PDA

View Full Version : To Flash or Not to Flash........?

novacane
05-08-2005, 10:42:06
I received this today. Its an official NHS notice warning staff not to flash (with headlights!!) motorists who don't have their lights on as they may be gang members who will chase and possibly shoot you!!

I kinda think this is scaremongering, though I don't doubt there have been cases.

Either way, the whole issue creates a lot of confusion. I won't be flashing anybody. I know Reading has gangs and guns. But, not flashing also has its dangers.........

novacane
05-08-2005, 10:44:04
Here's the notice........

Security

Warning - We have received a warning from the London Ambulance Service of activities in their area. Whilst the below behaviour is not common place in our area I have spoken with Greater Manchester Police and their risk assessment of the action is to circulate it as a potential'

The London Ambulance service have units closely associated with the Police based in South London who are basically Fighting Gang Crimes. The 'street gangs' in London (particularly South London at present, but it is sure to spread) have initiation tasks which new gang members have to carry out to be admitted to the 'gang'. The latest craze is to drive around, deliberately with no lights on their cars. The first person who 'flashes' them, points at them or sounds their horn at them, has to be followed by that new gang member in their car, who then has to fire a shot into that vehicle with no regard as to who is inside.

Our official instruction is that if we see a vehicle with no lights on, we are NOT to 'flash' it etc. and the advice to friends and family is that you should ignore any vehicles you see without lights. I would ask that you pass this info on to all your family, friends and colleagues and who knows, it may save a life.

Trust Security Manager

Funko
05-08-2005, 10:45:20
Is it a real NHS notice or a one of those made up spam things people try and get people to forward around.

novacane
05-08-2005, 10:50:14
Its a proper NHS notice. I received it from a client who works closely with Royal Berks on Staff Travel Plans (and stuff).

Nills Lagerbaak
05-08-2005, 10:52:08
Well, this is truly rediculous. What happens if you drive around with no lights, and encounter someone else with no lights? Do you have to stop the car and do some kind of crazy handshake?

novacane
05-08-2005, 10:56:58
A shoot-out?

Kitsuki
05-08-2005, 10:59:15
Or when we see a car with no headlights on should we ram it off the road and then unload several rounds into it...?

novacane
05-08-2005, 11:00:04
Problem solved then. :bounce:

Gary
05-08-2005, 11:05:05
IMO flashing someone who does not have their lights on should be done in some circumstances but not in others. Simple courtesy.

If the street lights are not on yet then the chances are the car without headlights is a driver using their own judgement as to when it's time to put them on. Flashing them is therefore an agressive act, an attempt to get another to do as you think they should. One shold consider carefully the probably result of flashing someone just because they're not doing what you want them to.

But if had really become dark such that the street lights are on, a car without headlights is probably a case of the driver forgetting to put them on, in which case they will probably be grateful for the reminder.

Or you can just ram them off the road.

Gary
05-08-2005, 11:06:58
As for the note, sounds like someone has been taken in by an urban legend. How many car shooting of respectable citizens have you heard of lately ?

novacane
05-08-2005, 11:12:57
I'm actually inclined to believe this has happened "somewhere". A more extreme case of "happy-slapping"?

However, I'm not even slightly concerned as I never flash anybody anyway. Its not my problem........

Gary
05-08-2005, 11:14:09
You may like to contact them and ask as they give no details (http://www.londonambulance.co.uk/talkingtous/contact.html)

Don't lie ! We've heard about you in the park with your dirty raincoat !

Walrus Feeder
05-08-2005, 11:19:02
Don't flash just incase it's an unmarked police car - or you'll get done for indecent exposure!

novacane
05-08-2005, 11:29:06
I never expected this thread to turn into predictable smut.

Honestly.:sleep:

Chris
05-08-2005, 12:26:07
I thought it was going to be a thread about hooters.

What a gyp.