PDA

View Full Version : Interesting vaccinations

Provost Harrison
12-08-2005, 11:35:08
I've had tetanus and polio and I once had Hepatitis B but I think it has expired now. So tell me about your interesting vaccinations...

Oerdin
12-08-2005, 11:43:15
When I joined the army they gave me 17 vaccinations in one day. I felt like dying.

Provost Harrison
12-08-2005, 11:45:51
And they were just to go to Hawaii ;)

You must have felt like a pincushion.

lightblue
12-08-2005, 11:46:35
Hep A and B for my research. Yellow fever and typhoid (ouch that one was painful) for trips.

Provost Harrison
12-08-2005, 11:47:57
Yeah, I've had the typhoid one many years ago. Felt like my arm was going to drop off...

Oerdin
12-08-2005, 11:49:45
Originally posted by Provost Harrison

They use an air gun instead of a needle so you hardly feel a thing. Unless you move when they tell you to stand still then the air gun rips the fuck out of your skin.

Provost Harrison
12-08-2005, 11:50:31
Are you sure the doctor didn't just want to shoot you? ;)

Tizzy
12-08-2005, 11:52:39
Typhoid, that's what I was trying to remember, that was a nasty one.

Oerdin
12-08-2005, 11:54:50

It gets better though. When I went to Iraq they lost my medical folder so I had to do everything over again. There was a list of vaccinations as long as my arm.

Me: "I'm here to get these vaccinations."

Nurse: "I can't give you those vaccinations."

Me: "Why not?"

Nurse: "Because you will die if I give you all of those at once."

Provost Harrison
12-08-2005, 12:03:05
Well who would have thought that such a simple copycat thread could be such a success? ;)

MoSe
12-08-2005, 12:25:54
I've had tetanus and polio and I once had Hepatitis B but I think it has expired now. So tell me about your interesting vaccinations...

Are you impliyng in your country Tetanus and Polio vaccination are not compulsory? Or was it just for the copycat sake....

IIRC I had them both when I was a kid, say before my 5th year.

Wait, maybe someone decided that polio has been definitely eradicated, so it's no more necessary to vaccinate every kid against it...
But tetanus? the same?

Fergus & The Brazen Car
12-08-2005, 12:38:55
Smallpox, cholera, tetanus (& boosters), typhoid, para-typhoid, yellow fever, tuberculosis, polio.

The typhoid and para-typhoid were on the same day in the same arm in the same injection site, and it swelled up like a pinky-red balloon animal, leaking clear fluid from a well defined pit the next day. I managed to stumble on the bus into school, banging the arm against one of the metal poles inside the bus, which was so excruciatingly painful, I thought I was going to faint, and came close to hurling my brekkies on some old woman.

My temperature shot up later on and I had to have the day off with some anti-pyretics to bring my temp. down.

Absolutely ghastly feeling, and I really would wish it on my worst enemy.

Tetanus shots just made my leg ache and get stiff, but that's preferable to death by tetanus.

MoSe
12-08-2005, 12:45:32
ah, of course smallpox and TBC were compulsory too in my youth, aren't still they?

IIRC I had typhoid at 8 before going to a summer camp, but it came in pills.

don'tremember any noticeable side effect from any of the above

Fergus & The Brazen Car
12-08-2005, 12:56:48
Originally posted by MoSe
ah, of course smallpox and TBC were compulsory too in my youth, aren't still they?

IIRC I had typhoid at 8 before going to a summer camp, but it came in pills.

don'tremember any noticeable side effect from any of the above

Not smallpox- because it has been eradicated from the wild, we've said bye-bye to little needle guns and a scab on the upper arm.

And it always used to make Hollywood epics and Italian peplums so interesting- "Oh look, Spartacus and Hercules have been vaccinated!"

Now that I recall, the cholera may have been on the same day as the typhoid and para-typhoid injections.

Oh, and I had a 'souvenir' certificate from the Edward Jenner Institute, too. The polio was a cinch- a lovely old doctor's surgery, with a roaring open fire, and a wet sugar lump. It would have been worth having several at that age.

Oh, and I almost forgot- had to have muscle relaxants when McDonalds gave me gastro-enteritis years and years ago. Bastards- I was passing clear fluid from both ends by 5.30 in the morning and could barely walk. My stomach and back muscles ached for almost a week, solidly.

