PDA

View Full Version : JD Powers & Associates Revisited (FAO: Oerdin)

Asher
09-08-2005, 00:21:27
I just received some mail from Mazda.

They sent me a survey questionaire -- slightly less detailed than the ones from Consumer Reports -- and have asked me to fill it in as part of the JD Powers & Associates initial quality study.

:gasmaske:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Oerdin's entire argument on why JDP&A results were more relevant than CR results were JDP&A didn't rely on people mailing in results?

Perplexing!

Asher
09-08-2005, 00:24:51
Perhaps this explains the unusually glowing reviews car makes get from JDP&A:

Consumer Reports just asks you to submit it, postage-paid, just for the good of statistics of the brand.

JDP&A, on the other hand, enters anyone who replies into a draw for a Mazda RX-8 (I'm assuming if you submitted for another brand, they'd enter you to win one of their cars instead).

Could it be that the only people who can be arsed to respond are people who favor that brand (ie, that want another car of that brand?).

If you were utterly disappointed in the brand, I think you'd be less likely to be interested in obtaining another car from the same brand?

Provost Harrison
09-08-2005, 00:47:24
Yeah, but if you won the car, you could always sell it on :D

Oerdin
09-08-2005, 01:34:21
Originally posted by Asher
I just received some mail from Mazda.

They sent me a survey questionaire -- slightly less detailed than the ones from Consumer Reports -- and have asked me to fill it in as part of the JD Powers & Associates initial quality study.

:gasmaske:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Oerdin's entire argument on why JDP&A results were more relevant than CR results were JDP&A didn't rely on people mailing in results?

Perplexing!

It depends upon the survey and you know it. Some are owner responses plus manufacturers data, others are just responses, while still others are just manufacturers data. You know it so please stop acting surprised.

Asher
09-08-2005, 04:46:24
My surprise is that you disregard long term (5+ year, post-warranty) consumer report studies just because they use a postage-paid mail-in format.

It seems JD Powers & Associates is using that too.

Do you see the problem in your convenient dismissal of the 5+ year reliability statistics?