PDA

View Full Version : Well

JM^3
09-08-2005, 20:33:16
3 weeks until the start of classes and still no group.

I am really not good at this.

I am finally at the spamming email stage, I sent out 4 to people who might be interesting. We will see who bites.

I am currently looking for experimental openings in condensed matter (and I even sent an email to someone in high energy).

I have talked to about 1 person a week the last month, apparently it wasn't enough.

Jon Miller
(Doesn't like rejection)

Vincent
09-08-2005, 20:35:26
translation please!

JM^3
09-08-2005, 20:42:19
ok, if you want to be a physicist this is what you do

you study for 4 years and get your degree, you take tests, and do decently, and then you get into graduate school

at graduate school, you take a years worth of classes and a big test to show that you know everything that every physicist should know (Quantum Mechanics, E&M, Statistical Mechanics, Classical Mechanics, etc)

after that you need to find a group, and learn some stuff (About a years worth of classes in general) in your area of interest

while in your group you do research (which is what gets you your PHD)

I have not been able to find a group, and I am about to begin my 4th year

let's just say that no one is happy about this

Jon Miller

Vincent
09-08-2005, 20:45:14
So "I am currently looking for experimental openings in condensed matter (and I even sent an email to someone in high energy)." - is that about advanced email techniques or some physics stuff?

Lazarus and the Gimp
09-08-2005, 20:46:16
Originally posted by JM^3

I am currently looking for experimental openings in condensed matter

Hur hur hur. Aren't we all?

JM^3
09-08-2005, 21:06:08
Originally posted by Vincent
So "I am currently looking for experimental openings in condensed matter (and I even sent an email to someone in high energy)." - is that about advanced email techniques or some physics stuff?

physics stuff

condensed matter is like superconductors and nano stuff and the like

JM

mr.G
09-08-2005, 21:16:02
can i be in your group?

Gary
09-08-2005, 21:25:54
Sorry to hear. I guess no one said a PHd was a 'piece of piss' though.

May you find your groupies soon.

Japher
09-08-2005, 21:28:49
is the group to be comprised of other students or is this like an Internship or something?

JM^3
09-08-2005, 21:30:59
a group is led by 1 or more professors

probably has at least one post-doc

then has some graduate students

the students don't have to be all doing the same research

it is how physics research is done (even theory, although theory groups are generally smaller (only one professor))

JM

JM^3
09-08-2005, 21:31:56
you can use group and lab almost interchangeably

JM

Japher
09-08-2005, 21:33:16
so this is like stuff for your doctorate

JM^3
09-08-2005, 21:34:41
yep

it is how you do research

I basically haven't done any research...

JM

JM^3
09-08-2005, 21:36:42
basically the professor(s) apply for grants and come up with the ideas of what to do (as well as sometimes some work)

then they have the postdocs and graduate students do most of the work (postdocs are better then grad students in general)

JM

Japher
09-08-2005, 21:37:54
my wife worked with, and still does, genetic ppl from Stanford. A lot of them are post-docs, but they also have some that are working on their doctorate.

Sucks you can't find anyone, there is no one at your Uni working in your field? Or anything close?

KrazyHorse@home
09-08-2005, 21:47:16
The smell of whiskey puts them off.

JM^3
09-08-2005, 22:14:19
I am not looking for people in my field

I am looking for a field

I was first looking for people in particle physics theory (my second year in grad school), but wisely (I think) got out of that before too much time had passed

then I started looking for people in condensed matter theory, but I think that I have exhausted them (or almost have.. still a couple long shots)

I have started looking in condensed matter experiment, as I said in one of the early posts

and I don't drink the night before talking to anyone, I have as good of grades as many of my freinds who have (had) groups and have as good as work ethic (There is nothing I see in myself that makes me worse..)

with experiment I have a little problem in that I haven't done anything experimental in a long time, so my skills are a bit low (also generally they prefer to take people who are not so old as me)

Jon Miller

MoSe
10-08-2005, 12:58:21
Sorry if I may sound naive, but I still have a basic doubt:

you're looking for a field/group and you can't find one because

- you'd just have to pick one and "enlist", but you realise that the available fields/groups are not interesting / too difficult / whatever, and you prefer not doing anything rather than doing something that's not really what you want to do

- you *apply* for entering in a group and the group has to *accept* you, i.e. there must be place and you have to meet some specification/ranking, but you can't convince any professor to take you in, much as it happens with a job...

????

JM^3
10-08-2005, 13:25:02
you have to get accepted

JM

The Norks
11-08-2005, 01:07:27
eugene