Funko
12-08-2005, 12:58:26
TB was the one we had that gave the upper arm scar.

Provost Harrison
12-08-2005, 13:09:46
Originally posted by MoSe
Are you impliyng in your country Tetanus and Polio vaccination are not compulsory? Or was it just for the copycat sake....

I was referring to the Hep B, fool :p

Yeah, TB, I had that one as well...never found that one too much of a problem...

Tizzy
12-08-2005, 13:14:02
TB, polio (drops not injection), MMR (but seperate jabs I think), Rubella booster, typhoid, and a couple of others at the same time as the typhoid one that I can't remember now.
Possibly HepB and yellow fever. One of them I was supposed to get a booster for a year later but I forgot.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
12-08-2005, 13:15:52
Originally posted by Funko

But if you had the smallpox jab too you had two slightly different scars on the same arm. My smallpox one is off-white and still has the marks of the little needles in it. The B.C.G. one is the usual keloid looking off-purple kind.

It seems odd that the government are phasing out compulsory school B.C.G. jabs given that T.B. is still going the rounds, commonly occurs in war torn areas of the world, there's bovine t.b., and then there's the prevalence of multi-drug resistant T.B. amongst the homeless and prison populations.

What with West Nile, Marburg, Lassa and Ebola fevers, H.I.V., M.R.S.A. , Japanese encephalitis, bacterial meningitis, Ross River fever, Lyme disease, and necrotizing fasciitis it makes travel seem so much more inviting.

Funko
12-08-2005, 13:16:52
aha.

TB is coming back in fact.

Beta1
12-08-2005, 13:45:08
yeah but the current BCG vaccine is of limited use against the strains we are seeing now. Its got to the point where the number of people suffering reactions etc. is higher than the number of cases it would prevent. TB treatments are also pretty good - even the multi resistant forms can be treated just not with the nice new treatments.

There will probably be a new version of the vaccine eventually.

paiktis22
12-08-2005, 14:02:08
Originally posted by Oerdin
When I joined the army they gave me 17 vaccinations in one day. I felt like dying.

:eek:

2 shots in the army.
tetanus
meningitis
and a test for tubercilosis sensitivity which i passed so no injection.

Japher
12-08-2005, 14:04:33
I got the Hep B vaccination... twice

because I'm a moron.

Venom
12-08-2005, 14:27:03
Vaccinations?

Japher
12-08-2005, 14:27:50
Those shots the doctors give you to prevent you from becoming a disease ridden mongrul... oh... I see your confussion

Venom
12-08-2005, 14:34:50
Doctor?

Japher
12-08-2005, 14:36:39
never you mind... I've said enough already

The Norks
12-08-2005, 14:39:35
Originally posted by Funko

ahhh! When I had my TB, because I pass out so easily they did it lying down at the hospital. When they did the tester (the 5 point needle) I threw up and had to be wheeled out in a wheelchair much to the horror of the other kids, but when I had the actual TB, they stamped me twice with a 20 point needle, so it doesn't scab over or hurt as much, so consequently I don't have the TB scar that most people have. Which is nice...

KrazyHorse@home
12-08-2005, 15:05:08
The only reaction I ever had to a vaccination was when I got one of my Hep B shots.

The single muscle fibre in my shoulder into which he'd injected the vaccine swoll up to an enormous size, so I had this really weird very long and thin bump on my shoulder.

Nills Lagerbaak
12-08-2005, 15:07:16
MMR jab.

KrazyHorse@home
12-08-2005, 15:09:18
I should probably go get a booster for tetanus. I'm about due.

Venom
12-08-2005, 15:25:40
I'm way due for a tetnus shot.

Immortal Wombat
12-08-2005, 15:25:59
Hep A, Hep B, Meningitus; Rabies was the best one.

mr.G
12-08-2005, 15:53:51
I cut myself with an envelop once
jesjes

Asher
12-08-2005, 16:07:04
Hell if I can remember.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-08-2005, 19:15:27
My father had a smallpox vaccination, and my mother caught cowpox off him as a result. That was fun.

MoSe
16-08-2005, 09:31:11
Hey, that was proof of where the term itself comes from! Vaccination = injection of supposedly milder vaccine (=coming from cows) viruses instead of human ones

I figure your mother wasn't exactly thrilled by that philological implication...