tests. A strange rainbow streak of vapor (or something) acoss half the sky, hugely beautiful, and equally eerie.

MOBIUS
21-08-2005, 20:44:31
I noticed they have this in my local library - perhaps I should see it again sometime...:)