PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of this......

Resource Consumer
29-07-2005, 10:07:29
I wonder if anyone can offer any advice

The story : Windows XP Home. COmputer completely hosed down for viruses etc and Norton running.

When it comes to the choose user screen, I choose the default user (actually the only one). The wallpaper comes up on the screen, but no icons and then.....whoosh....reboot time.

It boots in safe mode and I have tried all sorts of options with MSConfig - none of which produces a logical and traceabl;e reason why this happens. e.g., if I cut the startup programs out then it works some times but not others - same for the other options.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Beta1
29-07-2005, 10:08:17
high inertial shock treatment?

Gary
29-07-2005, 10:10:28
Shocking High Inertial Treatment happens.

Gary
29-07-2005, 10:15:22
Could be some kind of conflict I suppose. Safe mode not loading the clashing bits.

Or could be a hardware fault only utilised outside of safe mode.

Anything really.

Have you tried a reinstall from clean ?

Checked all cables, internal and external ?

Power supply tests up to right levels on load ?

Sorry, nothing obvious, just the usual 'pull stuff out and retry' type of suggestion.

Nav
29-07-2005, 13:14:57
If it's random crashing it could be a hardware problem.. ie overheating. maybe a fan has broken down or something.

Deacon
29-07-2005, 22:42:30
Any new hardware or software installed recently?

One toxic combination I've seen is NEC-based USB 2 expansion cards with HP scanners.

Cruddy
30-07-2005, 21:16:25
Originally posted by Resource Consumer

It boots in safe mode and I have tried all sorts of options with MSConfig - none of which produces a logical and traceabl;e reason why this happens. e.g., if I cut the startup programs out then it works some times but not others - same for the other options.

Anyone got any suggestions?

If it boots in safe mode it's probably not hardware. Probably Windows being a pain. Or maybe a corrupted driver.

Tried a recovery? Restore Point? Rollback drivers?

Assuming it's not a virus or malware or similar.

Spartak
01-08-2005, 14:01:04
c: format c:

(no guarantee for outcome) ;)

Resource Consumer
04-08-2005, 12:53:17
Thanks all :

A result.

After many (read dozens) of reboots etc, I managed to update all definition files for Norton, Adaware and Spybit. FInally managed to find a couple of things that had previously been missed.

All seems fine now. I get a couple of funny messages on startup about registry entries that exist but do not correspond to programs and I will steadily exterminate these.

Thanks.