PDA

View Full Version : Rome Total War Realism 6.0

maroule
04-08-2005, 10:59:17
just came out yesterday, and I tried it.

For those who wonder, this is the major mod of Rome Total War 'vanilla' (the retail version), and the extend of the changes is quite amazing. They have redesigned not only the appearance (lmuch arger map and lot more cities, completely new units, redesigning old ones, new factions like Ilyria and Bactria, all the way to new indian troops) but also the core mecanism, wuith a system of recrutment of local troops that depend on cultural zones (i.e when Rome conquers a Lybian city, it cannot produce legions, but libyan local troops : for example playing Cartage isnow all about mercenaries). The number of major changes is too long to list.

The overall effect is very impressive (visually, a lot more historical feeling, etc.) and completely resurect a game I'd gone very bored about. It's much more of a challenge.

If you liked RTW, make sure to try this one.

No longer Trippin
08-08-2005, 18:31:41
All the mods in the world won't fix a broken engine.

Venom
08-08-2005, 19:11:07
Don't say anything against Total War. You'll turn him from a mild mannered Frenchman into The Incredible Frog.

maroule
09-08-2005, 11:36:28
indeed, don't push me, I can be really really not nice

Partly true, NLT. I know the AI sucks big time : they managed to minimise it on the tactical part (I think it's called darth formation, mod 6, where the enemy generals stop suiciding) but the strategic part is awful. Yet, with different balancing (the roma mod by Blouie is especially hard), the game is much more challenging. As it's also the most beautiful one around, it still capatures my interest. Plus as far as I know, nobody has ever manager to produce a smart AI for a strategic/historical game

No longer Trippin
09-08-2005, 20:49:02
It isn't the AI I'm talking about, that is forgivable to a large degree. I don't expect a computer to give me a real challenge on that scale - but kneecapping the bloody thing so that it gives no challenge was a stupid idea. I'm talking about the AI resetting itself when you load a game (not just the random seed). Unless I played for a marathon amount of time the AI barely is able to do anything since most sieges will be dropped on load and it reformulates it's entire strategy meaing everything else is screwed as well. I don't have time to play for 4 hours at a time, so that rendered the game useless to me. The times I had played it for long stints it at least was a bit of a challenge - any other time it wasn't. Great game with a huge flaw for me.