PDA

View Full Version : Interesting vacations

Oerdin
12-08-2005, 10:00:59
This thread is for you to share your interesting and memorable vacations. The one I think I will share happened when I was 13 and it started out rather poorly. That summer my parents had planned a long road trip from southern California all the way out to Texas. My father loved road trips for vacations but my mother was rather luke warm about them but it was a family tradition that we should have a family vacation to see the world and it just so happened that climbing in the family station wagon was the most affordable way to do it. In any event my parents got into a fight about what to do on vacation and my mom said she'd rather sit at home then go on a long road trip.

My sister said she'd rather stay home to hang out with her 18 year old boyfriend (she was 15 at the time; that didn't go over well but my mother said she didn't have to go if she didn't want to) while I, honestly, was bored sitting home over summer so my father and I decided to take a summer road trip to explore the American west.

Our path zig-zaged across the map. We went to the grand canyon, we went to Tombstone, Arizona of "the shoot out at the OK corral" fame, we stopped at the Navajo reservatin to see monument valley, we went to Winslow, AR just because my dad liked the Eagles song (you know the one that says "I was standing on a corner in Windslow, Arizona"), we went to White Sands, New Mexico to see where the atomic bomb was first brought upon the world, we went to Carlesbad Caverns National Park to see the worlds biggest cave system (that was utterly amazing), we went to the city of Roswell, NM to see the alien museum (I remember thinking it was crap), we went to Gila Bend National Park at the Texas-Mexico border (very famous in western films), we went hudreds of miles out of our way to look at the river walk in San Antonia just because I had seen a movie in which a 5 minute scene was filmed there and I thought it looked nice.

My dad was always doing things like that. He just likes traveling and any reason to travel is a good reason to him. I can recall stopping off at some KOA (a shitty third tear camp ground specializing in poor white trash vacations) in the mountains of New Mexico just because it was getting close to dark and my father was tired of driving. Anyway, there was a small mountain stream there and I was bonkers over fishing (my uncle and a bunch his friends were always taking me fishing when I was younger so I just loved fishing) and I can remember catching my limit of German brown trout and rainbow trout from that stream.

I caught so many that we gave away several to the other campers and my dad showed my how to stuff them with "uncle ben's wild rice" and butter after which we wrapped them in tin foil and cooked them on an open fire. We liked that shitty little campground so much we stayed three days.

That was a great vacation. Tell me about yours.

Oerdin
12-08-2005, 10:05:28
I forgot to mention the petrified forest west of Albuquerque. Whole trees buried in volcanic ash and perfectly preserved in stone. Very impressive.

Nills Lagerbaak
12-08-2005, 10:20:09
We had a superb lads holiday in Madrid once (with the old uni crew). We went to supposedly the oldest restaurant in the world (they had the guiness book of records open on the appropriate page). We had only just arrived and were very hungry after a stupid middle of the night flight. None of us spoke spanish or had been to Spain before, so we went through the menu and ordered what we recognised. I had the "Jambon" so did the next person, and the next and all seven apart from one who ordered fish. . The bastard waiter just looked at us like we were crazy and shook his head.
Half an hour later when we had caned off the complimentary bread he came with our order. Seven plates of sliced salami (one which would have been sufficent for all eight) and a massive basket of salted anchovies. I have never felt so sick / desperate for vegetables since! Damn Madrid, stictched us up.

Funko
12-08-2005, 10:21:14
:lol:

Gary
12-08-2005, 10:24:25
Bread, salami, and anchovies. Sounds great ! Just need a few beers to wash it all down with.

Nills Lagerbaak
12-08-2005, 10:28:15
Originally posted by Gary
Bread, salami, and anchovies. Sounds great ! Just need a few beers to wash it all down with.

Yes, we realised afterwards that it made excellent Tapas, but not a main meal...

Oh yeah that reminds me, first bar, ordered some beers and noticed that there were some lovely spicy chickens wings on the bar, we thought someone had forgoteen them so we stole them and hid them behind the menu on our table.

When we'd finished them the waiter came round, filled the bowl up and said "why you hide the tapas eh?" We then realised they were free.

God we must have looked like plebs

Funko
12-08-2005, 10:33:12

Oerdin
12-08-2005, 10:43:05
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
We had a superb lads holiday in Madrid once (with the old uni crew). We went to supposedly the oldest restaurant in the world (they had the guiness book of records open on the appropriate page). We had only just arrived and were very hungry after a stupid middle of the night flight. None of us spoke spanish or had been to Spain before, so we went through the menu and ordered what we recognised. I had the "Jambon" so did the next person, and the next and all seven apart from one who ordered fish. . The bastard waiter just looked at us like we were crazy and shook his head.
Half an hour later when we had caned off the complimentary bread he came with our order. Seven plates of sliced salami (one which would have been sufficent for all eight) and a massive basket of salted anchovies. I have never felt so sick / desperate for vegetables since! Damn Madrid, stictched us up.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I suppose it is because I speak Spanish but I find that very funny. ;)

Gary
12-08-2005, 10:56:11
'Speaking' of tapas. That reminds me of an amusing incident I had with mates on holiday. Similar to your experience Nils.

None of us knew what tapas was and sat down at a table outside a restaurant intending to order our main evening meal. If we noticed the word tapas at all we would have figured it was part of the name of the place.

Anyway we all order something that appealed, and then waited. Gee the service was awful. They took their time, and then only brought out one person's order at a time. It was almost as if they expected one of us to finish eating before the other started. Well we didn't want to see them wait until ours came out so told them not to be polite and start.

And the dishes seemed strange too. Not the variety one gets in a traditional dish at home. Like a whole plate of fish etc.

The woman at the next table seemed to be amused, we assumed it was at the bad service we were putting up with.

Then, some time into this 'meal' one of our party noticed the word 'tapas' as said that he thought it might mean some kind of sharing thing. "Don't be daft, why would I want to risk you lot choosing my food !"

Seems he may have been right. Damn strange furriner behaviour.

Nills Lagerbaak
12-08-2005, 11:02:37
I don't think not speaking SPanish is an excuse, it's just common sense really. I guess we had just walked of a plane...

Nills Lagerbaak
12-08-2005, 11:04:32

It's funny but I now think Tapas is an awesome concept!

Oerdin
12-08-2005, 11:23:57
Its a great concept. Hardly a night out with the lads where we don't grab some quick tapas to tide us over.

Nills Lagerbaak
12-08-2005, 11:30:35
It's so civilised. Little portions of lots of things, so you get variety and don't get bored with one dish.

I loved the fact that in spain the longer you spent in a bar the better the free tapas got. Started with simple crisps, ended up with chicken wings. Great.,