PDA

View Full Version : Your Houmous


Provost Harrison
26-07-2005, 10:50:22
http://scally.typepad.com/cest_moi_qui_lai_fait/images/houmous_vue_1.jpg

It's very nice, and Greek too!

Sir Penguin
27-07-2005, 01:30:10
I make the best Hummus in the world. The stuff in your image is bland crap, I guarantee it.

SP

protein
27-07-2005, 01:42:38
How do you make it? I would guess at chickpeas, tahini and lots of garlic and olive oil. Is that about right?

Sir Penguin
27-07-2005, 04:41:37
Yeah, pretty much. Almost. I essentially riff off the Moosewood cookbook's recipe.

http://invinciblemuffin.org/recipes/condiments/hummus_moosewood.html

I put in about 1/2 to 3/4 the lemon juice and at least twice the garlic, both to taste. I use more tahini, as well as sesame oil (not olive oil). I think that the sesame oil is quite a lot stronger and grosser than olive oil, so you can't add too much--I add the tahini and sesame oil to taste, not to texture. During the blending, I add water until the right consistency is achieved (I make it quite firm, not liquid at all). Soy sauce goes in instead of tamari (since they're pretty much the same thing). And I put in more parsley instead of the scallions.

The important thing, which Moosewood doesn't say, is that the chickpea skins are bitter and tough, and they foul up the final product. I spend some time shucking the chickpeas before putting them in the food processor. It makes all the difference in the world, but it's very time consuming, which is why I guarantee that the stuff in the picture isn't as good as mine. :)

SP

Oerdin
27-07-2005, 05:58:53
Since when did humus become Greek?

RedFred
27-07-2005, 06:28:03
Sounds good SP, except for all that sesame oil.

Sesame oil is too strong for me to use in hummus. I generally use only a few drops of the stuff in stir fries.

Gary
27-07-2005, 08:49:28
Sesame :vom:
Olive :D

Kitsuki
27-07-2005, 09:35:42
Originally posted by Oerdin
Since when did humus become Greek?

What he said...!

Provost Harrison
27-07-2005, 11:07:30
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
Yeah, pretty much. Almost. I essentially riff off the Moosewood cookbook's recipe.

http://invinciblemuffin.org/recipes/condiments/hummus_moosewood.html

I put in about 1/2 to 3/4 the lemon juice and at least twice the garlic, both to taste. I use more tahini, as well as sesame oil (not olive oil). I think that the sesame oil is quite a lot stronger and grosser than olive oil, so you can't add too much--I add the tahini and sesame oil to taste, not to texture. During the blending, I add water until the right consistency is achieved (I make it quite firm, not liquid at all). Soy sauce goes in instead of tamari (since they're pretty much the same thing). And I put in more parsley instead of the scallions.

The important thing, which Moosewood doesn't say, is that the chickpea skins are bitter and tough, and they foul up the final product. I spend some time shucking the chickpeas before putting them in the food processor. It makes all the difference in the world, but it's very time consuming, which is why I guarantee that the stuff in the picture isn't as good as mine. :)

SP

Looks like I've opened Pandora's Box with this thread :nervous:

And what kind of stupid Americanised spelling is 'hummus'? :rolleyes:

Sir Penguin
27-07-2005, 14:38:24
The correct spelling.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=hoummous&btnG=Search

Sesame oil is what's in tahini, so the sesame oil is just adding to the tahini flavour without making the hummus too sticky. I probably put in about 2 or 3 tablespoons. Using sesame oil instead of olive oil also results in a considerably less greasy hummus.

SP

Eklektikos
27-07-2005, 15:35:10
Personally I prefer taramasalata.

protein
27-07-2005, 15:48:09
Ditto, but hummus/homous (or whatever the spelling is) is nice too.

Gary
27-07-2005, 15:56:18
It's often served in Greek restaurants, so it has become associated with them. Probably difficult to trace the origin though, Middle East somewhere I'd guess.

MoSe
27-07-2005, 16:06:40
IIRC I had heard Lebanon
I've never tasted it tho

Funko
27-07-2005, 16:10:41
Never tasted it?!

paiktis22
27-07-2005, 17:02:15
Never heard of it!

