PDA

View Full Version : Photo critique

Beta1
02-08-2005, 17:00:31
I've been doing a lot more photography recently, especially wildlife stuff. I think I've improved a lot over the last couple of years but I havn't taken the plunge and entered any of the competitions. I think the full on wildlife photographer of the year is out of my league as I dont have the budget for the hardware or the travel. But I'm thinking of entering the countryfile one this year.

Previous entrants are here here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/environment/programmes/countryfile/photocomp_2004.shtml)

Some of my images (scaled down a lot - the originals are over 2500 pixels wide)

http://www.acolyte.boltblue.com/wildlife/picture4.jpg
http://www.acolyte.boltblue.com/wildlife/picture5.jpg
http://www.acolyte.boltblue.com/plants/picture8.jpg
http://www.acolyte.boltblue.com/plants/picture10.jpg

only the water lilly and the duck are really any good as this years theme is "water" but the others are stuff I've done recently. I think the bee is one of the best shots I've taken.

Shall I enter the duck and the lilly (you can enter up to four). I wish I had time to get down to the coast and take some seascapes before the closing date but I doubt I will

Oerdin
02-08-2005, 17:01:34
I'd love some Peking Duck right about now.

King_Ghidra
02-08-2005, 17:03:05
the duck and the bee are excellent

the composition of the lilly one didn't do much for me, and the lighting on the mushrooms didn't ether

Beta1
02-08-2005, 17:07:41
yeah I think you right about the lilly, its also a little bit saturated although I think I have another with a lower exposure.

Now I look at it the composition would have been better if I had taken it portait and then cropped it in with the flower at the bottom. Oh well, too late for that now!

Oerdin
02-08-2005, 17:08:46
NExt time zoom in closer to the flower.

Immortal Wombat
02-08-2005, 17:11:46
Or taken it from a higher angle maybe.

The duck is a great picture though. Definitely worth entering.

Drekkus
02-08-2005, 17:12:23
You can tell that's one bad ass necrofucking duck.

King_Ghidra
02-08-2005, 17:13:35
the colour on the beak and head is superb

Spartak
02-08-2005, 17:27:50
The duck is absolutely your best picture. Its excellent.

I think the bee could have been stunning if your lighting conditions had been better, but unfortunately the picture suffers badly from appareaing not to have been taken in bright sunlight. That kind of picture is just crying out for that.

I didn't think much of the veg although the mushrooms did make me a little hungry.

MoSe
02-08-2005, 17:42:21
I found the mushrooms mesmerizing, if only you had cared to clear the ferns in front of them! :bash:

Beta1
02-08-2005, 17:50:26
tunnel vision I'm afraid - I'm always finding stuff in my images I didn't notice when I was taking it.

At an airshow a couple of weeks ago I took what I thought was a great shot of a mustang fighter only to find I had got a loudspeaker pole growing out of the end of the wing...

And with the bees, well you just have to take the light you get! I think theres not enough shadow in the picture which makes it look more washed out than it is.

MDA
02-08-2005, 18:35:02
Great duck. Maybe I'll replace your snail with it as my wallpaper.

I took some really good pictures of a ruined cathedral (in Elgin, I think) on a lucky sunny day in Scotland - except when I got it home there was a worker's scaffold clearly visible up the front left side of it.

protein
02-08-2005, 18:45:26
Fantastic. Expecially the mushroom and duck ones.

self biased
02-08-2005, 19:28:12
mushroom mushroom

Cruddy
02-08-2005, 19:29:19
There's not mushroom in this thread for flippant comments.

Nice pics Beta1. Duck was my favourite.

Japher
02-08-2005, 19:34:18
My cousin's husband does nature shots. His main focus is flowers and rock formations. Yours aren't bad, Beta1. What type of gear are you using?

Scabrous Birdseed
02-08-2005, 19:41:13
I think they're excellent, but I'm not sure how well they'll fare in a nature photography competition. They've got a vibe of artificiality about them.

That's not meant as a critique - with the slightly over-the-top colouration, the narrow focus plane and the sharp, slick detail they've got an almost eeire David Lynch-meets-food-photography type feel. They certainly give me more than almost any nature photo does but they exist in some sort of artists' hyperreality that I'm not sure the beardy real-ale naturalists on the panel will like. (Or whatever they look like.)

Do you have any wider shots, or are they all close-ups?

(I like the bee the best, btw, because of the colours and the composition with the vertical lines. The duck is a close second.)

Immortal Wombat
02-08-2005, 19:52:50
I don't think they're too stylistically different from the other photos on the competition website.

Not sure about putting fungi in the plants directory though. </nerd>

fp
02-08-2005, 20:00:53
Exactly. Taxonomically speaking that makes about as much sense as putting a Moose in the plant category.

fp
02-08-2005, 20:01:29
I also prefer the bee to the duck, btw. They're all excellent though. :beer:

The Norks
02-08-2005, 20:12:17
Originally posted by protein
Fantastic. Expecially the mushroom and duck ones.

I agree. The composition of the mushrooms was best but the duck is just so vivid.

Well done you!

protein
02-08-2005, 20:28:06
mmm. duck and mushrooms. :drool:

MOBIUS
02-08-2005, 20:48:19
A water theme eh? I took some cool waterfall pics in the Brecon Beacons on Monday...:)

Unfortunately I think I need a better camera as my 3.2 megapixels are starting to look decidedly fuzzy and outmoded compared to what's available nowadays - might be time for a new camera!

My faves are the Bee and the Mushrooms - excellent pics BTW

Provost Harrison
02-08-2005, 20:55:40
Originally posted by Japher
My cousin's husband does nature shots.

"Nature shots"? ;)

Japher
02-08-2005, 20:57:28
you have a dirty mind

Debaser
02-08-2005, 21:22:57
Duck would be a thousand times better if you hadn't cut the bottom off of it in my opinion. Likewise there's little composition things about all of them that make me think the photos look good-amatur rather than anything more. All very pretty though, and it's not like I've ever taken anything better so...

Beta1
02-08-2005, 21:35:57
Originally posted by Japher
My cousin's husband does nature shots. His main focus is flowers and rock formations. Yours aren't bad, Beta1. What type of gear are you using?

Fuji s7000z, sometimes with polariser (though I think not on any of these) its a 6 million super CCD fake SLR (ie looks like an SLR but with a fixed lense - albeit a 28-200mm equivalent).

Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed

think they're excellent, but I'm not sure how well they'll fare in a nature photography competition. They've got a vibe of artificiality about them.

That's not meant as a critique - with the slightly over-the-top colouration, the narrow focus plane and the sharp, slick detail they've got an almost eeire David Lynch-meets-food-photography type feel. They certainly give me more than almost any nature photo does but they exist in some sort of artists' hyperreality that I'm not sure the beardy real-ale naturalists on the panel will like. (Or whatever they look like.)

Do you have any wider shots, or are they all close-ups?

(I like the bee the best, btw, because of the colours and the composition with the vertical lines. The duck is a close second.)

I tend to prefer to work in close up or even macro mode if I can so most of the good shots I have are close up/portrait type shots. Judges are John craven, chris packham and jo brand(?) so low on the beardy quotient.

And yes I know fungi aren't plants.

fp
02-08-2005, 23:01:27
I reckon Jo Brand could grow a cracking beard if she wanted to.