Provost Harrison
27-07-2005, 23:40:05
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
The correct spelling.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=hoummous&btnG=Search

Sesame oil is what's in tahini, so the sesame oil is just adding to the tahini flavour without making the hummus too sticky. I probably put in about 2 or 3 tablespoons. Using sesame oil instead of olive oil also results in a considerably less greasy hummus.

SP

Your point?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=houmous&btnG=Search

Immortal Wombat
27-07-2005, 23:42:58
20 thousand vs 637 thousand. Hummus wins, although both are correct according to wikipedia, and arguing the transliteration of something which was never intended to be written in the Latin alphabet is daft.

Sir Penguin
28-07-2005, 01:18:36
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Your point?
That you're a noxious cockbag.

SP

Funko
28-07-2005, 09:56:30
:lol:

MoSe
28-07-2005, 09:59:40
Originally posted by Funko
Never tasted it?!
and I think I only first heard about it 2 or 3 years ago, probably on the internet.

The sauce is mostly unknown in Italy, except I figure in some ethnic restaurant, or if you fancy what for us is "exotic" cuisine...

I also had traveled a bit in western europe (until say 15yrs ago), always curious for local and different food, and in greece, and never heard about it.

MoSe
28-07-2005, 10:02:00
Originally posted by MoSe
The sauce is mostly unknown in Italy, except I figure in some ethnic restaurant, or if you fancy what for us is "exotic" cuisine...


as I'd say is tahini, and all those tikkathis masalathat that you constantly talk about as if they were obvious ingredients of the western way of eating... :confused:

Dyl Ulenspiegel
28-07-2005, 10:12:13
I've never seen Hummus with Pita. You people are weird and should be drowned in peanut butter.

paiktis22
28-07-2005, 11:44:58
Tahini, I've heard of.

Provost Harrison
28-07-2005, 22:51:37
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
That you're a noxious cockbag.

SP

Now that's not a very nice thing to say, is it?

Sir Penguin
28-07-2005, 22:54:35
No. :)

Tahini is sesame seed paste. It's disgusting, but it make hummus good.

SP

The Norks
28-07-2005, 23:44:31
houmous is nice with a bit of lemon juice
Lebanese food is lovely too, like greek but a bit more delicate

Provost Harrison
29-07-2005, 01:03:02
Same here, I am supposed to be going out for a Lebanese at some point in the near future :)

Sir Penguin
29-07-2005, 05:31:35
That's got to be the weirdest corruption you guys have contributed to the language.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
29-07-2005, 06:43:00
Indeed: dictionary.com doesn't even list it as an alternative spelling...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hummus

Provost Harrison
29-07-2005, 11:45:40
Well it's obviously a glaring omission that should be updated - I've quite amply demonstrated that is a more than valid expression for it.

Funko
29-07-2005, 11:50:18
Or that it's a common misspelling.

Nills Lagerbaak
29-07-2005, 11:51:20
Taramasalata is the single most file thing in the world. It's like blended fish. Yeuch.

Provost Harrison
29-07-2005, 11:52:19
Originally posted by Funko
Or that it's a common misspelling.

No.

Funko
29-07-2005, 11:53:58
I'm just pointing out that your proof is wack.

eg search for thier.

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,220,000 for thier. (0.52 seconds)

The Norks
29-07-2005, 11:55:31
:lol: wack

Provost Harrison
29-07-2005, 11:57:03
Originally posted by Funko
I'm just pointing out that your proof is wack.

eg search for thier.

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,220,000 for thier. (0.52 seconds)

It's a pretty damn common spelling, I'm sure you've come across it numerous times as I have and it certainly seems to be the dominant one everywhere I have been...

Provost Harrison
29-07-2005, 12:01:02
What if I go to any of the online supermarkets?

http://www.sainsburystoyou.com/index.jsp?bmUID=1122634683643

http://www.asda.com/asda_shop/sys/web_sys02_a_main_frameset.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@033 5067777.1122634747@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladdffhghjegcfkfcfkjdgoodgmi.0

Not looked at Tesco because I couldn't be arsed to register to get on. So don't blast me for what is the result of some Americanisation...

Funko
29-07-2005, 12:03:15
I'm not blasting you, just saying that because something appears a lot of times in google isn't proof. :)

Provost Harrison
29-07-2005, 12:03:57
So does this other variant so your point? And look at the damn links I've just provided...

Funko
29-07-2005, 12:06:39
I never disputed for a second that houmous was a valid spelling, just making sure your proof is rigourous. ;)

Provost Harrison
29-07-2005, 12:07:21
So why don't you apply that for anyone else? You know I'm getting pretty pig sick of some of the attitude I get at this place...

Nills Lagerbaak
29-07-2005, 12:08:20
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
It's a pretty damn common spelling, I'm sure you've come across it humerous times as I have and it certainly seems to be the dominant one everywhere I have been... ]

Gary
29-07-2005, 12:08:33
Should I hold the coats ?

Provost Harrison
29-07-2005, 12:09:34
And Nills, I am not even going to comment on your spelling :p

MoSe
29-07-2005, 12:15:47
handbags at brunch
if funko can get his one back from Nills, that is

Nills Lagerbaak
29-07-2005, 12:15:53
Originally posted by Gary
Should I hold the coats ?

I think you'd better order a taxi, and make it a minibus

Funko
29-07-2005, 12:16:45
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
So why don't you apply that for anyone else? You know I'm getting pretty pig sick of some of the attitude I get at this place...

What the hell are you on about? :confused:

I have no idea what you think's going on but I was just joking around.

The Norks
29-07-2005, 12:19:04
i cant believe you are all arguing over the spelling of a pseudo-greek dip

MoSe
29-07-2005, 12:19:14
we'd need more prouf about that

Nills Lagerbaak
29-07-2005, 12:20:05
I can't believe someone is getting his celery in a twist over a pseudo-greek dip!

Funko
29-07-2005, 12:20:28
Originally posted by The Norks
i cant believe you are all arguing over the spelling of a pseudo-greek dip

I can believe that, I can't believe anyone's taking it seriously/personally and not entirely humurusly.

MoSe
29-07-2005, 12:21:44
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
over a pseudo-greek dip!

I'd question Broussel Sproots too

The Norks
29-07-2005, 12:22:14
houmousrouly?

MoSe
29-07-2005, 12:22:46
you roule

The Norks
29-07-2005, 12:23:49
anyway, arguing about spelling on here at all is like trying to catch a greased pig, what with the brit and american variations, the euro contingent, and lets face it, MrG :D

Lets all get stoned and make love instead

Nills Lagerbaak
29-07-2005, 12:24:14
I roque fort evah!

Dyl Ulenspiegel
29-07-2005, 13:32:38
Originally posted by MoSe
you roule

Ma roule?

Sir Penguin
29-07-2005, 14:23:31
Ja.

SP

Drekkus
29-07-2005, 14:34:20
Your dutch is improving!

Dyl Ulenspiegel
29-07-2005, 14:34:59
Bad penguin, bad.

MoSe
29-07-2005, 14:35:16
mij duits is improvising

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
29-07-2005, 19:40:18
Originally posted by The Norks
i cant believe you are all arguing over the spelling of a pseudo-greek dip

We're not, we're arguing over the MISspelling of a pseudo-greek dip. There's a world of difference.

Oerdin
29-07-2005, 20:15:34
I think I will go buy some hummus and pita bread today. It goes best when the pita is slightly toasted and I like to make a side appetizer of a plate with thin cut onions, thin cut cucumber, & slices of mozzarella cheese then you just drizzle a bit of olive oil over it. Lovely.

Sir Penguin
30-07-2005, 06:01:40
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
Indeed: dictionary.com doesn't even list it as an alternative spelling...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hummus
I'm not talking about that, I mean the "have a Lebanese" thing. It sounds completely bizarre to my Canadian (inner) ear.

SP

notyoueither
30-07-2005, 06:46:11
Originally posted by The Norks
Lets all get stoned and make love instead

You're going to give Chris a coronary.

zmama
30-07-2005, 09:59:24
Mozzarella???

No nonoNO
feta

mr.G
31-07-2005, 11:25:04
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
So why don't you apply that for anyone else? You know I'm getting pretty pig sick of some of the attitude I get at this place... pig sick? does that include falling on the pavement looking goofy and slobber a bit?

The Norks
31-07-2005, 15:12:16
Originally posted by notyoueither
You're going to give Chris a coronary.

he'll die with a smile on his face though :D

Special Ed
01-08-2005, 21:08:52
hommos makes me make in my pants

Special Ed
01-08-2005, 21:10:10
Yaaay!